SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#136236 - 05/30/03 05:00 PM Barbetta Sona Elan SE32 a winner...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Well guys and gals, I've lightened the load, purchased a pair of Barbetta Sona Elan SE32s and the best word to describe them is "Incredible." They're lightweight (36.5 pounds), have a built-in 450 watt amp, 15-inch woofer, 4X10 horn tweeter, biamped, 4 1/4-inch line inputs, 3-band eq, high-gain mic input, effects loop, line out and balanced line out. The amp is fan cooled and the fan is so quiet you hardly know it's running.

The quality of the keyboard and vocals is outstanding, crisp, clean, clear, lots of top end, mid range and booming botton end that doesn't distort. I'm rigging a custom wiring harness tonight, and tomorrow night the rig goes on it's first job. Photos of the rig and wiring harness to follow.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#136237 - 05/30/03 06:30 PM Re: Barbetta Sona Elan SE32 a winner...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Gary: Congratulations! Sounds like you made a terrific sound quality choice going with the Sona 32C's:
http://www.barbetta.com/Live/Sona_32/sona_32.html

Looking forward to gig feedback & seeing pictures of your new setup in action. I assume you're slimming down your entire setup, including taking out hopefully just one keyboard (PSR2000?) now, right? This way you can send your vocals thru the PSR2000, and then go out directly to the Sona 32's, avoiding the need for an external mixer, to reduce your travel load even more.

Also: I'm curious, what type of carrying handle(s) are 'built in' to the Sona 32's, and how comfortable (ergonomic) it is to carry considering the speaker box is pretty square (angular) vs rounded (JBL Eons & EV SxA100s)?

Scott

#136238 - 05/30/03 07:37 PM Re: Barbetta Sona Elan SE32 a winner...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Hi Scott,

The handles are on top, but because they only weigh 36.5 pounds, this does not pose a problem. I carried them 200 feet from the end of my driveway to by office and barely broke into a sweat.

Yep, just taking one keyboard, one keyboard stand, one Digitech VR, two speaker stands, two Barbetta speakers, some cables and a mic. Until my notebook computer arrives though, I'll still have to pack the music stand and light--but both are very lightweight.

I had the most demanding individual listen to me performing Kokomo just a few minutes ago. Her response was "Wow! That sounds fantastic. Keep in mind that after 40 plus years of marriage, she has no qualms about huting my feelings or expressing her opinion.

The photos will be sometime next week when the computer is set up and the rig is completely outfitted.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#136239 - 05/31/03 07:44 AM Re: Barbetta Sona Elan SE32 a winner...
Dnj Offline

gary,

good luck with your new equipment. You made a great choice that I know you'll enjoy, and so will your back!!!!...The barbettas are wonderfull speakers. when you get all your lyrics into the laptop then you'll be on your way to experiencing "lightweight" performing Uncle Dave style!!

good luck and post some pics soon

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#136240 - 05/31/03 08:38 AM Re: Barbetta Sona Elan SE32 a winner...
TERRYC Offline

Loc: St, Petersburg. Florida. u.s.a
I echo what Donny says. I bought mine a couple of weeks ago,primarily because I had just landed a gig that involved stairs. I had been using Elite 160s and bass bins [wonderful pa speakers],and a 600 watt power amp. The Barbettas more than compensate for them.If I ever need a bigger sound because they won,t cut it,then I,ll be playing a gig big enough to warrant renting a Larger pa.SO Good luck,and enjoy.

#136241 - 05/31/03 09:07 AM Re: Barbetta Sona Elan SE32 a winner...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by TERRYC:
If I ever need a bigger sound because they won,t cut it,then I,ll be playing a gig big enough to warrant renting a Larger pa.

THAT, in a nutshell is the way to go. I do the same thing. When I do an affair that large ...... I'll deal with it then, not now. For today .... I bring the easy, lightweight stuff. It's a beautiful thing.

#136242 - 05/31/03 01:18 PM Re: Barbetta Sona Elan SE32 a winner...
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Gary,
Do you use reverb at all. If so, I guess you have to haul a mixer also?

#136243 - 05/31/03 01:39 PM Re: Barbetta Sona Elan SE32 a winner...
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by brickboo:
Do you use reverb at all. If so, I guess you have to haul a mixer also?

Nope, Gary shouldn't have to haul around a mixer because his PSR2000 ALREADY includes a 'built in' mixer & efx (including reverb) section, so he can simply run out from the PSR2000 to the Sona 32's directly. Gary's gig setup time should be a lot quicker (and easier) now. - Scott

#136244 - 05/31/03 02:54 PM Re: Barbetta Sona Elan SE32 a winner...
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
The handles are on top

Are the handles similar to the flexible rubber type strap handles used on the Roland KC300:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ROLKC300

and

Motion Sound KP-100S: http://www.music123.com/Item/?itemno=97952

I find this type of carrying strap awkward, especially compared to the style of carrying handle which is molded into the speaker itself, like on the EV SxA100 or JBL Eons. I prefer the 'built into' the speaker handles because the speaker & handle is specially designed (molded) to allow your hand to fit (all the way) around it ergonomically (comfortably). In addition, the SxA100's carrying handle is situated on the 'side' (length section) of the speaker making it even more balanced (comfortable) for carrying one speaker on each side of you.

On the other hand, with my Motion Sound KP-100S with it's rubber strap type handle positioned on top, find it considerably awkward to carry (by its strap handle) very far.

I hope PA speaker manufacterers will take JBL & EVs lead in designing more ergonomically designed carrying handles which are also integrated into the speaker cabinet itself.

Scott

#136245 - 06/01/03 07:53 AM Re: Barbetta Sona Elan SE32 a winner...
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Isn't this setup kind of costly? Music123 lists the Sona 32's at $689.00 each That's roughly $1,400.00 for a keyboard amp setup.

That's what makes the Behringer B300's so attractive. They are only $399.00 each and somewhat similar in performance, although they don't have 450 watts.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online