SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#117445 - 02/24/04 09:59 AM Tips...how to handle them..
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I was wondering how those of you who play out handle tips. Specifically, do you use a tip jar or other container?

I never have, and when I was playing a B-3 and a Rhodes, there was plenty of room to lay a tip on the surface of an instrument.

Now, with an arranger, there is no surface room, and I just don't feel comfortable with a tip jar.

I just think a tip jar in an upscale restaurant isn't appropriate for me.

How do you do it?

Russ

#117446 - 02/24/04 10:14 AM Re: Tips...how to handle them..
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Russ, if the upscale resturant pays upscale rates...skip the tip jar...Some places[piano bars etc] expect to see tip jars..in this case put out a big fish bowl, and don't forget to bait it with a few bucks..

#117447 - 02/24/04 10:32 AM Re: Tips...how to handle them..
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I felt the exact same way about tips until recently. People had been just dropping money onto my keyboard as I played, and it was getting a little ridiculous (hard to call it "rude" but I didn't like it while I was in the middle of a song). So I found a nice $3 glass carafe at WalMart and put it on the floor near my keyboard. It's surprising how much goes in it nightly.

Your patrons are trying to express their gratitude for making their evening enjoyable. This is the traditional way to do that, and who are we to argue tradition? They will do it with or without a "tip jar", so go pick out a nice one.

#117448 - 02/24/04 10:55 AM Re: Tips...how to handle them..
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Tips are not a factor on 90% or more of my jobs which put me on stages out of reach of the audiences. And I never put out a tip jar as I don't feel it is appropriate at the places I play.

However...I do have a casual lounge job where I am positioned at dance floor level. When I first started doing this job, I played while standing and no tips. Then, because of a back problem, I began sitting and people started depositing tips on my powered amp which sits to my right at keyboard level as I play.

Hard to believe, but the only thing I can pin down about all of this is the fact that I am sitting...even though it is an elevated stool. Just something about the casual nature of the job, I think.
Eddie

#117449 - 02/24/04 10:58 AM Re: Tips...how to handle them..
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Jim, I use to think it was kind of rude to throw money onto my keyboard, after all ,my board is my pride and joy...untill a couple years ago and again recently, patrons thru a hundred dollar bill on my G1000..I am amazed how nice my G1000 looked decorated with a hundred dollar bill..

#117450 - 02/24/04 11:52 AM Re: Tips...how to handle them..
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I just bought a clamp-on cup holder and attached it to the back end of the mic boom. It faces the audience and hold a cup very securly, in plain view of the people.
I've said before that the more electronic I seem to be, the less tips I make. This is still true. There's nothing like a big brown, wooden box to attract tips. The plastic gear just doesn't seem to evoke the same emotion in the crowds.
Nevertheless ...... now they has a stash that they can contribute to !

#117451 - 02/24/04 04:34 PM Re: Tips...how to handle them..
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The one I used in Baltimore was a large goblett, which filled up nightly--nice touch, looked classy and on one occasion there was more money in the jar than I was paid by the club's owner.

I never played piano, so I don't know about tips for piano players, but when I played the guitar, tips were rare. With the keyboard, the jar fills to capacity.

Keep in mind that there is only one thing money cannot buy--poverty. You can rent all the other things!

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#117452 - 02/24/04 10:14 PM Re: Tips...how to handle them..
S0C9 Offline

Loc: NRH, TX, USA
My band generally has a tip jar out front, conspicuosly placed, and is often full after the nights session. Often it's NOT !!

However, for most functions, public or private we check first with the patron regardless. No assumptions made.

Upscale is usually more generous than the local bar, but hey... if it's not there, customers often do not know what to do with that couple of bucks.....and will often walk up mid song which is distracting to most of the band... especially if the crowd has been drinking... we want to make sure they don't fall over monitors, spill drinks, trip over cables or mics stands... LOL !!

Bottom line.. clear it with the manangement first !!

Steve

#117453 - 02/24/04 10:31 PM Re: Tips...how to handle them..
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Tip jars! I always make sure I get paid (what I'm worth) by whoever hires me. I ONLY use a tip jar for venues that can only afford to pay me what I think I'm minimumly worth (bars, restaurants, & charity benifit gigs). I prefer not to go the tip jar routine (if possible) anymore because it makes me feel like I'm some kind of performing circus monkey, even though I admit, the tips can be a BIG welcome bonus - Scott

#117454 - 02/25/04 05:34 AM Re: Tips...how to handle them..
Dnj Offline

Scott.....got to agree with you on this totally....good post!

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online