SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#169997 - 12/09/03 02:46 PM MP3 Ripping - CDex Setup
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
I just recently downloaded CDex and also found a configuration tutorial (not necessarily endorsed by CDex). It strongly suggests not checking the "normalizing" button, that this is a destructive process causing structure change and clipping. Instead use MP3 gain, which I never heard of.

I always thought normalizing was the accepted standard for keeping the volume of each track somewhat the same, but I'm still new to recording. Anyone using CDex and have insight on this? Thanks

Glenn

#169998 - 12/09/03 07:14 PM Re: MP3 Ripping - CDex Setup
trtjazz Offline

Glenn
I don't use the program but about normalizing, it can be used in two different ways.
1. To make all instruments (frequencies really) on a given track equal in volume. Which I think defeats the purpose of placement of instruments in the mix.

2. Normalize an entire cd which insures that all tracks play at equal volume while maintaining their own dynamics within. This second use is normally done in the mastering process. And is pretty much the expected thing to do, though I myself am not sure it's a good thing. While there should not be great differences in volumes from one cut to the next I don't think it follows that there should be none either.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#169999 - 12/10/03 11:16 AM Re: MP3 Ripping - CDex Setup
technicsplayer Offline

normalising is the process of amplitude manipulation to make the loudest peak in the music as close to the clipping threshold as possible thus maximising the dynamic range of the playback medium. It does not affect the dynamic range or frequency spectrum of the material, that is compression. You can make the peaks of several tracks the same, or, measure the average subjective loudness across several tracks, and adjust the peaks to give the same average loudness, even though the peaks may differ, to avoid marked volume changes through an album, keeping all the time within the clipping threshold.

Most programs will normalise by converting to wave, adding the relevant numbers, and then converting back to mp3, something to be avoided since compressing and already compressed original again, thus losing more information. Mp3 gain is far superior because the normalisation is performed directly on the data frame blocks in mp3 format. Thus the volume adjustment is lossless and can be reversed to give a file identical to the original.

#170000 - 12/10/03 11:38 AM Re: MP3 Ripping - CDex Setup
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I always try to work with WAV format when recording myself, for this reason.
Going from WAV to MP3 back to WAV, back to MP3 causes increasing problems, in my experience.
The effect of normalizing in Nero Burning software is nothing more than making all songs relatively the same volume, not parts within the song.
DonM

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online