SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#169684 - 12/29/03 03:52 AM O.T. Internet Service Provs
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Just a quick note to apologise for not yet listening to and praising all these new MP3's of yours my friends, particularly since you were so kind to listen to mine recently.
The problem is my I.S.P. which is giving great trouble lately. They disconnect me after a few minutes most of the time and that is bad , especially when I am downloading something I want or need, like your super songs.
Yesterday I managed to download 19Mb of a 22Mb software trial from NERO but it then disconnected and I could not get back the data I had d/led.
Anybody have similar troubles with their I.S.P (in UK I mean)
cheers
Eddie J

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#169685 - 12/29/03 05:46 AM Re: O.T. Internet Service Provs
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hi Eddie,
You might want to check that you don't have 'auto disconnect' enabled. If you do then it means that after a certain amont of time (I think the default is 20 min) your internet connection will cut itself off. I think (am not on dial up so I'm trying to remember).. that if you right click on your dial up networking icon and click properties you will find the setting. If the box is checked then uncheck it click apply and it won't disconnect anymore.

Of course it may not be that at all and may just be your ISP doing what ISP's seem to do best Messing up! I am with plus net here in the UK and have to say that they are exceptional. Having been online for about seven years I have had a few ISP's and these guys have got to be the best. If you are thinking of changing providers you could do a lot worse. I took up the 1 mbt adsl package. That way I know what the cost is every month, it don't tie up the phoneline and it is really fast. Also it means my connection is always on. I think that my pc has been online since Christmas eve (although I did restart it last night after updating my graphics card drivers).

You might also like to try a download manager if you are on dial up. Flash get is very good. http://www.amazesoft.com/download.htm
That way you can set off your download and if you get cut off or want to shut off your pc it will resume the download at a later date from where you left off. Hence after you got cut off you would have been able to start the Nero d/l again with only 3mb left to get.
Hope some of this helps
Best to you Eddie
Tony

------------------
www.tonywmusic.co.uk

#169686 - 12/29/03 07:49 AM Re: O.T. Internet Service Provs
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Eddie

You didn't mention which OS you have or which ISP you have. If you have Windows XP Go into the Control Panel and click "Network Connections" then as Tony said right click your ISP icon that's giving you trouble and select Properties. Go to the 'Options' Tab and under 'Redialing Options' make sure that 'Idle time before hanging up' is set to never. If you have Windows 98/SE double click the 'My Computer' Icon on your screen and then click on 'Dial-up Networking'. On the General Tab under 'Connect using:' click Configure and then on the 'Connection Tab' under "Call Preferences" make sure the 'Disconnect a call if idle for more than' box is Un-checked.

Also if you have AOHELL, excuse me; AOL (which I don't) AOL has a time limiting feature in it's settings that you will need to make sure is configured properly too.

Best regards,
Mike

PS: As TonyW suggests, you may want to consider an ISP alternative if you continue to have problems with your current one. Just make sure you steer clear of AOL is my advice. If you have it now, that is all the more reason to consider an alternative.

Best regards,
Mike

#169687 - 12/30/03 02:01 AM Re: O.T. Internet Service Provs

Thanks Tony and Mike for your helping thoughts.
I have 98SE and Ntlworld.
Actually I sent a complaint to NTL by email and the techies rang me within 24 hours, so I am pleased with that at least!
He spent some time advising various actions including MSCONFIG and deleting some unwanted software. Seems a little better this morning but I am not holding my breath!
Tony's advice to get a Download Manager was also the advice from NTL, which I now have!

Thanks again
Eddie J

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#169688 - 12/30/03 02:57 AM Re: O.T. Internet Service Provs

Hi Tony,
"I took up the 1MbADSL package"

This may be of interest to me as I am looking to upgrade to a faster service.
I would appreciate some more info (but perhaps better not to bore the others with our deliberations, so I will go to the plusnet website).
cheers
Eddie J

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

[This message has been edited by eddiefromrotherham (edited 12-30-2003).]

[This message has been edited by eddiefromrotherham (edited 12-30-2003).]

#169689 - 12/30/03 07:00 AM Re: O.T. Internet Service Provs
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Eddie,
You have mail