SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#119612 - 11/01/04 01:00 PM Recording Piano
dazart Offline

Loc: England
Hi,
A lot of digital pianos only have 1 track song for recording,which is not a lot of use to me as my Yamaha P80 only has 1.
If I have spent several months at mastering a new piece I want to be able to record it and save it for playback.
I could save it to tape but even better if I saved it to a cd.
Then my friends and people I work with could demo it on there hifi systems.

I dont have any tools to even do a recording to tape.
Do you save any of your masterpieces and if so what do you all use to record with?

regards,
Daz.

#119613 - 11/01/04 01:55 PM Re: Recording Piano
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Depending on what your P80 has in the way of outs, you could rca or 1/4" out to a stand alone cassette, a digital recorder, hard into computer, there's any amount of different ways of doing it. If you don't have an in house studio set-up, I'm sure there's someone near you, if not on this forum, who could help you out. Don't get disheartened, your music will find a way.
------------------
...L

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 11-01-2004).]

#119614 - 11/01/04 02:18 PM Re: Recording Piano
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I would suggest an inexpensive digital recorder. Or you could buy an inexpensive software recording package that allows you to record audio tracks. With the software you could burn to CD from there. If you use a digital recorder, you can buy one with or without a CD burner (however price will be more with CD burner). There are several nice ones out there that record to Smart Media or Flash cards. There are several ways to get it to your computer for CD burning after that. I suggest you check out some music sites such as www.music123.com www.americanmusical.com www.musiciansfriend.com

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#119615 - 11/01/04 06:33 PM Re: Recording Piano
The Accordionist Offline

I use a Yamaha AW16G standalone DAW. It runs about $900 new now but you can get them on eBay for around $700.

I record my Technics digital piano into the 16G all the time. 1/4" stereo out of the Technics into two separate 16G 1/4" inputs. You can add all kinds of effects that really bring out the piano.

Might be a tad more than you wanted to spend but it's what I use and I couldn't be happier. I think Korg and Tascam make some really cheap DAW's that get really great reviews.

If you want to learn everything there is to know about the 16G you can go to www.aw16g.com. It's a BBS not unlike this one only dedicated to the AW16G. It's an amazing resource.

Good luck.

Tommy

#119616 - 11/03/04 05:27 AM Re: Recording Piano
acctjm Offline

Loc: Eastern PA
It may be more cost effective for you to go to a recording studio and pay the fees for recording your piece and putting it on cd or tape.

Lower prices of home digital recording equipment has allowed many musicians to open small studios. The quality of recordings they can do might be perfectly acceptable for your requirements. You should check around to see if there are any in your area.
I've seen advertised rates in the $20/hour range.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online