SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#122115 - 10/10/04 05:34 AM Karaoke in performance
juneau Offline

Loc: Red Wing, MN, USA
I noted with interest Exound's message regarding karaoke.

I know karaoke is a swear word for a lot of folks, but I have found it to be a clear winner for me when performing.

The band I'm in (just a guitar player and me) don't perform in public often and don't charge much (many times just for the fun of it). But when I found out how easy it was to include Karaoke, we started offering it after we had gone through our songs

People usually eat it up. I had done this a bit with my old PSR2000, but the Tyros makes it much easier since you can hook a TV off the back (and thus away from the keyboard). The hard disk I have in the Tyros easily stores the thousand+ songs (found in the net) and I created a couple indexes for people to look through (by artist and by song title).

Do any of you offer this in your performances?

#122116 - 10/10/04 06:46 AM Re: Karaoke in performance
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I try to keep the patrons as far away from my gear as possible. Even so, they are constantly leaning over my shoulder to "look for the words" on my laptop screen ( which AREN'T there ).
The concepts of live entertainment and karaoke are mutualy cancelling IMO. To pay a seasoned performer to entertain a room and then give control over to amatuers ( enhanced by booze and microphines! )makes NO sense to me.

I applaude those of you that can babysit the "K" crowd and not go nuts, but the way I see it - the less people know about the automation and programming of our craft, the better is is for future work. It's hard enough to convice some of the younger set that we actually play these kbs, so the more you rely on the crowd for entertainmet...the LESS they need you at all.

I say, leave the "K" shows to the amatures, and only invite singers that you KNOW to sit in with you in a live setting.
A good starting point to tell if they "know their stuff" is to ask:
What key, and what tempo they like. If they can't tell you their key - chances are, they are NOT a real singer. If they ask for the words ..... the conversation is over before it starts.

I know this sounds harsh to some of the fun loving folks that just adore watching grownups make total fools of themselves, but after you spend a few decades in show biz, you get to know a few tricks about people and behavior when booze is factored into the equation.

My rule of thumb is - no guests unless I can feel comfortable that they KNOW the words, KNOW the melody, and KNOW how to stay in key. I won't share the stage with just any old patron that's having a fun night on the town.

Sheese.....Philly is boring when the EAGLES have a bye!!!! Bring on those Panthers ..... we got some "gettin' even to do"!!!!!!!!

#122117 - 10/10/04 07:35 AM Re: Karaoke in performance
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Yeah! What Dave said!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#122118 - 10/10/04 08:02 AM Re: Karaoke in performance
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Yeah, I ruined (for me, anyway) a gig recently. Some old man I befriened, I made the mistake of letting him up to sing a song. I couldn't get rid of him and he sucked so bad, it was pitiful. Of course, he was polluted.

#122119 - 10/10/04 08:51 AM Re: Karaoke in performance
Luis.Santos Offline

Loc: Portugal
I agree with you!

Karaoke can ruin our work.
Some time ago I also was thinking about maybe including a bit of Karaoke, and I'm glad I forgot about it before I even started it.

I did a wedding once and the father of the bride came to me asking if he could sing a song. I said yes and the man (I noticed later he was a bit drunk) wouldn't stop singing and talking and I couldn't mute the mic/get rid of him because he was the father of the bride!
Nowadays, I never do that unless it's a very special request, probably in a wedding, only as an example.

As Uncledave said, I also try to keep anybody away from my gear. If they are trying to read the lyrics or are very close to me, as soon as I finish the song I'm playing I invite the person(s) not to disturb my work and that always work. But all, of course, on a professional way. This can probably be a bit difficult for entertainers to do when they're still beginnig, but my advice is to do this or anyone could get the "gig" or "party" spoiled because of some "old man".

Luis Santos

#122120 - 10/10/04 09:13 AM Re: Karaoke in performance
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Right on Uncle Dave.

Karaoke has its place...but not at the places I play.

Except for a few of the wedding rigs and "K Bars" which have their payrolled staff double as DJs, the local K guys are killing each other by cutting rates to the point it is a hobby that COSTS them money.

Eddie

#122121 - 10/11/04 06:43 AM Re: Karaoke in performance
juneau Offline

Loc: Red Wing, MN, USA
Your points are well taken, believe me! I have learned what it's like allowing a bunch of drunks that can't sing take over.

I will, however, selectively still offer it. Kids especially like it. Remember, I'm the one who has chosen to put up with people's antics. We maybe play 6-8 times a year and our venues are for family groups and friends that are willing to put up with us!

#122122 - 10/11/04 06:55 AM Re: Karaoke in performance
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by juneau:
We maybe play 6-8 times a year and our venues are for family groups and friends that are willing to put up with us!

In your limited playing situation it may be tolerable which is fine...or when its touted as a KARAOKE Night......
but, when your gigging 300+ DAYS A YEAR you can see Dave's, Mine, & others view points on the "K" topic, and it's intrusion in our business as "on Stage" Live performers.

#122123 - 10/11/04 07:53 AM Re: Karaoke in performance
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Dave and others are absolutely right...no Kareoke when I'm on the bandstand, and only very carefully, preplanned participation by singers and other musicians.

I am sort of in the DJ business. My youngest son and I recently refurbished a 1956 22' Airstream trailor for use as a mobile DJ operation for car shows. There are at least 4 each week-end within a 50 mile radius during the summer.

We restore old cars, and show them at these events. The DJ plays music during the show and then announces contests, winners, the start of events, etc. My son handles all that. The events usually pay $500.00 a day (8 hours). I was able to use a lot of the old (way too heavy) sound equipment gathering dust.

I'm really not involved at the shows...it's just a project for Ben and I to work on together.

Hope that dosen't make me a sell-out. the income is GREAT!

Russ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online