SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#197174 - 10/15/04 07:26 AM The early days of Dj house sound systems
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I just cannot remember. When I was a young whippersnapper, it was live music or nothing. Well, maybe a jukebox. Bands played in the bars about every night except Sunday. And hey, it wasn't even legal to be open on Sundays.

I can't remember the first place where there was a "dj" in-house spinning tunes. And I can't remember how he did it. Did they spin vinyl? About that same time, 8-track was popular. Did they use those or did they have reel to reel? I guess it was vinyl.

All of these I see these days, I mean in fairly large nightclubs, they are using laptops.

Just curious how it all developed. To the demise of live music. Ugh.

I was watching this kick-ass country band last night and in breaks, they'd play the dj music and it struck me again how much I prefer live music. From a good band, of course. That's the key. So many people these days, if it doesn't sound like a record, you're SOL. Hey, the ARRANGER!

#197175 - 10/15/04 07:35 AM Re: The early days of Dj house sound systems
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I think musicians helped to screw themselves by not playing the hits that the dancers wanted. Look at the scenario:
(SOME) Bands were offering poor imitations of the songs, taking breaks ( and going in the parking lots with their chicks, and/or booze etc.. )
Couple that with increaced liablity insurance to the club owner, and DJs started to look attractive. Less room, less $$$ less hassle - we screwed ourselves, collectively speaking.

Personally - I never drink at work, and when I'm off stage, I'm with the crowd ( always on duty ) and I play a pre programed mix that I pick after each set to "pace" the room while I'm off.

If more bands acted like a part of the room, instead of Prima Donna's - there would be more live music. The drinking/driving laws were the largest catalyst to twart the entertainment business, and while I applaude the laws and the cause .... I feel the effects of the reduced "fun factor" in the clubs and parties.

I'd love to see more people go out and have fun in a more moderate way. I have NO tolerace for drunks or show offs, and the music and food should be PLENTY to celebrate on any given night.

I predict this thread to "explode" with comments anytime now ! It's a touchy issue for many.

#197176 - 10/15/04 07:51 AM Re: The early days of Dj house sound systems
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
I think musicians helped to screw themselves by not playing the hits that the dancers wanted.

I dunno Dave, I don't see how that had anything to do with it whatsoever.

I just hope kids can again come to appreciate live music. There is a club I have gigged at and it's kind of an "alt" type of place. A mix of rock, jazz, punk and blues primarily. I am working up an alt-country night for them. They don't want traditional country but the kids eat up "alt-country." My setlist is stuff like Steve Earle, Hank III, actually, it's all three Hanks, Johnny Cash, Merle, Willie. And my originals. They support originals.

But it's a college town. But they have no in-house system, just a jukebox. It'll hold maybe 180 people or so. But they like live music. I hope the trend increases. For music's sake.

#197177 - 10/15/04 08:12 AM Re: The early days of Dj house sound systems
Uncle Dave Offline

There are so many "bad" bands out there ... I'm sure it has something to do with it.
Another aspect is the electronic involvement that started with synths and midi.
Prior to the 80s, is was a snap to recreate the radio hits with 5 or 6 (sometimes less)players/singers. It was easy to play all the stuff that the original recording had - but once arpegiators and automation set in, it was harder for the cover bands to sound convincing. Picture an accordian, sax and drum trio playing Duran Duran.....it ain't pretty! But take that same trio and let 'em rip on the 40's 50s and 60s music ..... and it sounded pretty cool.

Disco was the start of the electronic drum craze ( remember "Ring my bell"? )and ever since then ...... it's been a clutter of digital and acoustic meshing.

I hope there will always be a population that enjoys watching a performer do his/her thing, but I fear that the more automation we use .... the further we get from the performance. This is definetely a self inflicted wound to our craft.

How much it affects us ..... well, that's up to the individual. I plan to sing till I fall over dead. I just hope someone is there to listen.

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 10-15-2004).]

#197178 - 10/15/04 08:19 AM Re: The early days of Dj house sound systems
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Prior to the 80s, is was a snap to recreate the radio hits with 5 or 6 (sometimes less)players/singers. It was easy to play all the stuff that the original recording had - but once arpegiators and automation set in, it was harder for the cover bands to sound convincing.

That makes sense.

I love a rich production. Listen to Leon Russell. Now, that would be a chore to reproduce, he uses so many musicians. But I also enjoy a very raw sound. It's like music has air in it. It can breathe. Three or four piece bands. Or even five if they let it breathe.

This great country band last night, it was lead singer playing acoustic, lead guitar, bass, drums and steel guitar. The steel was buried in the mix, which was a shame but anyway, point being, even without hearing him, it was great music. Of course, they are good. A touring act, newcomer, Jamie Andrews. A great country voice.

And I swear, it burns my butt up when in these country bars, they play rap music at breaks. Godomighty, Hank Williams would have a heart attack. I realize a lot of people like it, obviously but damn, it's a friggin country bar.

#197179 - 10/15/04 08:31 AM Re: The early days of Dj house sound systems
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
Hank Williams would have a heart attack.

I think old Hank is rollin' in his grave because of what Jr. is playin!(I'm not a fan)

#197180 - 10/15/04 08:53 AM Re: The early days of Dj house sound systems
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
I think old Hank is rollin' in his grave because of what Jr. is playin!(I'm not a fan)

Then you would absolutely die if you'd hear Hank III. If you think Jr. is a hell-raiser, you ain't seen nothin. Actually, believe it or not, the III is awesome in his country stuff. He sounds like his Grandpa, except maybe even better. His punk stuff, I don't care for at all. But his alt-country is as good as it gets.

I've never been a big fan of Jr. His "Ain't Misbehavin" cover is great though. He has a few I like. But his son's better.

I can't imagine why anyone would prefer a dj over a live act like Hank III playing country. Man, he's got some PLAYERS.

#197181 - 10/15/04 09:26 AM Re: The early days of Dj house sound systems
Smurf Offline

Loc: Ohio
I agree that we, as musicians, sometimes abused our "power" when we are wanted every week at certian clubs. The last Country band I was in (as drummer) really burnt my butt! We had a good, loyal following of around 50 people who would come and see us where ever we played! We brought a good, dancing, money spending crowd with us, but thats where the fun ended. These people were good musicians, but they tried ever trick in the book to make the breaks last as long as possible. It drove me, and most of our following, NUT'S! Me and the guitarist walked after one gig, we could not handle it any more. I mean, come on, 25min "breaks" per hour? Get real!
The last band I was in was an original rock band that worked hard, released a CD, got to open for some "Big Names" like The Fix, Gatlin, and a few others. Our sets were tight, paced well, and very polished. Why I left.....drugs and drinking. They got too comfortable and started sliding into that "star" game after 2 years.
DJ's might be taking our jobs, but we deserve it (all of you hard working pros, bands and solo, this does not mean you!) As a musician I have seen far to many abuse the privilege of playing before an audience. You get paid to play, do your job! That's why theres a arranger in my future, and my 2 guitar playing freinds are comming along for the ride.
Well, thats it...rant mode OFF! Smurf

#197182 - 10/15/04 09:32 AM Re: The early days of Dj house sound systems
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
It's called professionalism, and the wide-spread lack of it in local bands (mostly week-enders) is why I keep a full calendar.
I played with some top-notch bands years ago. There were ALWAYS probems. The drummer was drunk, the guitar player was fooling with the bass man's wife. The singer got pregnant. Somebody got drafted (remember the draft?)
One guy wanted more money because more of the gear was his. Another guy didn't want to help set up. Etc. etc. etc. (The King and I).
DonM

#197183 - 10/15/04 01:35 PM Re: The early days of Dj house sound systems
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Looks like a lot of us have had the same experience with bands...drinking, drugs, prima donnas...people not showing up, not wanting to rehearse, arguing about the playlist, etc. It got so bad with the replacement keyboard players I hired after my long-time partner died, I almost gave up.

Those hassles, plus a decline in budgets when this area changed from three or four nightclubs to local bars and restaurants are why I began doing a single. Sadly, sometimes musicians are their own worst enemies. And, yes, this problem is more prevalent with "week-end" warriors.

I really miss playing with a band. I work with a couple of jazz trios and enjoy the hell out of that. And, whenever possible, I hire a guitarist, singer percussionist or horn player. But I control the action. If someone dosen't show, gets pissed off, etc. I can finish the job and I'll never call them again.

Sad, but true.

russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online