SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#114893 - 01/03/05 07:32 PM Spot monitors with z2200
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I own two Carvin spot monitors. I am using the Behringer UB1002 mixer with my Logitech z2200 system (the sub + two satellites). Could I add these spot monitors to the mix without any other equipment? Do you think it would add favorably to the sound quality or volume? Probably a dumb question. I get confused with "powered" versus "non-powered" speakers and how to make it all work.

Or use these instead of the satellites? Would that be better? Those little satellites are better than these $90 (each) speakers?

They look like this at this page:
http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=PM5-B&CID=SPM

The Carvin site says:

The PM5 is a high-end water resistant monitor that is manufatured for Carvin to our strict standards. It delivers reference quality sound for use in project studios, commercial buildings, schools, boardrooms, restaurants, and home theater/home stereo applications. The bass performance is superior to conventional 5" speakers due to the tuned port design. The OMNI tweeter provides fine adjustmens for directing the high frequencies to your listening position with its swivel design. The water resistant design allows for outdoor use in patios and backyards. Carvin has two optional mounting brackets available, however the PM5 comes with standard mounting slots built into the molded outer case. PM5 speakers are available in black and white. The speakers are also paintable to match your custom color schemes.

The PM5 is simply the best spot/reference monitor made!

* The secret is that the PM5 is not your typical spot monitor, but an onstage reference monitor!
* As a true 2-Way system, you get the full audio spectrum from 86 to 19.5kHz.
* Excellent top-end performance with superb dispersion allows you to hear what you have missed with other spot monitors.
* The PM5 features exceptional bass from a heavy-duty 5 1/4" woofer with a large magnet & tuned-ported enclosure.
* 125W capacity
* High output level is "big" sounding, not what you'd expect from a small enclosure.
* High impact molded enclosure (not plastic) incorporates mounting slots for hanging.
* The Black PM5-B features a 20¼ angle insert bracket to accept a mic stand for spot monitoring & dual 1/4" speaker jacks (so you can daisy-chain PM5-B's together) along with wire terminals. The PM5-W (white) features only wire terminals. We recommend the PS-150-2 system, our DCM150 or DCM1000 power amps.

Technical Specs

Frequency Response:75 Hz to 19.5 kHz
Power Handling:125w RMS
Recommended Amp:50 to 150 watts
Nominal Impedance:8½
Inputs/Outputs:Two 1/4"(PM5B) , two spring terminals
Woofer Enclosure Type:Vented Box
Construction:Molded Enclosure
Dim/Wt:10.5"H x 6.75D" x 6.75W * 5 lbs.

[This message has been edited by SemiLiveMusic (edited 01-03-2005).]

#114894 - 01/03/05 07:35 PM Re: Spot monitors with z2200
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Some of you guys read too many specs.
Just listen to them, and if they do the job - tell us about it!
I mean no harm, but geeze ...... all this reading about SPL's and OHMS matching and projection .... just PLUG them in and listen !!!!!! !!!!!!
Sorry for the rant .... I get nuts by overanalyzing anything.

#114895 - 01/03/05 07:42 PM Re: Spot monitors with z2200
SemiLiveMusic Offline

I want to know if they'd work with what I described. Literally. Or if I need something else to make it go. I don't have the monitors here or I _would_ try them. I posted the specs because people here like to quote specs, that's why. I couldn't care less about specs.

#114896 - 01/03/05 08:02 PM Re: Spot monitors with z2200
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
They won't work unless you use an power amp with them. Just think of a powered speaker as one with the amp built into the speaker box, that's all. So if you are using non-powered speakers, you'll need an amp, with a powered speaker, you won't.

#114897 - 01/03/05 08:04 PM Re: Spot monitors with z2200
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I hear ya SLM.... the most important thing you need to know is the ohmage of the sattelites. as long as you don't push the system past it's limits, you're OK. If you alter the Ohm load to the tops, you'll screw up the crossover point, and who knows WHAT it will sound like.

#114898 - 01/03/05 08:05 PM Re: Spot monitors with z2200
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by GlennT:
They won't work unless you use an power amp with them. Just think of a powered speaker as one with the amp built into the speaker box, that's all. So if you are using non-powered speakers, you'll need an amp, with a powered speaker, you won't.

If I had a power amp, would you think those two spot monitors would add a lot of volume or not? Thanks, that's what

#114899 - 01/03/05 08:22 PM Re: Spot monitors with z2200
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
I have those monitors and I also have the z2200 system, but I would not use them together. Not because it wouldn't work, but because of the amount of equipment you're using.

The Z2200 is a 3 piece system plus your mixer, then adding the monitors plus a power amp. That adds up to 7 pieces plus a wiring mess. Are you setting up for studio or playing out? Either way, I'd advise not mixing the two, more trouble than it's worth.

#114900 - 01/03/05 08:27 PM Re: Spot monitors with z2200
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by GlennT:
I have those monitors and I also have the z2200 system, but I would not use them together. Not because it wouldn't work, but because of the amount of equipment you're using.

The Z2200 is a 3 piece system plus your mixer, then adding the monitors plus a power amp. That adds up to 7 pieces plus a wiring mess. Are you setting up for studio or playing out? Either way, I'd advise not mixing the two, more trouble than it's worth.

Hey Glenn, how do you attach the speakers to a stand? What kind of stand? I cannot believe Carvin sold me regular mic stands. You just stick them on top and the hole in the bottom is only about a half inch depth. Talk about flimsy. I griped to Carvin. Two guys agreed with me. From a pro-line company, it is awfully shoddy. So, how do you do it?

I was asking the question meaning, in case a job came up where you needed more volume. If you didn't have another PA (I do, today, but it's for sale, the big Carvin), you could bring the power amp and two monitor speakers. Just wondering. Because even if I keep the big system, it's still WAY bigger and heavier and harder to haul around than this setup would be.

#114901 - 01/03/05 11:49 PM Re: Spot monitors with z2200
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Monitors are for hearing yourself, up close. The bass response (I think it said 86) wouldn't be adequate for anything else.
DonM

#114902 - 01/03/05 11:56 PM Re: Spot monitors with z2200
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
PM5 (yes I've tried them)is mostly "in your face"monitor on stage (for horn,KB players etc),you can't use as a FOH PA.it sounds more like gtr/kb amp with small drivers.too middy regardless of EQing.it (sound wise)will not fit as a studio monitor or main speaker for live use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online