SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#218527 - 11/23/03 12:50 PM Live Styler soft arranger
Jick Duck Offline

Loc: Brooklyn NY
I've now evaluated Live Styler for a few weeks. I thought it would make my dream come true.
Well,, it almost does eccept some issues.
Here are the problems I've had and some sugestions to make it better for live playing.
In order form most to least important.

1) The screen that shows when the " ? " icon is pressed, randomly pops up on me and the style stops playing. Style has to be reloaded to play again. (demo limitation?)
(this is besides the occasional error that shuts down the program - Please note: I've repartitioned, reformatted, and reinstalled Windows XP just for this!! That's how important it is for me. I installed Live Styler and Vsampler standalone with no dx or vst support. I've found this to be the most stable.)

2)Style playing stops when a new style is selected even if selected through "Fload Style".
I don't know of any arranger keyboard that works this way. For me, it makes it unsuitable for live performance.

3)Pressing a fill automaticaly changes the accompaniment to that variation. It is good to have as an option (similar to the Ketron when the jump feature is selected - I'm not sure about the Yamaha arrangers) but this option should be able to be disabled.

4)The right hand harmony, when selected to AOC (left hand chord recognition), sounds TERRIBLE.
It doesn't even follow the left hand chord properly.(demo limitation?) Maybe this can be configured with "midi spy" function but the manual doesn't mention anything about the midi spy button.
Also, the harmony only sounds while the left hand keys are pressed. It should continue playing even if the left hand is released, till the next chord is pressed.(demo limitation?)

5)The melody and drum volume sliders don't work. (demo limitation?)

6)When the transpose button is pressed, the chord display shows the original chord (the actual keys pressed on the controller keyboard) It would be good to have an option where it displays the transposed chord information. This is how it is on my Ketron X4.

7)A shortcut key for harmony enable/disable would be a good feature for live playing. A shortcut for the harmony type would be even better!

8)Live-Styler is MAGNIFICENT!!!

The first three issues concern me the most. Without them I cannot purchase Live-Styler for live use.

I e-mailed to Stellberg@Stellberg.de twice about one or two of these issues some time ago but I didn't get a responce yet. I imagine that Stellberg wants to continually make his program better and better thats why I still have hope.
Frank, maybe you can help me with this one? Maybe forward this post to him or something?
I would really aprreciate that.

I still think that Live Styler is the best soft arranger out there.
I tried OMB. It's also good, especially the harmony which sounds fantastic. I just think that Live-Styler has more options and features that make it suitable for live use. Maybe OMB will win in another version.

Comments, criticism , 2 cents,...Anyone?

Jick

[This message has been edited by Jick Duck (edited 11-23-2003).]

#218528 - 11/24/03 05:29 AM Re: Live Styler soft arranger
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Well Jick Duck, I don't know what to say. It is to bad you are having all these issues. I would say it is not the result of you using a demo version. There is just something not working properly with your software and hardware - but I don't know what. I assume you have done the factory resets in Live - Styler and downloaded a recent update from N. Stellberg's web site. There could be communications problems with VSampler with respect to some of the issues, e.g., harmony - only guessing.

As you know, I have two computers (AMD & Pentium) and with the exception of the features you would like I have none of the issues. You will also recall before forte I used a very complex system of Cubase SX, Project5 rewired, VSTis and effects without glitches or crashes - none. This is what you would require (as you pointed out)for live performance applications.

So the features you point out in 2, 3, 6, and 7 could be added but this depends on whether they are practical to implement and what other users are requesting. The issues with respect to bugs and crashes should be identified to N. Stellberg and I am certain he will resolve them.

Jick Duck, I think it would be best if you identified your list of concerns to N. Stellberg rather then me doing it. Even if he does not respond he will likely resolve them in the next update.

#218529 - 11/28/03 02:40 PM Re: Live Styler soft arranger

Jick Duck & Vquestor, I am not certain who all is stirring things up but looks like there is a new version of Live - Styler. Check before installing it since it appears like a previous version to the removed update. In addition, it looks like a new version of forte is soon to be released (v 1.3b). You see if you wait long enough everything will work!!!

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 11-28-2003).]

#218530 - 12/01/03 02:02 PM Re: Live Styler soft arranger
Jick Duck Offline

Loc: Brooklyn NY
I am currently using version 5.1 but I don't see any difference.
I have a so-so get around for the fill to variation problem. Assign a fill to each intro, so at least 3 fills will work the way I want it. I haven't tried it yet. Have to edit the style.
How can I convert some Ketron styles I have to yamaha format? I'll need that to fully evaluate live-styler. Wasn't there a full functioning demo of EMC styleworks (for Yamaha psr) with a time limit? I can't find it anywhere on the net. Does anyone know where this is available for download?

Frank, would it still be possible for me to get livesynth pro? Vsampler is so expensive.

Thanks

#218531 - 12/01/03 02:23 PM Re: Live Styler soft arranger

Jick Duck, with respect to fills, it may also be possible to assign them to AB, BA, etc. I have not tried this but check it out.

As a generalization, a software based system will be a compromise when compared to the control surface of a keyboard. I have been at this now for about 2 years and am quite use to it even for live performances. Once you are properly setup you will find the software based system just as reliable as any other. That is not to say that you won't have some crashes while you are installing new software, instruments, effects and so on. If you work at it you will prevail - I am certain!!!

Email me re: LiveSynth Pro
flr@mts.net

#218532 - 12/01/03 02:31 PM Re: Live Styler soft arranger

Jick Duck, I forgot to respond to your question concerning Ketron styles. Some of them may already be available at various web sites:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/yamaha-psr-styles/ http://psrtutorial.com/Files/yamaha.html http://home7.inet.tele.dk/js/musik/740pages/ http://spectromagic.com/cgi-bin/psr2.cgi

Plus others - search google.

Fran Carnago will often convert styles for people if you plead with him (beg). He is a very nice guy accept he should start a new life without the G1000.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 12-01-2003).]

#218533 - 12/01/03 03:14 PM Re: Live Styler soft arranger

For those who may be interested I have been casting around for a substitute for LiveSynth Pro. There may be one possibility, namely:
http://www.rgcaudio.com/sfz%2B.htm

As it stands it does not work properly in the Yamaha format. I have been corresponding with them and providing sample midi and style files for testing. Who knows something may come of this!!!

I could rest in peace but this is to much fun. I am not ready to cross the great divide and play the Non-Midi Harp!!!

#218534 - 12/01/03 08:17 PM Re: Live Styler soft arranger
Vquestor Offline

Yes, sfz looks promising, but I have been
having problems with proper voice assignments
for SMFs. Maybe a future version will fix it.

#218535 - 12/02/03 05:05 AM Re: Live Styler soft arranger

Vquestor, they are working on it. They claimed that if a GM Mode (placing drums in channel 10) was incorporated it would fix it. I assured him there was more to go. They claim to have a fix in a week or so. We'll see!!!

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 12-02-2003).]

#218536 - 12/02/03 05:49 PM Re: Live Styler soft arranger

I just received a reply from rgcaudio concerning their sfz+ soundfont player. They purchased sYnerGiGS and claim to have it working properly with the samples of midi and style files I sent them. They plan to have an update in a few days.

I think this could lead to good news!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online