SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#213626 - 12/01/03 08:52 PM The Keyboard "Mistique"
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
What is it about our keyboards that makes us so awestruck by them? For some, I am sure they are merely a means to create music. But for others like me, I am constantly amazed at what comes out of those keys...how realistic instruments can be replicated and played on what looks like a piano keyboard...it mystifies me. Maybe it's because I am a 'gadget guy' and all sorts of gadgets fascinate me. I don't know...am I the only one? How do you react to your keyboard(s)? Is is a tool? A way to generate income? or more?

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#213627 - 12/02/03 04:10 AM Re: The Keyboard "Mistique"
trtjazz Offline

Tim
I too am amazed by the technology capabilities and changes I have witnessed in my life time.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#213628 - 12/02/03 05:48 AM Re: The Keyboard "Mistique"
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I find that I get attached to acoustic instruments, like the guitars I've owned even though I'm not a serious guitarist. It may be because they are made of organic materials. I've never owned an acoustic piano but I think I would feel the same and get attached to it. However I have never felt that way about my electronic instruments - they are my tools and if one comes along that's better than the one I have I'll dump the old one in a second. I can be fascinated by cool technology but not attached to it.

#213629 - 12/02/03 06:06 AM Re: The Keyboard "Mistique"
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by CoasterTim:
...how realistic instruments can be replicated and played on what looks like a piano keyboard...it mystifies me.

Hey Tim,

Mystifies me too!

Check this out:

http://genny.lib.umn.edu/demos/plucking.mpeg

http://genny.lib.umn.edu/demos/strumming.mpeg

Here's a cut&paste from the website where these videos are from:

See for yourself how easily you can imitate guitar techniques by playing on a single MIDI keyboard using Rhythm'n'Chords™ Pro for Cakewalk. The chords are assigned in the plug-in. Chord changes are executed on a MIDI keyboard with the left hand while the strumming or plucking rhythm part is played with the right hand.

Cool, huh?

mike

#213630 - 12/02/03 07:51 AM Re: The Keyboard "Mistique"
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I started playing over 35 years ago. I could never have imagined back then that I'd be able to do what I can now with today's keyboards. It's still kind of amazing to me.

As far as what Jim says about electronic instruments, I think at least in part, that has become the case for me as well. I guess part of it for me is that electronic instruments tend to change a lot in a relatively short period of time, and something a few years old becomes "yesterday's news", ( not that there is anything wrong with an older instrument.. just a perception ) while acoustic instruments do not. What I do see right now though is nostalgia for the older analog type instruments. Ten years ago, it seemed as if noone wanted my Poly 6. Today, it's become enough of a classic that there is a dedicated softsynth that emulates it.

Perhaps at some point the current digital / midi standard will evolve into something else, and years from now there will be nostalgia for instruments like the Tyros, or the Korg Triton. or perhaps not.

I have Rythym N chords and all of the libraries. It works ok, and is probably among the best of what is out there right now. I find the need to edit the data I get( adjust velocities, note lengths, start times.. etc ), to get a more realistic feel. It's very good for creating midi data to be used in user style files, user multipads or user arps for my Motif ES.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 12-02-2003).]

#213631 - 12/02/03 08:12 AM Re: The Keyboard "Mistique"
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluezplayer:
Ten years ago, it seemed as if noone wanted my Poly 6. Today, it's become enough of a classic that there is a dedicated softsynth that emulates it.

I want it too! I've owned about four Polysixes in my day (two I bought for $50 that didn't work and later resold). I can't wait for the PolySix softsynth, but Korg promised it quite a while ago and hasn't said a word since - probably waiting for NAMM.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online