SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#135710 - 01/17/05 06:46 PM Sampling somehow? and arpeggios!
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Hello, I thought id kill 2 birds with one stone here.

First is i know i cant do my own sampleing with my Xp-60 itself, but is there some way to do so through a device? And also cheap is a big word here (like always hehe).

Another thing is I love my arpeggio feature on my XP-60, although, it doesnt have enough and would like to get more. Is that possible? If so, how can I?

Thanks,

Phil

#135711 - 01/17/05 07:12 PM Re: Sampling somehow? and arpeggios!
Pennywizz6 Offline

Like how would something like this work?... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38090&item=3775361497&rd=1 It looks pretty sweet for the price.

Phil

#135712 - 01/17/05 07:52 PM Re: Sampling somehow? and arpeggios!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Phil, you could buy an external sampler and use it with the XP-60. If you want hardware sampling the first one that comes to mind is the Boss SP-303. I think it goes for $299.00 It's a decent sampler and excellent for someone wanting to get into sampling. Of course you can also search Ebay and look for older models as well.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#135713 - 01/17/05 08:00 PM Re: Sampling somehow? and arpeggios!
Pennywizz6 Offline

Thats pretty nifty there squeak. Whats a good general word for what im looking for? 300 still seems alot to me. I still need to buy a car in this next year! I need a job....

Phil

#135714 - 01/17/05 08:23 PM Re: Sampling somehow? and arpeggios!
squeak_D Offline

If you're looking for something new and half way decent you're looking at a couple hundred at least. There are older models out there. Go to ebay and do a search. I know Yammi, Boss, and even Zoom have some good older models. As far as doing arpeggios..., man good luck! It takes a lot of practice to program those things. When you get the hang of it though there's a lot you can do. I know a guy who can program in his sleep when it comes to arpeggios. He uses them for guitar grooves, drum grooves, and other things. He's also a stubborn little bastard too. I asked him to show me how he does it and he hoards it all for himself I don't know why, but he want share his techniques.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#135715 - 01/17/05 08:25 PM Re: Sampling somehow? and arpeggios!
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Can you use your computer as a sampling device ? If so, how about... free ?
http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php?m ode=re...=&sort=1&rpp=30

There are 30 or so listed there .

Hmm while we're at it .. Arpeggiators
http://download.e-not.net/audio/641/midioz-arp-lite.html
http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/audio/arpeg.htm

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-17-2005).]

#135716 - 01/17/05 08:35 PM Re: Sampling somehow? and arpeggios!
Pennywizz6 Offline

Wow, thanks guys! Thats enough to keep my busy for... a looong time haha. With the sampler for my comp, can i save them as midi and import them into my KB?

Thanks!

Phil

#135717 - 01/17/05 08:50 PM Re: Sampling somehow? and arpeggios!
squeak_D Offline

Nope-sorry Phil, the XP-60 does not have the internal memory to handle samples. You could use the software, but you would not be able to transfer those into the XP...

Squeak

#135718 - 01/17/05 08:52 PM Re: Sampling somehow? and arpeggios!
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I'm not sure what capabilities an xp60 has ( never owned any xp's ), but you can't import samples into any machine via midi, unless of course the kb has a utility that works via a midi transfer protocl that will actually carry and transfer .wav, aiff or other audio files to your kb ( like the file transfer utility in the original Motif does ). If the XP doesn't have internal sampling capability, ( the ability to store audio based samples, this won't work anyway. Midi is simply a set of commands that tells your sound module what to do. Of itself, it has no audio rendering capability.

In the scenario I gave you, your computer would become your sound module. That's how software sampling works. The XP60 then could become your controller ( XP60 midi out to sampling apps midi in ).

As far as the arps, does the xp60 allow for user arps ? For example, the Motif ES does, so what I have to do is save an arp pattern as a midifile, then introduce the midifile that into the Motif's internal sequencer, and assign the pattern from there to a user arp. The ES has a utility built in for such conversion, and it works like a charm.

I have no idea if the XP60 is similar, but I suspect it isn't... ? But at very worst, you do a virtual reverse of the setup for the computer sampling function by sending the arps from the computer into the XP60 as your sound module. Hmmm I'm going to have to have a look at the XP60 specs and capabilities when I get a chance to see if I'm missing something else here .. Good Luck Phil.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-17-2005).]

#135719 - 01/17/05 09:07 PM Re: Sampling somehow? and arpeggios!
squeak_D Offline

If memory servers me correctly AJ I think the XP does allow user arps. It's specs are pretty good. What Roland used as a selling point was the sequencer. At the time 60,000 notes was really good (and still is in my opinion), but the unit had (non-stop loop recording) Big selling point. Plus it really has its power in the ability to load 4 expansion cards. It has 61 semi weighted keys, good synth engine (only one insert though), real time sliders, direct track muting, overall was a really hot synth when it was released.

Squeak

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online