SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#139364 - 03/01/05 12:47 PM No Distance Too Far..
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Hi everybody..

This is a new song I just finished recording today. I had some time off and put it to good use by doing what I and I'm sure everybody else on this Forum likes to do - make music.

I actually put this song together (the chords, melody & structure) yesterday but did the actual recording today. I am using a Style from the G70 that has been so graciously provided by Brian Miles of the Yahoo PSR Group in conjunction with Joe Waters PSR Tutorial site where the Styles are available for download.

This is an original composition called "No Distance Too Far" and it has a Jazz feel to it (at least to me). Btw, I'm no purist as far as any Genre goes so if someone thinks this song is considered in a different Genre then please share your opinion.

I recorded the song in realtime to my Tyros' Sequencer then added a few Multipads when recording to my PC.

I also added an .mp3PRO version for those on dial-up.

No Distance Too Far

No Distance Too Far .mp3PRO version.

Best regards,
Mike

PS: The song can also be found on my web site song page - Here

#139365 - 03/01/05 05:50 PM Re: No Distance Too Far..
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Nice! I don't know if you did this on purpose, but the delay on the trumpet gives it character.

Chony

#139366 - 03/01/05 05:54 PM Re: No Distance Too Far..
chony Offline

If I could give a suggestion as well: When playing with the trumpet instrument try sliding into notes by hitting the previous note/s on your way to the note you want to play.

This gives it a much more natural (as opposed to keyboard) sound.

Chony

#139367 - 03/01/05 06:17 PM Re: No Distance Too Far..
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Mike,
Really enjoyed you composition. When I was a teen my mum would not have a TV in the house.(Bad influence she said!) I was allowed a transistor radio and used to go to sleep with it playing under my pillow. Late at night they used to play all this cool jazz stuff and 'No Distance Too Far' took me instantly back to those days.(and nights )
Very nice work
best wishes
Tony

#139368 - 03/01/05 08:34 PM Re: No Distance Too Far..
Alone&Forsaken Offline

Horn work would better be highlighted, with a thicker bass ( with some sustain ), a change of drum kits ( something with more natural snare hits at least ) , some organ/electric piano chords.

The horn has a somewhat natural sound to it, that I just feel could be enhanced if it wasn't in conflict with other elements...and with slight changes to better meld things.

More or less...pick voices thats strong points can counter the weak points of another.

At least thats what I would try to do

"If I could give a suggestion as well: When playing with the trumpet instrument try sliding into notes by hitting the previous note/s on your way to the note you want to play.

This gives it a much more natural (as opposed to keyboard) sound."

Not to pick on ya keyBplayer, only I agree with this much...slides/slurs/hammers can help flesh things out. Also if the tryos horns have multisamples, its nice to throw a few well placed squeals and squawks ( sustained, or just quick higher octave stabs whatever in ). Might want to screw around with the mod wheel for some wavering inflections. Outside of that...slight pitch bend work can help smooth out slides/slurs/hammers if you wanted to go all out.

#139369 - 03/01/05 09:56 PM Re: No Distance Too Far..
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I like it a lot. Very pleasant listening.
DonM

#139370 - 03/04/05 12:51 PM Re: No Distance Too Far..
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Thanks everybody for your comments and suggestions. I appreciate them very much!

I will try and add some slide notes in future songs that use a Trumpet sound. That's a great suggestion btw.

PS: Sorry for the delay in my response. I've been busier than a beaver lately and haven't been able to post until now.

Thanks again everybody for your kind words and pointers.

Best regards,
Mike

#139371 - 03/04/05 01:58 PM Re: No Distance Too Far..
chony Offline

Listening again, you have some small examples of slides and bends in the mute trumpet intro of the song. Good Luck. Chony.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online