SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#141855 - 09/07/04 11:05 AM Rigging a stand for a laptop
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Using lead sheets when gigging, I'd rather not do this. I'd rather use a laptop. Anyone got any ideas on how I could rig up anything to use in front of a mic stand when playing guitar only? I've got to make myself a teleprompter thingie somehow.

If I were using a keyboard stand, that's obvious but I am gigging now playing just guitar. I was thinking of a sturdy music stand with a wide lip or maybe get something welded so the laptop is secure. It would have to be pretty heavy duty and so I could extend it pretty high. I am 6' 2".

Also, I need a way to advance (or ever better, scroll) the page via footswitch. If anyone knows anything on that, thanks.

One more thing... as far as you guys who use them for keys, if you have found a particular stand to be superior, I'd like to know about it for keys.

#141856 - 09/07/04 01:25 PM Re: Rigging a stand for a laptop
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I use a Manhasset stand laid flat with a clamp to keep it from sliding down. Works well for me.

Bernie

#141857 - 09/07/04 01:45 PM Re: Rigging a stand for a laptop
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
The QuikLok MS331 music stand is height and angle adjustable ($40). It's easy to transport, use, adjust and lock into place.

http://www.quiklok.com

As far as scrolling, that's a little trickier. If you can't fit all the lyrics on one screen, try using an optical mouse (or trackball) with a scroll wheel (or disk).

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 09-07-2004).]

#141858 - 09/08/04 09:11 PM Re: Rigging a stand for a laptop
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I just ordered a music stand also, then today I saw a $9,97 black padded black tubing folding stool at Wal-Mart that looked like it would work great and may be a bit easier to fold and haul around than a 2 or 3 piece music stand. I'm gonna go check it out after I receive the stand.

Wal-mart also has a great little folding hand truck for about $39 that looks exactly like a $100 one I saw somewher on the internet. It folds compact and is very light.I've been using it for several months now with no trouble.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online