SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#169244 - 08/12/03 06:01 PM Tyros 'Voice Editor' & CD-Soft 'Custom' Voice Collection
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Just discovered the 'custom voice' feature on the Tyros. This allows you to edit the Tyros 'preset' voices (sounds) from your PC via the 'Yamaha Voice Editor' software utility program, and then send & store these edited voices in the Custom Voice area on the Tyros. This voice storage area contains 128 memory slots for edited 'preset' sounds sent from the 'Yamaha Voice Editor', but in actuality, can only hold about 59-60 'custom' voices (at one time) because of memory restrctions. Still, because the 'custom' memory area is separate entirely (as far as I can tell) from 'user' memory, this doesn't take up any of the preciously limited (3.5 mb) of Tyros 'user' memory allocated for user: styles, registrations, music finder data, and standard user voices.

Though I haven't played around extensively with the PC 'Voice Editor' program much, I recently got the collection of 128 custom Tyros voices produced by CD-Soft in Germany. This impressive collection sounds terrific & really expands the Tyros voice (sound) palette with many 'very usable' voices. I highly recommended this excellent professionally produced sound collection.
http://www.cd-soft.de/YAMAHA_-_Tyros/Tyros_Link/Custom_Voices/custom_voices.html

The CD-soft custom 128 voice collection comes in 4 files, each file containing 32 custom voices which must be transfered to the Tyros from a PC, using the 'Yamaha Voice Editor' via: bulk tranmit . These files unfortunately cannot be transfered to the Tyros via a floppy disk, or any other method for that matter. I really would have loved to been able to have all 128 custom voices in the Tyros (at once) at my disposalto select and play from, but this unfortunately isn't possible, as far as I can tell. I had hoped to be able to copy and paste the 'custom' edited voices to one of the other storage areas on the keyboard (FD, HD, User area), and subsequently call all 128 of them from that location, but this isn't possible either. Yes, you can copy 'custom' voices to these other storage area locations, but the only thing actually stored (except for edit modifications) is a pointer to the 'custom' voice location. A further added fact is that even 'custom memory' voices are only 'edited modifications' of the original 'preset' voices . As a result, if you call up a 'user' voice which comes from a 'custom' voice, you're actually calling up a twice removed edited 'Preset' voice. Are you confused yet?

Scott

#169245 - 08/13/03 06:23 AM Re: Tyros 'Voice Editor' & CD-Soft 'Custom' Voice Collection
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Scott,

Thanks for the link. Some of those sounds are very good. I must say I have pretty much under-utilized this function on the Ty. I have customized Drawbar Organs that I use during performance.

The one frustration that I have with custom voices on the Tyros is they CANNOT be mapped to a Registration for later recall. I have not found a way to do this and it really get's me angry.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#169246 - 08/13/03 10:01 AM Re: Tyros 'Voice Editor' & CD-Soft 'Custom' Voice Collection
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
The one frustration that I have with custom voices on the Tyros is they CANNOT be mapped to a Registration for later recall. I have not found a way to do this and it really get's me angry.
Al

Hi Al,

Strange to hear you say this because I have absolutely 'no problem' mapping & saving Tyros 'custom voices' to Registrations. It's important to remember when saving to Reg, that the 'voice' and 'style' (if you want to save to the left voice) boxes are checked in Reg. Memory Contents. Btw: I'm also able to save 'custom voices' in USER Style OTS as well.

In addition, you can also store 'custom voices' into any of a 'user' style's "AUTO-ACCOMPANIMENT" parts as well.

The bottom line, at least on 'my' Tyros, is that 'custom voices' can be utilized & stored in both 'Registrations' & 'User Styles' the same way 'preset voices' are.

Al, Good Luck. If you need help in getting this 'set up', feel free to email me privately.

Scott

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online