SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#172588 - 12/19/04 12:08 PM Got my new G70
twice Offline

Loc: Skive, Denmark
Hello
I live in Denmark and friday I've got my new G70, and I like - at first I'v dont like the sound of the whole keyboard it was to dark and somehow sound like it was smoot in a blancket, but then I go to mastertool sektion and take away all the compresion, and it come to live. I have Tyros to, and it sounds also great, but the G70 sound more like a real band.

#172589 - 12/19/04 01:22 PM Re: Got my new G70
R-F Offline

Loc: Berlin/ Germany
Hi,
first congratulations to your organ.
About the master compressor: I would set less ratio and set the master equalizer boosting treble. Or what about using an external opto compressor (best results without side effects, THE 60's sound)
Did you try to connect both keyboards via MIDI?
As I was listen to a presentation, I noticed, that the G-70 drums sounds not so good, as the Yamaha ones.
So I thought, it could be a good idea, to set the G-70 internal drums "local off" and use the Tyros drums.
But the GM-standard knows only a standard drum set and the drums "Hi Bass Drum" on C and higher.
So the Tyros drum sets will not match with Roland drum sets.
As I used some MIDIs at my Yamaha I noticed a strange hand claping. The reason was, this file was created with Roland equipment.
At Yamaha the brush set plays at the hand clap key (E flat) hand clap, of course.
At Roland and other brands the brush set plays at the hand clap key a brush hit.
But at the standard drum sets, the lower key's drum sounds are so different.
I don't know about the Roland styles in general, but I would connect Roland and Tyros. Maybe it sounds good, when Roland's arranger section plays the Tyros drums.
Set both instruments so:
- Roland drum tracks local off
- transmitting channel the same as Tyros's Rhythm 1 receiving channel
- no transmitting or receiving of programm changes
- set the drum set using the Tyros style revoicing menu
If the Tyros drum sets doesn't match with Roland styles, it's possible to create new drum sets at Tyros and to change the drum mapping.
But at all, I would use MIDI.
You can set both instruments, that the Roland recognizes the chords played on Tyros and otherwise. Good for using Brass ensemble on Tyros and Sax ensemble on G70.
Another good idea is, to play the Roland G70 accordeons with the Tyros's non weighted keyboard (organ and accordeon are with non weighted keys) and to play the Yamaha voices using the Roland light weighted keys.
About styles, some songs are perfect with 2 variations, so you can use the available style software for Roland. But for medleys I would use the styles for Yamaha.
A good link for styles Styles & Music, Style and MIDI for 12,95 EUR
but if you are able to understand German go to this link d-o-o same software as "Styles & Music" but single styles available
and the styles are cheaper.
Another German company is Hage, Tyros and Roland 2 variation styles
but here are single styles more expensive, better you buy style collections (with 6 styles for all brands) or "Mein Keyboard" collections with 8 styles for one brand.
The application "Hage Data Base" shows all song titles and all products containing the styles. www.top-styles.de supports all brands with long pattern styles and all style disks available with song book.
Maybe you know Style disk warehouse .

------------------
Regards
RF

#172590 - 12/20/04 04:41 AM Re: Got my new G70
Wis Offline

Rolands drumsounds are very good, you do not
need a Tyros for that at all. In every drum-
track you can edit every drumnote as you want
. Of course personal taste can matter but to
use another keyboard for one or more sounds
is absolutely not neccesary.

#172591 - 12/20/04 05:59 AM Re: Got my new G70
ironhill Offline

Loc: NRW, Germany
Congratulation Twice,
I have a question: what is shown on the display after put down the 16 track sequencer key.
Is there a field 'STYLE CONVERTER' at the right hand side or is it not?

#172592 - 12/20/04 10:33 AM Re: Got my new G70
twice Offline

Loc: Skive, Denmark
Hello
No there is no funktions in the 16 track seg. mode call "style converter" - there is no need to use drums from the tyros because the drums in g70 is far better, but then again is it a matter of taste, one think is disapointet and thats the grand piano, I have a Yamaha P200 and is sound better, but I like the g70 because is sound like a real band and is very inspiring to work with as songwriter it give you so many ideas.
One think I have notice is that the sound in there right hand is not very high, but that can of couse be edit. So my conclusion is that- If you want a keyboard that sound nice right out of the box buy a Tyros - if you want a keyboard that you have to grow with -and work with, and wont to sound like a real band buy a G70

#172593 - 12/20/04 10:47 AM Re: Got my new G70
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by twice:
one think is disapointet and thats the grand piano

This is SURPRISING to hear because I had assumed the G70 includes some of the SAME impressive acoustic piano samples included in the Fantom. Is this not the case?

Scott

#172594 - 12/20/04 11:42 AM Re: Got my new G70
Tom NL Offline

Loc: Holland
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
This is SURPRISING to hear because I had assumed the G70 includes some of the SAME impressive acoustic piano samples included in the Fantom. Is this not the case?

Scott

Scott,

Your're absolutely right. The grand piano is exactly the same as in the Fantom-X, that is something I specificly asked the Roland demonstrator and he assured me it is!

It actually contains about 800 individual samples and I personally think it is the best digital piano available. But then again it's all a matter of personal taste. Some people seem to like the Korg piano samples, because they really cut through the mix. But to my ears they sound a bit too harsh.

I know from the performances on your website that you're a great pianoplayer, so my guess is that you will very much enjoy the 76 semi-weighted keys and the delicate grandpiano. But of course you will have to try it out yourself....

BTW, you can also add an SRX expansion board later on. There is a dedicated board with 64Mb of pianosamples. you can listen to the samples here: http://www.roland.be/sound-examples/DEMOS/SRX/index.html

I listened to all the boards there and found that the SRX-07 contains lots of keyboardsounds among which are some fantasich Fender Rhodes, but also some real authentic B3 sounds! I wonder if you can make the internal virtual tonewheels sound that good, but i doubt it.

------------------
Tom NL

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online