SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#190975 - 02/16/04 10:20 AM OT: My neighbors home burned down yesterday. WARNING!
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Attention All Forum Members.
This is not a music post but it applies to each and everyone of us as a warning.
My friend and neighbor's house was totally consumed by fire yesterday afternoon and there was one fatality.
We had a grief and counseling meeting in our clubhouse last evening conducted by two captains in the fire deptartment.
They told us the usual about smoke alarms. You need to have several in your house with batteries no older then 6 months and check them monthly to be sure they work by pressing the button.
2. You should also have a carbon monoxide warning unit in your home as that stuff can kill you really quick and the symptoms are the same as flu symptoms so many people just go to bed sick and die.
3. This is something I did not know. Rats and mice can burn your house down. They get in your house and like to chew the insulation off the electric wires and cause a short and a fire. Some of the old houses have pennies behind the old style fuses. Sometimes breakers don't work. So.......if you have a rodent problem get the exterminator in there. They can get rid of them in one to two days with their Maze type traps and baits and are safe around your animals too.
Everything else is common sense.
A final warning if you live in an older style mobile home. They are consumed in 4 to 8 minutes. You should have an alarm in every room and they even suggest sprinklers be installed.
Our newer prefab homes are pretty much fire proof from the outside but are vunerable from the inside. They don't burn as fast as a house due to dry wall inside and fire proof siding outside.
I expect there will be experts that can add to this post, so I suggest you all pay close attention and follow up. We don't want to loose you like I just lost my favorite neighbor lady.
Bebop

#190976 - 02/16/04 10:34 AM Re: OT: My neighbors home burned down yesterday. WARNING!
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
What a heart-rending report.
You did right to post a warning to us all in spite of your grief.
I would repeat your warning to everyone because in U.K. we have many instances of such tragedy, especially where the neighbourhood is unfortunately populated by our poorer brethren.
Come on all of you. Make sure your alarms are in place and WORKING.Test them each week, as I do.Fit them with good quality batteries (in UK such as Duracell)and close all doors before retiring.
Remember , it's the smoke which kills you not the fire.
Thanks for your notice and report
Cheers
Eddie

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online