SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#220353 - 11/01/04 10:40 AM Honest opinions...
Linn Campbell Offline

Loc: Navarre Beach, FL USA
I was thinking about putting together a group of four (two male two female) to do oldies but goodies type of music. I am thinking about the 50+ crowd as a target. Probably would consist of a kb and guitar over midi files maybe some mp3's. The emphasis would be on vocals and harmony vocal stuff. I have heard a few a capella groups doing doo wop stuff. Some of them pretty good, but I still think a little accompaniement would make it better. My questions are: Has this been done to death? Would there be any market for this stuff? Would there be enough money to pay four band members? What venues would be interested it this stuff? Any thoughts?

#220354 - 11/01/04 10:43 AM Re: Honest opinions...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The focus should be on presentation and vocals, and it sounds like that's your direction. In the Phily area ( you know, the home of the UNBEATEN EAGLES ! ) doo wop and oldies sell like crazy.
Make good solid trax, dress nice and sing your hearts out. Look into the private party sector for the real money, but the area bars should be willing to pay $300 or so if you can keep the crowd happy. Over 3 is a stretch unless you have a following around here.

#220355 - 11/01/04 11:59 AM Re: Honest opinions...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Linn, sounds like a winner. Too bad you're on the wrong end of I-75 for me; I'm interested.

Cass - Detroit

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 11-01-2004).]

#220356 - 11/01/04 12:00 PM Re: Honest opinions...
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
I still am with a 6 piece (perc.,guitar,bass,2 female vocalists, & myself on kb & guitar). We mainly do corporate gigs, private functions. Full costume changes (ladies do about 20 per show, the guys do about 10-12).There's also choreography, acting, inter-action with the audience. We do a revue from the 50's right up to the 80's. It's a lot of work, a lot of money goes into production (lights/sound etc.)As a performer/player, from a $2500 fee, I would receive $250 for a 3 hour gig (which in fact is about 7 hours) what with set-up, costume arranging, tear down...we do our own roadie work obviously).
The band/show initially used midi tracks, and we were all on in-ear monitors. We dropped the midi about a year & a half ago, brought in another guitarist and I concentrated on all the other background (strings,brass,keys, whatever was required). It's a LOT of work, sometimes very stressful, very demanding, and not overly financially rewarding.
These types of shows have been done to death...in fact, we have 4 more that we're under contract to do, and then the show band is folding, so we can concentrate on our 5 piece band which is playing very regularly around these parts.
The midi idea is not a bad idea, but you'll find you're tied to a machine, tied to a set length, you can't have that spontaniety that's needed in many instances. Since we went without the midi accompanyment, there was much more energy on stage, and obviously we had the freedom to milk a number if the audience was really into it, and wanted to continue dancing or watching the on-going piece.
Good Luck Linn, in whatever you decide, be prepared for a lot of work, and at the same time, a lot of fun.
When it stops being enjoyable...that's when I decide to pack it in.
This is the site of the show band. The video was done at a Rock & Roll Revival, last year.
http://www.Waybacks.ca

------------------
...L

#220357 - 11/01/04 01:10 PM Re: Honest opinions...
Linn Campbell Offline

Loc: Navarre Beach, FL USA
Cass,
I moved from Detroit (Southgate) about ten years ago. Now live in the panhandle of FL near Pensacola. Cass... get a clue! Move down here and we can doo wop to the retired baby-boomers and get rich beyond our wildest dreams. Unless you're a slush, snow, and sleet fan of course. If you are, you're in the right place.

#220358 - 11/01/04 01:22 PM Re: Honest opinions...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Southgate? Are you kidding, that's me! Windemere St. by the ball parks. Good to hear from you. I do go down to FLA and will be retiring next June. I'm usually near Vero or Silver Springs, though.

#220359 - 11/01/04 04:25 PM Re: Honest opinions...
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Linn,

This group has been around for a long time, is booked solid and put on an incredible show. http://www.thehubcaps.com/ Unfortunately, the last time I saw them, they had hired a you man to do their sound work, a person that cranked up the volume to the point where it was causing hearing damage. Young folks have that tendency. I understand that they've since dumped him for an older guy with a softer touch.

You should be able to do well in the sunny south, but I doubt that you'll be able to get the fees this group charged. A couple years ago, they were hauling in $4,200 for a three hour job.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#220360 - 11/01/04 04:56 PM Re: Honest opinions...
MrEd Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Linn,
This group has been around for a long time, is booked solid and put on an incredible show. (www.thehubcaps.com/)....
Gary

Gary,
Just looking at their photos in action is exhausting. Looks (and sounds) like they really put on a good show and are probably worth every penny.

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
.... the last time I saw them, they had hired a you man to do their sound work, a person that cranked up the volume to the point where it was causing hearing damage....
Gary

Funny how it works like that. I thought the older we get, the more turned up things need to be.

#220361 - 11/02/04 12:57 AM Re: Honest opinions...
MrEd Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Linn Campbell:
I was thinking about putting together a group of four (two male two female) to do oldies but goodies type of music. I am thinking about the 50+ crowd as a target....
My questions are: Has this been done to death? Would there be any market for this stuff? Would there be enough money to pay four band members? What venues would be interested it this stuff? Any thoughts?

Linn,
For the long term, it sounds like a good idea.

I see more and more 50+ types (like myself) are getting out and enjoying live music. Especially in the summer time at town and city summer fests. Some towns around here have their summer fests going all summer long (like every Friday or Saturday).
You are in a good area. Your weather is nicer, warmer for longer periods than here in Chicago.

I think the 50+ crowd is at a time where they look to get out more and have some fun, meet up with old friends, etc. They are established, have been working for a few decades, now have adult kids that are out of the house and are finding a little more time for themselves.

There should be (and will be) room for a few more good acts/bands that are playing to the 50+ crowd.

Best Wishes

Ed

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online