SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#163676 - 12/10/04 05:59 AM Nice gig last night
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Played a real nice function at the Ohio Masonic Home in Springfield, OH last night. It was their annual Christmas party which brings about a dozen of the highest rankings Grand Lodge Officers from all over the state. There were between 600-700 people in attendance. (The Masonic Home is a renovated Castle and is massive.)

It is a HUGE deal at this home...

I did a basic 45 minute program playing mostly Christmas tunes of course. Then, to close with, I did Silent Night. I invited the audience to please sing with me. I was up on an elevated stage with full lighting and looking down at the decorated room was a awesome site. (I'm sure I had a better view than my audience did, lol) Once I started, the AD dimmed the lights in the auditorium and the small candles throughout the hall gave it an almost church type feel.

Each verse built as I used a Xmas Waltz style w/strings underneath my chording and singing. After the 3rd verse...I killed the accompianment and just used the strings, which I dropped the volume by half. The result was 600+ people singing Silent Night with georgous strings as a bed behind it. The audience had stood when I started it and the front half of the room had all joined hands and were swaying gently to the song.

At the end of the final verse, you could've heard a pin drop except for the sound of a few women crying.

Now, people crying when I sing is no big deal, but this is likely to be THE warmest moment I'll be a part of this season.

One of those nights when everything seemed to work like you want it too.

What a great job I have!

Bill in Dayton

#163677 - 12/10/04 06:35 AM Re: Nice gig last night
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
A beautiful story, Bill ... Merry Christmas ....
t.

#163678 - 12/10/04 07:10 AM Re: Nice gig last night
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Wow!!! COngratulations. You paint a beautifull picture. I can visualize that in my minds eye and ear. There is something about many voices singing without accompaniment (exccpt for strings) that is just awesome.
Starkeer

#163679 - 12/10/04 07:22 AM Re: Nice gig last night
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Moments such as that come along very rarely. I've had a couple. It's sort of like making a birdie on the 18th hole--it keeps you coming back.
DonM

#163680 - 12/10/04 07:53 AM Re: Nice gig last night
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Hi Bill.

This kind of work show us how emotion we can share. It's amazing.

My congrats from Brasil
Chico

#163681 - 12/10/04 08:21 AM Re: Nice gig last night
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Hey, that's an awesome story. Way to go and good for you.

#163682 - 12/10/04 12:32 PM Re: Nice gig last night
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
M&M's
....Magic Moments

------------------
...L

#163683 - 12/10/04 08:59 PM Re: Nice gig last night
Arthur R. Jacobs Offline

Loc: Alma, Michigan, 48801 USA
Bill: A very nice post. I live at the Masonic Home of Michigan in Alma. Almost as big as Ohio, we have 450 residents. We also conduct a similar Christmas Program in our beautiful three million dollar Chapel. I play at the home on my KN-6500 quite often, but we have an employee that play's our large Rogers Organ for this Christmas Observance. Believe me when I say he is very close to Lenny Dee in the quality of his playing, I mean just that. Thanks for your post, and I hope this post of mine is of some interest to you..........ARJ

#163684 - 12/11/04 09:09 PM Re: Nice gig last night
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Bill... congrats on obviously a job well done.

Glenn

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online