SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#136398 - 08/21/03 01:34 PM adding to a recorded track?
Philip1 Offline

Loc: Jerusalem, Israel
Hi everyone,

I'm trying my hand at multi-track recording for the first time on my new psr-2100. I was wondering: after having recorded a track (main), can I continue recording on that track without erasing what I previously recorded? That way I can record a song part by part. I tried it, but erased the track .

TIA!

Philip

#136399 - 08/21/03 01:56 PM Re: adding to a recorded track?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Yes you can, if I understand you correctly. You would use a "punch in" at a particular measure, at least that is how it would be done on a PSR550.
Star

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 08-21-2003).]

#136400 - 08/21/03 02:15 PM Re: adding to a recorded track?
Dnj Offline

#136401 - 08/21/03 02:17 PM Re: adding to a recorded track?
Philip1 Offline

I got really confused when I reloaded the page and saw the change in your message . But I rather prefer the second version! In any case, it looks like you're right. The only thing is...I found it in the manual, but *sigh*...How come these keyboards are so good but the manuals are #$!$#@!!!

Can someone explain to me in English what the manual is trying to say about punch in/out...?

Thanks in advance!

#136402 - 08/21/03 02:20 PM Re: adding to a recorded track?
Philip1 Offline

Dnj, I looked there, but my issue isn't discussed...

#136403 - 08/21/03 03:02 PM Re: adding to a recorded track?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.... Are you recording a track, but want to record data over top of what you just recorded meaing (overdubbing) another part onto the same track? If so the PSR's won't record this way. Their sequencers are a little different than synths. On the PSR's when you record data overtop of something you already recorded, it will replace your old part with the new recorded data.. Now if you want to go into the track and re-do something or add something in between parts you can do punch in recording, but when you punch in it too will overwrite the already recorded data and replace that with what you added.. Hope this makes sense..

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#136404 - 08/21/03 03:50 PM Re: adding to a recorded track?
Philip1 Offline

What I'm trying to do is ADD to an already recorded track, i.e. make it longer.

#136405 - 08/21/03 06:56 PM Re: adding to a recorded track?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
That just depends on where you want to add th new data. You can use punch in recording and add date anywhere you like within the track, Do you mean make longer by adding to the end of a recorded track or at the begining of a recorded track.. If so this is again accomplished by punch in recording. If you attempt to overdub any data over existing data (in hopes to get them to play together), the new data will replace the old.. However the PSR's do allow track merging, which in a way is like overdub recording. You record two tracks, merge them together, and you free up another track for recording...

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#136406 - 09/12/03 12:58 PM Re: adding to a recorded track?
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Philip..
I don't know the psr-2100 but if it's like any of the other top quality units...and like squeak was trying to explain, You should be able to set a point to punch in at. This basically means you can accompany along prior to the actual recording location. When That point is reached, recording will automatically begin. but the location point, or whatever they may refer to it as, has to be set first.
Good Luck

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online