SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#220773 - 08/04/03 11:06 PM psr2100 recording glitch?
musickatz2 Offline

I have something that has been bugging me since I received my 2100. Actually 2 things! First....When recording with the unit....the DSP effects button can switch off without warning. This ruins the track because there is a momentary volume dip and there is, of course, a change in reverb etc. I ran this problem by George, where I purchased it, and he just referred me to a yamaha number (not 1800!) that was impossible to get thru. He told me the boards were reliable and that there wasn't a problem. All i can say is that I had the psr2000 also and had no problems with that whatsoever...a real solid board. That brings me to the second problem....i've heard this mentioned before a long time back in here but with not much said...here goes. When recording....there can be "aftifacts" of noise that show up...crackling. It was so bad on one song that i had to run the song thru cool edit pro to get rid of the crackling....like i do with my old lps!! It doesn't happen often...but it has happened. Any ideas out there on that problem? Thanks again all out there!!

#220774 - 08/05/03 12:49 AM Re: psr2100 recording glitch?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
"Turns off Without warning"....

A couple of thoughts.....

Are you sure there isn't something happening? Style change? Voice change? One-touch setting synchronised to style change?

Are you using a non-Yamaha style or sequence that contains SysEx that the Yam recognises as "turn DSP off"?

#220775 - 08/05/03 08:12 AM Re: psr2100 recording glitch?
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
You say "when recording there can be 'artifacts' "Noise" [when playing back of a recording??] or [during the recording process??] If you have noise during playback it could be from the internal speakers, ie., "possibly bad or defective speakers"- or in correlation with loose connections or possibly even faulty wiring within the PSR 2100, ie., "bad Board".

If you have noise "during" the recording process (noise such as pops or crackles that get mixed into the recording when you record), and show up in the recording when you play it back, then again; this is an abnormality that 'should not' be happening. My suggestion would be to secure each and every connection on the Keyboard. Try turning the Master Volume knob rapidly up and down and see if you hear any "static" emanating from the speakers. Turning the Master Volume knob back and forth will hopefully eliminate any static that has been built up within the sound system which dust and foreign particles that accumulate could cause. (The static "noise" could possibly be getting into the recording that way somehow). Then try and do a recording again.

If you still have problems with "noise" in your subsequent recordings the Keyboard could possibly have bad a Flash RAM chip or other defective part[s].

If worse comes to worse you could always 'exchange' the PSR 2100 for another one. Retail and Online Music Stores usually all have a 30-45 day return/exchange policy.

Again, what you are experiencing on your PSR 2100 is an anomaly and should NOT be occurring regardless. If you find no solution to the problem I would not hesitate if it were me to return/exchange it.

Best regards,
Mike

#220776 - 08/05/03 01:03 PM Re: psr2100 recording glitch?
musickatz2 Offline

Thank you Mac...but voice and style remain the same throughout the song. You mentioned one touch setting tho....and i dont really use that since i dont play live with this...its just for recording. So thats a mystery to me if thats changing. I'll say this tho...everytime that i go to re-record a track, the dsp does switch off about 80% of the time and has to be switched back on before i record again. I dont know if that has anything to do with it. Usually this happens when i'm recording just one track with one voice...such as 12 string guitar, or piano. When I record my first live tracks I usually record drums, bass, and piano at once. Then I start fine tuning it with re-recording individual tracks. I am aware during this initial phase that i have to turn off the auto accomp tracks for the arranger or else it will go nuts. I think squeek mentioned that on an earlier post. BTW. the easiest way to turn that off is to hit the channel on off button and it will show the auto accomp...turn off everything except the drums. But Mac, all the styles i'm using are on board...so that cant be it either. If there is a check for that ots let me know. I turn the ots link button off at all times tho. Thanks

#220777 - 08/05/03 01:17 PM Re: psr2100 recording glitch?
musickatz2 Offline

Hi Idatrod...The Noise is a crackling similar to a popping on a scratched record. It is when i'm recording and its actually in the midi file. I dont think its the speakers cause its not on every file...just a couple so far. Bad board...i hope not but thats scary! The board is still new and the master vol knob is without static. Of course if its a bad flash rom i dont know how i'd diagnose that but thats also scary! Like I said...I called George in my first week of posession of this board and he was less than no help in this matter. I'm probably outside of 45 days now...i'll have to check. But I do thank you for your response....I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything that I wasn't supposed to be doing!! hehe.

#220778 - 08/05/03 03:51 PM Re: psr2100 recording glitch?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Just a thought here.. How many insert effects can the PSR-2100 run at the same time? Have you tried turning off the "voice set" feature??? When you select a voice effects are automatically chosen for the voices and so on.. I know that since my PSR-550 only handles one insert effect at a time, in order for to avoid conflicting DSP problems I always turn off the voice set before I record... Meaning I choose my own effects manually..... I'm not sure if this is the problem with your 2100, but thought I'd mention this.. Again for the possibility that you maybe exceeded the DSP limitations as it relates to insert effects.. As far as the crackling actually being in the recording, that's a fault of the keyboard.. Could be a loose wire connection somewhere or even something with the motherboard.. I can understand if you're gettting it just from the speakers, but if it's actually recording into the music means the problem is deeper than that. Have you tried using an external set of speakers to play back the songs to see if the sound is there?

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#220779 - 08/05/03 08:14 PM Re: psr2100 recording glitch?
musickatz2 Offline

Hi Squeak...I just usually grab a voice thats already sounding good from the board...so I've never turned off that voice set feature. I have gotten in and added reverb at the final mix tho and maybe thats what i have to start doing instead of using the dsp. Is that what your saying?...that you record "dry" (without effects) and add in at the final mixdown? Or are you saying you choose one effect for the track before you play it? I suspected the on board speakers so I did play it thru the computer sound system with the same results. I know that in searching back in this chat....someone else brought up the exact same problem, but they didn't come to any resolution, so I figured it might be something I was doing wrong. But I never had this problem with the psr2000 at all. With this board...i have to save each time i record a track so if the dsp messes up that i wont lose the whole song cause its corrupted with a sound dip or crackling. Anyways...I'll try looking into the voice set idea....thanks Sqeak....Did you see my note on how to turn off the auto accomp easily when getting ready to record? Tc

#220780 - 08/07/03 02:15 AM Re: psr2100 recording glitch?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
wierd

#220781 - 08/07/03 05:55 AM Re: psr2100 recording glitch?
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by musickatz2:
...It is when i'm recording and its actually in the midi file.

Really?...The noise got tagged as an 'event' in the midi file?

Any chance of seeing/hearing this midi file?

mike

#220782 - 08/07/03 11:45 AM Re: psr2100 recording glitch?
musickatz2 Offline

ms...I will sort thru my files to see which ones were affected. I believe 2 out of 20 so far were fairly bad. Soon as i find them again I'll let you know i'm E'ing them to you! :-)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online