SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#105978 - 12/14/03 06:21 AM Psr 2100 Disk drive fault
dazart Offline

Loc: England
Hi,
I've had the psr2100 a month now and not had any problems until now when I try to play a disk of any kind the screen comes up with disk error.It will not read any disk at all.It was working ok before but not now even trying the same disks.
Can anybody shead any light on this problem?

Regards Daz.

#105979 - 12/14/03 07:31 AM Re: Psr 2100 Disk drive fault
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
My guess is that you need to clean the heads on the PSR 2100's floppy disk drive. Yamaha recommends cleaning the Floppy Drive after every 10 hours of use. They also recommend a "Dry" method cleaning disk. Since Radio Shack is no longer doing business in England I'm not sure where you could pick up a cleaning disk kit for the PSR's Floppy Disk Drive but there must be someplace. The one I use is from Radio Shack and it includes a cleaning 'solution', ie., "drops" that are placed onto the cleaning disk. NOTE: If you get a kit with "drops" use only one or two drops at the most on the disk. Simply insert the disk into the Floppy Disk Drive (while powered ON) and you will hear the disk begin to 'churn'. It will churn for roughly 30 seconds and when it stops churning it is done and your Floppy Drive's head is now clean.

Hopefully that will clear up any 'errors' you've been getting of late when using your PSR's Floppy Disk Drive.

If that doesn't cut the mustard you may have a faulty Disk Drive. It would be under warranty though. If worse comes to worse you could even replace the faulty drive (speaking theoretically here) with a common Floppy Drive bought at a computer store, etc. Replacing the Drive is not that hard to do if you know what your doing.

Best regards,
Mike

#105980 - 12/14/03 08:17 AM Re: Psr 2100 Disk drive fault
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The very first thing you should do is a factory reset of the keyboard. Mike, however, is right about cleaning the floppy disk, something that should be done after 10 hours of use. He is also right in that replacing the disk drive is an easy task, however, because your keyboard is still under warranty, you should not do this yourself. If you open the case to repair anything, the warranty is voided at that point.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#105981 - 12/14/03 08:57 AM Re: Psr 2100 Disk drive fault
dazart Offline

Thanks to the replys.
I dont think I've had more than just a couple hours of use of the floppy drive since new although I will do a factory reset and see.
If not it will go back to the shop.I wont be happy about that not having a keyboard over the festive season and I am still enjoying listning to the psr performers with all their latest christmas songs.

Thankyou,
Regards,
Daz.

#105982 - 12/15/03 10:48 AM Re: Psr 2100 Disk drive fault
dazart Offline

Got hold of a disk drive cleaning kit today from the local microbytes store near my workplace and guess what it works now after cleaning the drive.
I'm very greatfull to you both keybplayer and travlin'easy cant thank you enough.

I've used several keyboards,and computers with floppy drives and never have I had to get a cleaning kit.I would never have guessed it.

Thankyou,
Regards,
Daz.

#105983 - 12/16/03 01:40 AM Re: Psr 2100 Disk drive fault
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I'd better clean the drive on my 2k then - I've been using it for 18 months and not done a thing!

A floppy drive going wrong after 1 month seems a bit soon, however. I'd keep a close eye on it.

You're not using unbranded floppies are you? I'm afraid I'm a TDK only person these days (I've had bad experiences with unbranded and also BASF and Dysan!)

[This message has been edited by MacAllcock (edited 12-16-2003).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online