SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#221070 - 03/12/04 10:38 PM Transpose may not be a good thing
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
Hi Folks,
You ever come up with a song that sounds good. But when you put vocals to it, it does not fit... Then you transpose lets say from 0 to 3 and when doing so the mix you loved sounds tiny and bad... Just wanted to get some feed back on this... I have a tune that I like but when trans to my vocal it looses it luster..
Thanks,
DJ

#221071 - 03/12/04 11:11 PM Re: Transpose may not be a good thing
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
I've found that most times a sequence/midi will usually sound best in the key it was recorded/sequenced in. That's not always the case but as a rule of thumb I would say most of the time.

Instruments have a limit or range on the Keyboard where if they go beyond their range they lose their 'luster' so to speak. Too high and some voices will start to sound thin and not give a true representation of the instrument. Too low and some instruments literally bog down sound wise and lose accuracy and definition in their reproduction and can sound "muddy" or lackluster.

Usually a song/sequence is recorded while the person doing the Mixing/Recording produces it to sound the best, ie., best Key/Time Signature, right tempo, best instruments, best overall sound.

So when you transpose that song[s], whether up or down, your departing from that blueprint and the different instruments will be affected accordingly. Sometimes just slightly, sometimes not even noticable at all, but sometimes very noticable.

Sounds like you have a "very noticable" one.

Best regards,
Mike

#221072 - 03/13/04 09:03 AM Re: Transpose may not be a good thing
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
beachbum . I've often found this... sometimes it helps to go in to the sequence and lower the octave on certain instruments ...
t.

#221073 - 03/13/04 09:09 AM Re: Transpose may not be a good thing
Vadim Offline

I had to deal with it to, the transposer doesn`t effect other tracks much, but the Bass track... it masses it up. So before making a song I find a right key with singers then I can start recording a song, but sometimes the key is in the flats or sharps and its not easy to record, in that case -1 0r +1 wouldn`t be a problem.

[This message has been edited by Vadim (edited 03-13-2004).]

#221074 - 03/13/04 01:53 PM Re: Transpose may not be a good thing
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
Thanks guys...
I'm not sure what I'll do with the song at this point...
DJ

#221075 - 03/13/04 04:02 PM Re: Transpose may not be a good thing
R-F Offline

Loc: Berlin/ Germany
Hi,
I would transpose only to match with a saxophone or a trumpet player, using sheets for "C" instruments. Yamaha will transpose the keyboard keys, not the tone generator.

------------------
Regards
RF

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online