SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#130749 - 07/01/03 06:57 AM Stuck In the WRONG Venue...Now What?
Dnj Offline

Ever get to a gig and find out that most of the audience is TOO Young or Too Old or maybe Just NOT the kind of audience Genre thats right for your kind of Music?
What do you do....What Do... You Do?

Versatility is the name of the game out there.
I've always geared myself for that purpose.
I'm interested in hearing your experiences and Your way of overcoming this kind of situation if it arises?

#130750 - 07/01/03 07:27 AM Re: Stuck In the WRONG Venue...Now What?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Donny...
Good one.
If it is a place or group I have never played before, I ask questions, like
What is the age group?
Do they have a particular taste in music?
Is there a theme to the party?
Are they dancers?
I know what I do. They may not. So, if I think they would be better off with someone else, I will tell them and make a recommendation if I can. In the majority of these cases, the caller is most appreciative for my honest and candid response.

If I have doubts, I also try to arrange to go to one of their functions to assess the situation. That is not a bad idea either way, because it will give you helpful info about the layout, stage (if any) and accoustics. I NEVER take a job in a restaurant or lounge without checking out the place and people.

I turn down must weddings these days, unless it is retired couple with the majority of guests in their own age group.

This is not to say I feel like a prima donna. It is just good business which assures that if hired, I can feel confident that I am right for the audience and they are right for me.

Last year I got a 3X contract at a place I never played before and the first gig was a disaster. The guy that hired me was in my face all night. He wasn't happy and neither was I. We agreed to cancel the remaining two engagements on the spot.

I have always said there are two things that can destroy a party or show:
1. Entertainers that have the wrong audience, and
2. Audiences that hire the wrong entertainment.

Those in the business for awhile benefit from the "Birds of a Feather" concept. Most prospective employers hire entertainers from a referal of someone who enjoys the same kind of music and entertainment as the one who does the referring.

Eddie

[This message has been edited by btweengigs (edited 07-01-2003).]

#130751 - 07/01/03 07:34 AM Re: Stuck In the WRONG Venue...Now What?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I've played in a big band for 30 years and we play the music of that era. One time we arrived at a wedding reception to find many young people and guys with pony tails. We thought the worst. We turned up the volume and mixed in Kansas City, Proud Mary, Joy to the World, LeRoy Brown and a few others with our normal swing stuff and it went fine. Most of the younge males these days can't dance anything but slow songs so you need to mix in plenty of them.

Because we are stuck in the big band era we make sure that the buyer of our services knows exactly what we can provide.

Now that I have an arranger I also have a trio and a solo act that can provide a more diverse library of tunes.

Tom

#130752 - 07/01/03 09:23 AM Re: Stuck In the WRONG Venue...Now What?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
As the old Boyscout motto says "Be Prepared".

#130753 - 07/01/03 09:25 AM Re: Stuck In the WRONG Venue...Now What?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Did you ever go to an outdoor party and find that everyone is "dead".......and then realize you made a mistake.....and you were in a cemetary..No, I didn't either..

#130754 - 07/01/03 09:36 AM Re: Stuck In the WRONG Venue...Now What?
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
ROFL

#130755 - 07/01/03 03:08 PM Re: Stuck In the WRONG Venue...Now What?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Fran's got sunstroke.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online