SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#107045 - 10/27/03 06:57 AM OT - Spam
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
It's getting to the point for me where I'd almost rather not bother having an email address when I get on average 50 to 100 spam emails a day. I read in one of the other posts that Nigel gets 400 - 600 a day.

I guess I might try one of the programs out there that filters. Maybe it will help..

Still, it isn't worth too much bother to me. It's great to be able to exchange ideas over the net, and email is part of it, but I'm tired of sifting through all the junk. I can hardly wait to see what my inbox will look like if I go away for a week..

AJ

#107046 - 10/27/03 07:24 AM Re: OT - Spam
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I use a few different addresses. My Yahoo address receives about 25 Junk Mail messages a day, but they are diverted into the Junk mail box.
I don't get many on my Bellsouth mail, and none on my new address that I got with the web site. I try to always use the Yahoo address when I'm dealing with anyone who might share my email information. And Yahoo DOES share, whether they are supposed to or not.
DonM

#107047 - 10/27/03 08:00 AM Re: OT - Spam
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I am somewhat familiar with how spam programs programs "spider" and randomly pick out names, as if picking from a list. I see it all the time. The message is targeted at all the "Blue" names. Mine is easy.. Bluezplayer.. So I might just change it up and add some random numbers. I notice that our yahoo email addresses with numbers in them get almost none of this stuff, and where it's necessary to submit an email address, I don't give up my primary one, but the spider programs find me anyway.

It's just a tad annoying that I should have to consider chnaging my primary email name.. It's the one I had ever since I've been on the net.

AJ

#107048 - 10/27/03 08:12 AM Re: OT - Spam
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Bluezplayer. Just go to your e-mail browser options and set your required security levels.
You can even setup a list of emails from people you only wish to let through.

I have one email address for all the Forums and general web use which I set at a very high security level. I have a second email just for my personal friends. I now get NO JUNK EMAILS.

Graham UK

[This message has been edited by Graham UK (edited 10-27-2003).]

#107049 - 10/27/03 08:17 AM Re: OT - Spam
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
I hear ya AJ. There's a program called Mailwasher that you can use to 'separate' the junk from the legit before it reaches your inbox. You just set up Mailwasher, run it, and it retrieves your email so you can sift through it -eliminating the bad from the good - and it even opens up your default email Program, eg., Outlook Express, etc., to retrieve the 'good email' that you didn't have Mailwasher delete. Basically it saves you from getting the junk delivered to your 'inbox' which could save you from possible viruses, etc.

Also the Senate just passed an Anti-Spam bill so when it's enacted and takes effect hopefully the Spam problem will diminish drastically. At least that's my hope anyway.

Best regards,
Mike

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online