SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#109974 - 01/23/04 04:48 PM Playing 'live' on Tyros/PSR KB with Midi Files which include Vocalizer Chord Data !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Yamaha Tyros, PSR2000 & PSR2100 Owners!

Please help !:

I've created some midi songs using my Tyros keyboard's onboard sequencer.These songs also include auto accompaniment chords recognized during recording, of which are then stored as part of the midi file as Yamaha Exclusive 'XF' chord data. As a result, when the midi sequence is played back, the chord changes are both displayed in the Tyros' Main Screen's 'Chord Window', as well as sent to the Tyros vocal harmonizer to trigger correct backup harmonies. In addition, the vocal harmonizer on/off status is also stored in the midi file. The advantage of having both 'chord change' & 'vocalizer on/off status' data incorporated into the midi song is that it allows you to play back the midi file on the Yamaha sequencer and simulataneously sing along to the song, automatically triggering the correct vocal harmonies, as well as having the vocalizer turn on/off at appropriate spot(s) in the song.

Ok, so far so good, but in addition to the above, I want to also be able to play the keyboard live (Panel Voices: Left, RT1, RT2, RT3) while the midi song plays and sends XF chord change data to the Tyros harmonizer to trigger vocal backup harmonies.

My PROBLEM:

When I play a Tyros midi sequence which contains XF chord data, and then simultaneously play the Tyros panel voices (Left, RT1, RT2, RT3), the Tyros recognizes the chords I play live instead of the chords stored in the midi sequence. This happens regardless of whether the ACMP (auto accomp) button is on/off. Apparently, chords played live supercede the XF chord changes in the midi file.

Is there any way to get the keyboard to 'ignore' the chords I'm playing live and instead, 'only' recognize the chord changes stored in the midi file? If so, exactly what do I need to do to accomplish this?

Btw: I experience the exact SAME problem on both the PSR2000/2100 as well as the Tyros, so input from PSR2000/2100 owners, as well as Tyros owners would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

#109975 - 01/23/04 05:12 PM Re: Playing 'live' on Tyros/PSR KB with Midi Files which include Vocalizer Chord Data !
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Hi Scott,
I think I might have a possible solution for your quandry. There may be an easier way that I do not know of but one way that I think will work is this:

Depending on which midi channel your "actual" keys are sending on, I think you can designate just a single channel and also turn the midi off on that channel. This may interrupt it sending data to the harmonizer etc and only play the notes locally?

Am I explaining my idea correctly enough to understand? I am not sure...

Then again, at least maybe this will trigger a memory of yours and lead you to a possible solution.

In either case I wish you luck with the problem.

Also want to add that I wish I could have your problem, along with your tyros...lol...
But someday I will have my own.
OldNewb

#109976 - 01/23/04 05:40 PM Re: Playing 'live' on Tyros/PSR KB with Midi Files which include Vocalizer Chord Data !
Scottyee Offline

Hi OldNewb,

Thanks for your suggestion,though I must admit customizing midi setups has always been at least a challenge for me, and that configuring my KB to your suggestion may be difficult for me unless I get step by step instructions.

In the meantime, thanks to the suggestion given to me by Joe Waters, I've found another solution to the problem. When playing in 'split' mode, you can keep the panel voices (Left, Rt1,Rt2) played 'live' from triggering auto accompaniment, by setting the 'style' (accomp) split point to C1, and the left voice split point to F#2. This is set in the Tyros' 'Style Setting/Split Point Window'. If the left voice is assigned to piano, and right voice is set to trumpet, then the piano will sound from C1 to F#2, and the trumpet will sound from G2 thru C6, and the auto accompaniment will not be triggered. The interesting thing though, is that the ACMP light must be set to "ON" ! Joe, thanks for the help. You saved my life.

In the meantime, if anyone can possibly give me detailed Tyros step by step instructions to achieve the 'same thing' via midi, I'm game to tackle that method as well.

Scott

#109977 - 01/23/04 07:39 PM Re: Playing 'live' on Tyros/PSR KB with Midi Files which include Vocalizer Chord Data !
trtjazz Offline

Scott
Doing custom midi setups is fairly easy really

function>midi>all parts>edit>transmit or receive (depending upon which you want to do)>you can then scroll down the list and change any channel that you want or turn it off completely. So you would need to know which channels your midi song is sending on and then assign your R1,2,3 to other channels and save the set up as Scott's midi or whatever, that way you can call it up easily.

If you get stuck, repost and I will record a midi cut on the Tyros and dig deeper into exactly what you must do and which channels need changing.

The thing that confuses me is that one can load a midi file into the Tyros and play on top of it without it changing the accmp. so I'm not sure why your recorded ones don't work the same.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#109978 - 01/24/04 12:08 PM Re: Playing 'live' on Tyros/PSR KB with Midi Files which include Vocalizer Chord Data !
Scottyee Offline

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your interest & response. I guess I've got to admit my comprehension of midi setup/configuration continues to leave me in 'the fog', and as if we don't already have enough of 'that' here in the SF Bay Area, right?

Here's what I want to be able to do on the Tyros and/or PSR2000/2100 keyboards:

I would like to be able to mute the notes on midi channel 1 (melody track) and then have it's voice (instrument assignment) 'automatically' routed to the Tyros RT1 voice to play 'live' instead, while the remaining tracks of the midi sequence playback. Is this possible?

In addition, I'd like any & all instrument voice 'program changes' which occur in the song's melody track (midi channel 1) to also automatically change the RT1 voice to the new instrument voice (program change), and at the 'correct place(s)' during the song as well. Is this possible?

If so, exactly how must I configure the parameters on each of the Tyros' Midi Pages (Tabs: system, transmit, receive, etc). Providing step by step instructions would be most helpful. Many thanks in advance to Terry (or anyone else) who can help me with this. - Scott

#109979 - 01/24/04 06:08 PM Re: Playing 'live' on Tyros/PSR KB with Midi Files which include Vocalizer Chord Data !
trtjazz Offline

Scott,
If I am getting it right, I do not see any way that you can mute but also plat a voice on R1 channel 1. If you mute the motes already recorded, then they will be muted period.

Essentially wyou want to have the channel do 2 things at once, i.e. send the notes but don't play the notes.

My thoughts would be to record your cut, mute channel 1 by volume and play over the top with R2 or another channel.

For midi message it's either note on or off not on but not playing. You might possibly in Sonar or the like do a zero velocity for that channel but leave the note itself there and that might work, but I'd have to try that and see if it would work or not.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 01-24-2004).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online