SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#128061 - 09/17/04 06:08 AM Need Advice - EM2000 Problem
TheBish Offline

Loc: Huntington, IN, USA
Would appreciate any advice on a problem with my EM2000. I have not took it anywhere to have it repaired because it does not do this all the time, and I hate to spend money for a bench fee if it does not act up at the repair shop. It has just been sitting around for the last nine months (I replaced it with a PSR2100).
Here's what I experienced on some nursing home gigs (no external speakers). While playing on a gig the light on the screen started flickering, the speakers started popping and cracking, getting to the point where I just had to turn it off and finish the performance on the piano at the facility. I brought the keyboard home, tried it, no problem. Took it to another gig, it worked fine. Took it once again to a couple of back to back gigs. On the first one, not only did I start getting the popping and cracking, but as I was singing "Crazy" to a midifile, the midifile started speeding up, faster, and faster. I just had to stop right in the middle of the song. Took the keyboard across the street to my second gig, speakers popped and cracked so bad I had to turn it off again. Here's what gets me... I brought the keyboard home, it has been plugged in since last December, not moved, and the speakers have not acted up once. I have, however, experienced midi files speeding up faster and faster on a couple of occasions.
Would appreciate any thoughts from anyone....Thanks, Gary

[This message has been edited by TheBish (edited 09-17-2004).]

#128062 - 09/17/04 06:25 AM Re: Need Advice - EM2000 Problem
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Sounds like a power supply problem to me. That would pretty much explain everything that has occured.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#128063 - 09/17/04 06:48 AM Re: Need Advice - EM2000 Problem
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Years ago I had a Roland that got finicky when exposed to temperature changes. Could that be a factor with your EM2000?
Eddie

#128064 - 09/17/04 06:54 AM Re: Need Advice - EM2000 Problem
Dnj Offline

email Fran Carango
[Roland Expert Extrodinaire]

francarango@nni.com

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-17-2004).]

#128065 - 09/17/04 06:57 AM Re: Need Advice - EM2000 Problem
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Could be cold solder joints on the potentiometer that controls the tempo and on the inputs to the amplifier stage of your keyboard. We're seeing this on Yamahas too - poor quality control in the manufacturing. If you are good at taking apart keyboards and doing a little electronic handiwork, I would take the EM-2000 apart and check every solder joint related to the sound and the tempo, redoing them wherever possible.

#128066 - 09/18/04 07:28 PM Re: Need Advice - EM2000 Problem
TheBish Offline

Loc: Huntington, IN, USA
Thanks for the input guys...Think I will take it apart as soon as I get the time and re solder some of the connections. Can't hurt..Gary

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online