SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#93338 - 10/08/03 12:00 PM If only
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
If only I had the money or if playing music was my main source of income or if I knew for sure I'd make $3500 playing music this year I would have bought the KN 7000 this morning.

Maybe not if the sequencer sucks. I didn't have time to look very hard at that function.
Styles, sounds ease of operation, it wins hands down. I'll check the manual and the keyboard itself for the sequencing when I go back.

No Tyros in stock but the owner swore that the Yamaha Clavinova I tried was identical. I couldn't get past the exit button having to be pushed so often. It had me confused. I'll look at it again when I go back.

Is $3500 the best price on the KN7000?

Boy if the left hand bass isn't a problem I can't figure out why Dave, DonM, Donny, and Scott doesn't own or have this thing ordered. Nothing else I've listened to compares sound and style wise to me.

I didn't mention Fran because he has a lifetime contract to Roland Porducts.

Dave, DonM, Donny, Scott, what am I missing here?

[This message has been edited by brickboo (edited 10-08-2003).]

#93339 - 10/08/03 12:25 PM Re: If only
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I can get you one for $3000 Boo. the drums are mostly what keeps me from loving it, and the lack of a real mic input that sounds like me.

#93340 - 10/08/03 12:39 PM Re: If only
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Boo,
I played Technics KN800, 1000, 2000 and 5000, and they did have good styles and sounds.
I switched because the other companies were offering good-quality mic inputs with vocal harmony and because Technics at that time wouldn't accept any hard drive except a proprietary one that was WAY expensive.
I did audition a KN6000. Mic input was unusable and it they had not addressed the HD problem. I haven't seen the 7000, but I understand the mic input is still no good.
They now use a memory card, so the hard drive thing isn't that big a problem.
Of course I don't have a HD on the 2100 either, but now I have a laptop and don't need it so much.
$3500. is too much.
DonM

#93341 - 10/08/03 01:06 PM Re: If only
Dnj Offline

Boo,

Thats allot of Brick Laying for a Kn7000!
Your gonna miss your i30 Sliders too..

#93342 - 10/08/03 01:21 PM Re: If only
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Dave maybe if I didn't use the accom parts and just used only the drums and bass more I might notice a fault with the drums.

DomM so without the good mic input you'd have to go back to the external harmony etc., is what you don't like? I do have 2 Korg ih harmony boxes. And they are supposed to work with any keyboard. I can live with them for a while. No harmony machine sounds great to me. Just like the Sax sounds will never sound good to a sax player.

Donny thanks for reminding me about the sliders. I hate having to hold a button down to turn up the volume. However I could live maybe with the slider system on the KN7000. It did have a unique slider system that did seperate the main keyboard from the Acc parts.

It's just that that sucker sounds fabulous. And did that guy tell me the onboard speakers were 75 watts? No that doesn't sound right.

Oh yes! He has a KN2600 set-up too. No comparison. It is definitely a different sound module (engine) whatever you call it. The over all tone of the instruments and the speakers were pretty bad next to the KN7000. And I have to mention that the PA60 sitting right there next to the KN7000 still sounds very very good.

[This message has been edited by brickboo (edited 10-08-2003).]

#93343 - 10/08/03 04:14 PM Re: If only
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Brickboo,
it has a fairly easy sequencer to use.
Easy Record, where you just press the record button and play away.
Realtime Record
Step Record
It's different to the korg, though.
It also has extensive onboard editing including drum and piano roll editors as well as well as its normal editing screen.
It functions like insert & delete bars, clear bars, change velocity of a track, note change etc etc
Has a user drum where you can edit/create your own drum set.
Extensive sound editing.
Great tools for creating your own composer patterns including seq to style. ( midifile to style function) I've personally used this function for converting styles from midifiles.
Easy composer, where you scroll through style parts to create new variations for styles.
etc etc
Don't forget to check out the pads.
Pads 1to4 have 2 tracks. Pads 5 & 6 only have 1 track, but it has a chord progression track. Great for adding a bit of variety within a song.
Also has onboard "Pad" creating facilities includ seq to pad function. In short, create a pad from a midile.

The only thing you might not get to see , is the kn7's audio functions.( Ability to play mp3's from sd card) To do this you need the Panasonic PC SD Audio Writing Kit ( optional extra comprising sd card reader & juke box software)
It's handy, as anything that can be recorded via the kn7's audio input, can be recorded saved as an audio file and converted to mp3 for use on the sd card

My salesman here in Sydney didn't know the first thing about the audio functions on the kn's, hopefully by now, they understand it a bit more about it.

YOu won't find much mention of it in the normal kn7 manual.

Also there's the KN7 website where you can download the hundreds of prior kn styles. kn2, 3,5,6's for free. They've been tweaked to work on the kn7 only.

best wishes
Rikki

p.s. don't forget there's an actual technics forum as well on Synthzone.
Sorry for sprouting, no use doing it on the Technics forum as the kn7 owners are already aware of this machines potential ( haahaa)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by brickboo:
[B]
Maybe not if the sequencer sucks. I didn't have time to look very hard at that function.
Styles, sounds ease of operation, it wins hands down. I'll check the manual and the keyboard itself for the sequencing when I go back.

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 10-08-2003).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online