SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#92359 - 10/03/03 11:46 AM Yamaha Motif ES8 ...
MusiKMan Offline

Loc: California, USA
Guys, I downloaded the Motif ES8 manual and this machine is like nothing on planet Earth !!!
Serioiusly, I cant wait to try it in person..also, question, the manual says that it has an optional board where one can send up to 16 tracks of digital audio to the pc via mlan or somethin like that..
do you guys know if they sell the pci card to put on the pc or laptop to go with this board?

I currently have cubase vst32 and dont know if it will work with this awsome machine and wondered if you guys have any more details..

peace,

Musikman

Musikman4Christ........

#92360 - 10/03/03 12:11 PM Re: Yamaha Motif ES8 ...
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
The mLan board is not yet available for the Motif ES8.

#92361 - 10/03/03 12:28 PM Re: Yamaha Motif ES8 ...
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Good thing you downloaded the manual first! You had better start reading now, because one thing the MO ES 8 isn't is INTUITIVE!!! I personally think the Motif classic and now the ES have the worst operating system's of any synth out there. Kurzweil is a close second. 1st is the Fantom, 2nd is the Triton.

I like the MO's control surfaces, but the O/S just plain stinks. Nothing like the Tyros or 2xxxx series boards.

IMHO
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#92362 - 10/03/03 12:57 PM Re: Yamaha Motif ES8 ...
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
The Motif was a difficult OS to learn, but once you learn it, the OS does make a lot of sense. The manual helps, but if you really need to find out something, the Motifator site is the place to get it. The ES just sounds great. I can overlook the OS difficulties a little because on the rare occasions I want to play it out ( live ), I'm really just looking to use the fabulous sounds it has.

Part of it I think is that there is just so much going on in the Motif, including some features I probably won't use, but I would agree that it could have been laid out a little better. The Fantom seemed so much easier and more intuitive, but... the Fantom just doesn't have the sounds I want. Not even close in many categories, and downright awful in a few. I have been talking with a few other players I know and a couple of guys that sell this stuff, and we all pretty much agree that Roland has taken a back seat to both Yamaha and Korg over the past few years... ironic because in the not so distant past we all thought of Roland as the boards to have when you wanted the best sounds.. especially acoustic stuff.

Now the TS and the TS2 have a very decent OS ( but I've always liked the way Korg lays things out in general ) and I really like the TS2 sounds. This was a much tougher choice for me vs the Motif, but playing them side by side I'll still take the Motif over it. I can easily see someone else going the oppostie route too though. I just think for my ears, noone does the Rhodes, Wurlis and Clavis like the Motif. Ditto some of the acoustic stuff. At least nothing hardware that I've played. I still give the Triton stuff the edge on synth sounds, but the gap quickly closed for me when I added the AN150 analog modeling board to the Motif.

The Tyros does a lot of sounds very well too. In fact it sounds so nice I have tossed the idea around more than once of parting with the PSR2k and maybe even the PA80 in favor of the Tyros, but I'd surely miss some of the stuff the PA80 has going on, and I'd miss the speakers, so this won't likely happen. As much as I like the Tyros, it isn't an option vs the Motif / ES either because I require at least one board to have the arps, sampling, access to raw samples when editing patches, and most important of all, ability to host my AN150 and VL150 plug ins and my breathe controller. The sliders and assignable knobs are a big plus too..

If money were no object, and it had speakers, I'd almost surely get one to go along side the PA80 and the Motif, and dump the 2000. But... money is an object and the Access Virus is on my wish list too, though I probably won't get one any time soon. The program "Reason" is really the next thing on the list after I get my ES. I'm just waiting for the local store to get the ES 7, so I can see if transporting it from time to time will be a fairly easy option. Otherwise, I'll "suffer" with the 6.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 10-03-2003).]

#92363 - 10/03/03 03:48 PM Re: Yamaha Motif ES8 ...
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluezplayer:
The Motif was a difficult OS to learn, but once you learn it, the OS does make a lot of sense. The manual helps, but if you really need to find out something, the Motifator site is the place to get it. The ES just sounds great. I can overlook the OS difficulties a little because on the rare occasions I want to play it out ( live ), I'm really just looking to use the fabulous sounds it has.

Part of it I think is that there is just so much going on in the Motif, including some features I probably won't use, but I would agree that it could have been laid out a little better. The Fantom seemed so much easier and more intuitive, but... the Fantom just doesn't have the sounds I want. Not even close in many categories, and downright awful in a few. I have been talking with a few other players I know and a couple of guys that sell this stuff, and we all pretty much agree that Roland has taken a back seat to both Yamaha and Korg over the past few years... ironic because in the not so distant past we all thought of Roland as the boards to have when you wanted the best sounds.. especially acoustic stuff.

Now the TS and the TS2 have a very decent OS ( but I've always liked the way Korg lays things out in general ) and I really like the TS2 sounds. This was a much tougher choice for me vs the Motif, but playing them side by side I'll still take the Motif over it. I can easily see someone else going the oppostie route too though. I just think for my ears, noone does the Rhodes, Wurlis and Clavis like the Motif. Ditto some of the acoustic stuff. At least nothing hardware that I've played. I still give the Triton stuff the edge on synth sounds, but the gap quickly closed for me when I added the AN150 analog modeling board to the Motif.

The Tyros does a lot of sounds very well too. In fact it sounds so nice I have tossed the idea around more than once of parting with the PSR2k and maybe even the PA80 in favor of the Tyros, but I'd surely miss some of the stuff the PA80 has going on, and I'd miss the speakers, so this won't likely happen. As much as I like the Tyros, it isn't an option vs the Motif / ES either because I require at least one board to have the arps, sampling, access to raw samples when editing patches, and most important of all, ability to host my AN150 and VL150 plug ins and my breathe controller. The sliders and assignable knobs are a big plus too..

If money were no object, and it had speakers, I'd almost surely get one to go along side the PA80 and the Motif, and dump the 2000. But... money is an object and the Access Virus is on my wish list too, though I probably won't get one any time soon. The program "Reason" is really the next thing on the list after I get my ES. I'm just waiting for the local store to get the ES 7, so I can see if transporting it from time to time will be a fairly easy option. Otherwise, I'll "suffer" with the 6.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 10-03-2003).]

Man Aj, your starting to sound like my alter-ego more and more each day. I couldn't agree with you more on every point.

I have the Tyros, but I really want the Mo 8 Es. Now if only the kids didn't need teeth and a college education, I'd be all set. LOL

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online