SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#216144 - 06/02/03 12:27 AM I auditioned some PSR2100 styles
Beakybird Offline

I was excited that someone made some PSR2100 styles available. The styles I auditioned were sent from Scandinavia. Thank you to the sender. These were styles that had names that do not appear on the PSR2000. Indeed, all are different and new from internal PSR2000 and Tyros Styles except for about four, like Children's March and Dixie Jazz (Same as Dixieland) and a Christmas style.

It's cool to have some internal styles from the PSR2100. It sounds like all of the rest of the internal PSR2100 styles have the same name as the PSR2000 internal styles. We will have to see if any of these styles are different. I would hope that some of the PSR2000 styles that are repeats of the PSR740 have been remade and are different - like Hully Gully, 8 Beat Adria, Rock 'n Roll, Gypsy Swing, etc.

The styles sound good in the PSR2000. It was only necessary to make two revoices: XG Piano to Grand Piano and Synth Brass to Brass Section. I'm sure that most of these styles sound better in the PSR2100.

Many of the styles are for styles of music that I will probably never touch, unfortunately. There were a few classical styles including a classical waltz that seemed idiosyncratic - like they were made for just one song and I don't know the name of the song. The Schlager styles sounded good.

If this is all that the PSR2100 has over the PSR2000 style-wise, then I am definitely disappointed. Disappointments of this new model include:

1. Very few new styles,
2. Very little extra internal USER memory
3. No hard drive or smart media capability
4. No extra buttons - like individual buttons for intros and endings
5. Very slow USB

I hope that I am proven wrong on the styles - maybe there are a lot of styles that are complete remakes, but I doubt it.

Beakybird

[This message has been edited by Beakybird (edited 06-02-2003).]

#216145 - 06/02/03 05:45 AM Re: I auditioned some PSR2100 styles
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
What's with all the repettittittittivenes?

#216146 - 06/02/03 07:00 AM Re: I auditioned some PSR2100 styles
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Hay Unk, thats maybe how you get into that Dance music stuff!

Grandpa Doug

#216147 - 06/02/03 07:13 AM Re: I auditioned some PSR2100 styles
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
He wants to get his point across UD.

I agree with Beakybird in that there should have been greater User Memory, more Styles, Smart Media would have been a nice inclusion, and I wish they would have provided the Intro/Ending buttons of the Tyros also.

Although even though the USB transfer rate is slooowwwwww, were only talking 1.5Mb here. If the User Memory area was totally empty and you wanted to fill it up in one sitting, ie., (0% to 100%), it would probably just take 2 or 3 minutes at the most I would think.

I think this will be a great Arranger for the person that has an older PSR/other Brand and wants to upgrade or for the person who is without an Arranger at the moment and wants a good sounding, relatively inexpensive, bang for the buck Keyboard.

But for the person who has a PSR 2000 already, I for one will not get the PSR 2100 just because were comparing apples to apples here instead of apples to oranges. In other words, the difference/benefit is not that substantial imo. There is no great improvement over the PSR 2000 that I can see to justify an upgrade. To each his own though. I think Joe Waters is getting one and several others are too from what I've gathered that presently own the PSR 2000.

Best regards,
Mike

#216148 - 06/02/03 04:12 PM Re: I auditioned some PSR2100 styles
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Having my own set of PSR2100 styles for my PSR2000 I am very happy to keep playing the PSR2000. I'm not gonna pay $400 more just to get a few more new voices. I'm sure those new voices are excellent..........but my PSR2000's voices are excellent too. Maybe the love affair will fade in another 2 years when Yamaha comes out with a totally new type technology keyboard. Someone at this forum said that the PSR2100 should have been just a firmware upgrade to the PSR2000.........NOT being made to buy a whole new board! I'm beginning to agree.............beside's...........I still have THOUSANDS of styles to audition and convert for my 2000! Better get busy..........

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online