SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#181277 - 07/18/03 03:08 PM Keyboard Magazine Review of Tyros
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I just received my current issue of Keyboard magazine and there is a rather large review of the Tyros written by "Ed Alstrom"

In risking any copyright violations, here is the conclusion and quote from Ed:

"The Tyros isn't an instrument that goes where no keyboard has gone before -- but it goes where it goes in style. It looks cool, plays nicely, sounds terrific, and above all, it's an object lesson on how to design a good user interface. There's nothing to break out the bubbly over, but there's certainly little not to like about the Tyros. If you're looking for high-quality accompaniment and arranger features and your main interest is live playing rather than production, the Tyros is a beautiful, well thought-out music machine with pristine sound, and a lot of convenient and thoughtful touches to reccomend it."

It's a really good review so pick up a copy of this months mag if your interested.

Al

[This message has been edited by kbrkr (edited 07-18-2003).]

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#181278 - 07/18/03 04:09 PM Re: Keyboard Magazine Review of Tyros
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
hmmm. sounds awfully similar to my review of the Tyros.

The Tyros is a compact, lightweight, easy to navigate full featured keyboard which includes the most advanced pro sounds & styles, and nothing else imho comes close, especially if you're a pro gigging musician who also requires lightweight portability. I continue to enjoy performing with and recommend the Tyros as it fullfills my #1 criteria in choosing a keyboard: It 'inspires my 'musical performance' more than any other arranger keyboard I've ever played.

Scott

#181279 - 07/19/03 07:28 AM Re: Keyboard Magazine Review of Tyros
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Thanks Al for sharing that outtake from Keyboard Mag. The Tyros does have much to offer but I'm still waiting for a Professional Arranger that I can break out the "Bubbly" for. The 61 Key Korg Pa1-X may be it, maybe not. Yamaha has got something up its sleeve I'm sure, but when it is unveiled is anyone's guess. It usually takes about a year and a half to two years to come out with another High End Arranger whether it be from Yamaha, Korg, Roland-(well, maybe not Roland ), GEM, etc. So we could expect something from Yamaha as early as Winter NAMM 2004. For now I've got my trusty PSR 2000 and I will seriously consider the new Motif ES 7 when it hits the shelves in September-October of this year as a supplement, "albeit non-Arranger" to use with my Band which I wouldn't and don't use any Arranger type features when playing with them anyway. But for those who want a very versatile great sounding Arranger(when used through an external sound source of course ) then the Tyros would fit the bill nicely.

Best regards,
Mike

#181280 - 07/19/03 09:51 AM Re: Keyboard Magazine Review of Tyros
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Hi Mike,

I too, will probably seriously consider the Motif ES 7 for gigging. I currently take out the Tyros with me. The reason I do that, is just in case someone asks us to play something techno or some obscure song we don't know, I can call it up on the Tyros display.

You did get me curious with your remark about the "bubbly". What exactly would it take for you to pop your cork in an arranger?

Regards,
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#181281 - 07/19/03 10:14 PM Re: Keyboard Magazine Review of Tyros
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
My cork popper would have to include:

61 solid keys
quality speakers
ample buttons for real time access
instant access to volumes for parts
hard drive support
quality mic in with user definable harmonizer
manual bass in a flash
arranger in a flash
logical style progression
tasteful, understated fills (generic)
no touch screen ... or at least - buttons that duplicate the screen's.
under 40lbs....preferably under 35.
no wasted space to the L & R of the keys
(Tyros & VA7 have SO much space there)

I don't expect all these items to be produced in the near future... it seems that the touch screen is coming of age. I hate it, but some seem to respond to it. It's awkward and clumsy in a live rig, and I'd love to see it gone.

#181282 - 07/20/03 09:49 PM Re: Keyboard Magazine Review of Tyros
Dnj Offline

Just think of it as a marketing tool.......
They'll always leave out a few goodies so you'll always want for more on the next model!!
Bottom line is making money!

#181283 - 07/21/03 08:38 AM Re: Keyboard Magazine Review of Tyros
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I am not happy with that marketing strategy. I might go the softsynth route because of this strategy. Since I need a laptop anyways to run XG Works, it will be my next purchase. If editing the organs of my PSR550 with XG Works doesn't cut it, then Native Instruments B4 will be next. I will then have to purchase a keyboard amplifier. I will just have to add a 76 note controller at that point, and will have the system that I want, and at a lower price. (I know, it won't be as portable)
Starkeeper

#181284 - 07/21/03 02:40 PM Re: Keyboard Magazine Review of Tyros
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
Well, I would be happy with a successor to the PSR2000 if it had the following:

Telephone type keypad
All nine sliders for the organ flutes
(Even better - real sliders like Baldwin organs)
A next bank button like the 9000
A bigger and better display with FULL access to the synth
Variable velocity (and touch response) on ALL the voices
Hard disk, CD, floppy, USB and To Host

Asking too much I suppose, though I'll settle for everything except the last one

Bryan

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online