SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#110220 - 09/24/03 12:41 PM Uncle Dave, Re: PSR2100 vs Tyros
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Uncle Dave and all

I see you have a Tyros and a PSR2100. I would love to hear your comparison of the two.

Thanx
Scott Langholff

#110221 - 09/25/03 09:01 AM Re: Uncle Dave, Re: PSR2100 vs Tyros
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I also would like to know what you don't like about the Technics KN7000.
Great key feel, full size keys, great sounds, powerfull on-board amp (the most powerfull in the business) and speakers, you don't use the harmonizer anyways.
Just curious.
Starkeeper

#110222 - 09/25/03 03:33 PM Re: Uncle Dave, Re: PSR2100 vs Tyros
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Since when do you need a reason. I ask Ruthie the same thing, why don't you like this or that? BECAUSE I JUST DON'T!!!!!

So there, Grandpa Doug

#110223 - 09/25/03 08:44 PM Re: Uncle Dave, Re: PSR2100 vs Tyros
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Hmmmm, you want reasons?
The Tyros has an edge in key feel.
the 2100 has speakers.
The Tyros has a hard drive option.
The 2100 has speakers.
The Tyros has a great screen.
The 2100 has ....well you get the idea!

As for the kn7000. My initial hangup was the fingering mode, but I may be past that now. The Yammy has forced me to buddy-up with AI mode. Maybe the 7000 will play that way too?The harmonizer really does bug me, because there are occasions that I do not bring my rack, and I still need to have quality mic effects and EQ. The mic is #1 priority in my shows, then the drums, then the bass, piano and all the rest.
The kn7000 may still find it's way into my studio...who knows.
(Down Doug...down boy !)

#110224 - 09/25/03 09:24 PM Re: Uncle Dave, Re: PSR2100 vs Tyros
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Uncle Dave

Well, I know you like to have built in speakers. I am guessing that is especially true because you sing. I don't sing, so this may not be an issue for me.

What I am curious about, since I can't see any arranger kb's unless I drive for hours, is tone comparison of the same voices between the two.

You are the first person I know of that has these two boards. I guess I am mainly wondering about the tone of the like sweet, live , cool voices. Especially piano, jazz organ, organ drawbar sounds, organ voices, sax section and the general overall style tone.

Do you think there is a major difference here, or do you think its very close, or possible the same?

Hope you can shed a little light at my general questions.

Thanx
Scott

#110225 - 09/26/03 07:53 AM Re: Uncle Dave, Re: PSR2100 vs Tyros
Uncle Dave Offline

Scott,
The only voices we A/B'd in a serious maner were the "Live" Grand Piano, "Cool" Electric and a few organs..... they are virtually identical. I'm sure the Tyros must have more voices available, but it seems that the ones that are named the same ... ARE the same.

#110226 - 09/26/03 08:31 AM Re: Uncle Dave, Re: PSR2100 vs Tyros
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
OT
My 2 Cents worth excuse me for crashing the party

"Starkeeper - Technics KN7000.
Great key feel, full size keys, great sounds, powerfull on-board amp (the most powerfull in the business"

I don't remember the specs about the power ratings (I will find out) but let me tell you the speakers and amps on the Genesys blow it out of the water. I have both the KN7000 and the Genesys. Having said that the Speakers on the Kn7000 are pretty damned good and loud. They are superior to the PSR 2000.

I've had the KN 7000 for only a week now and love many things about it, and a lot I don't like but am still holding judgement till I'm a little more knowledgeable. If you like Organs (Especially Theatre Organ) this is really darned good. The drawbars are decent and the Leslie effect is not 100% but very very passible. I like the kn7000 styles better than the 2000 but that is a matter of personal taste. I miss one or two of the psr 2000 styles.

I had a PSR 2000 but I just do not like swapping floppies. The 2000-2100 has got to be one of the best buys in this industry.
I did not like the Organs on PSR very much. I felt the piano was ok. I do miss the Blues harp and Sax on the PSR they were nearly perfect. I hated the keys - Junk in my opinion. Oh it sure was a lot easier to move from room to room the KN is no lightweigt but lighter then The Genesys.

After running my mouth off (fingers) I have to say I'm not a musician but just an amature making up for lack of talent with good equipment. Strictly a hobby that keeps me off he street.

Jerry

#110227 - 09/26/03 12:41 PM Re: Uncle Dave, Re: PSR2100 vs Tyros
Uncle Dave Offline

...Hey Jer - still waiting for
"Monty Hall" to show up.
"Come on down !"
hint

#110228 - 09/26/03 04:56 PM Re: Uncle Dave, Re: PSR2100 vs Tyros
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Watch out for curtain number three..