SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#187130 - 02/25/04 08:59 PM Can ya hear me now???
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
I'm hoping, fingers crossed, that your able to download this version of "In My Room"

Download time approx:2 min
Please let me know if everything works okay. Thanx....L
http://members.shaw.ca/shboom/MP3Samples/InRoom.mp3

#187131 - 02/25/04 09:30 PM Re: Can ya hear me now???
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Leon, Cool rendition of this Beach Boys classic. I assume you utilized a combination of multi-tracking and vocal harmonizer, along with you playng the cool sounding electric guitar w/ efx, right? What brand/model guitar, vocalizer, and what vocal harmony settings (Beachboys preset?) you used? Did you record the vocals (including harmony_ in one pass, or was there vocal overdubbing involved? Intersted to hear what equipment you used in the recording process. Leon, thanks for sharing your interesting rendition of this classic tune. - Scott

#187132 - 02/25/04 09:31 PM Re: Can ya hear me now???
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Sounds good Leon. I always loved the Beach Boys. Like Four Freshman on steroids !

#187133 - 02/25/04 09:50 PM Re: Can ya hear me now???
Leon Offline

Thank you Scott. Thank you Dave.
Compared to what the majority of you out there are using, you're probably gonna laff.
Percussion was done on my T3, used an R8 for a slow rising sizzle cymbal in the bridge, somewhat faint. Guitar, Danelectro 12. Bass on T3. Recorded to Korg D8.All guitar effects on board. Drums mixed from 4 tracks (on T3) to 7/8 on D8. Vocals were all individually overdubbed. No harmonizer.
Added slight chorus and delay to vocals. Guitar delay matched to half of the T3 tempo (80 if I recall correctly). Final mixdown all done internally thru D8 to Pioneer burner. CDA ripped to mp3 on my computer.
I hope to (soon) have a site up and running, along with some pics. It's gonna have to be put on hold though as I'm going in for surgery Mar.11th.
Thanx again for the feedback. I'm finally letting you folks hear what I can do after listening to all your incredible work. Let me know if you'd like to hear an original, and I'll load it up.

[This message has been edited by Leon (edited 02-25-2004).]

#187134 - 02/25/04 11:17 PM Re: Can ya hear me now???
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Had a listen to "In My Room" Leon. It came out very well! The Harmony is done in a very professional way. Congrats!!

You have a very good voice too Leon. Hope to hear more songs from you real soon..

One thing I noticed was a little distortion in the recording. Like a little buzz or something. But your voice and the music came through very clearly and clean sounding.

Best regards,
Mike

#187135 - 02/26/04 08:28 AM Re: Can ya hear me now???
Leon Offline

Thanx Mike. Glad you enjoyed it.The distortion (couldn't hear it myself) may have been from the winamp pre-amp setting being too high. Thanx again for the revue.
....L

#187136 - 02/26/04 08:39 AM Re: Can ya hear me now???
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Leon,
I didn't know this song, but I liked it very much and now I am curious to find the original version by the Beach Boys, to compare with yours... I am amazed that you did record this one with just your voice, your guitar, and a little percussion from your Korg T3. There is definitely something to learn here for all of us...

#187137 - 02/26/04 09:37 AM Re: Can ya hear me now???
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Part of the reason that we all like this simple song is the genious behind Brian Wilson's arrangement of those very basic chords that every kid learned as a beginner. It's tought to screw up a great song. You really have to suck.
Like that "O Holy Night" guy we laffed at during the holidays !
That was too much. WAY too much.

#187138 - 02/26/04 09:42 AM Re: Can ya hear me now???
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Yes, the Beach Boy harmonies is classic Wilson genius for sure, but the other killer is the 'lyrics'. Every kid can RELATE to them, no matter what generation you grew up in. - Scott

#187139 - 02/26/04 11:29 AM Re: Can ya hear me now???
Leon Offline

Thank you Andrea. I'm glad you liked it. The best part was putting in the bottom end vocal. I've found a little trick that works for me at least.
If I'm putting something together, laying down tracks and need a deep bottom end, I'll record it the morning after a hard driving gig. Throat's a tiny bit raw, but perfect for hitting those notes in the basement.
Try it, you might be surprised.

Thank you again all. When my site is up and running properly, I hope to have some more samples on board, both covers & originals.
...L

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online