SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#151645 - 05/17/03 09:22 PM I think Motion Sound KP-100S is a winner too
Beakybird Offline

Ever since I replaced the stock Eminence Alpha 8" speakers with slightly heavier Eminence speakers that get better bass, I have been very happy with the bass response I'm getting out of these speakers.

The amp is rather heavy now - 42lbs. - for a 100 watt amp, but it sounds great, and I'm getting very good responses from my shows. Definitely a keeper.

Larry LeCover made a good cover for this amp, and he tailored it to my needs - like putting a strap accross the front so that I can loop it onto my luggage carrier more easily.

Beakybird

#151646 - 05/19/03 11:01 AM Re: I think Motion Sound KP-100S is a winner too
danb Offline

Can we buy one with heavier speaker already? Instead of just replacing it. That way I'll save some cash for the cover.

Dan

#151647 - 05/19/03 11:07 AM Re: I think Motion Sound KP-100S is a winner too
Beakybird Offline

Of course not. If you want to soup up any amp with heavier duty speakers, you have to pay for it yourself. Of course, you can sell the Eminence Alphas after you take them out.

Beakybird

#151648 - 05/20/03 05:05 PM Re: I think Motion Sound KP-100S is a winner too
Beakybird Offline

I went to a job at a seniors club with my PSR2000 and my Motion Sound KP100S. When I arrived at the room, I said, "Uh oh." The room was huge, and there were 160 seniors there. I was concerned that my 8 inch speakers would not deliver. I was thinking of buying a subwoofer for jobs in bigger rooms where I want to beef up my sound, but I never got around to it.

I plugged the amp into the RCA outputs of the PSR2000 so that I could turn up the volume without worrying about blowing the PSR2000's internal speakers. I brought the volume up on my KP100S to 8 out of 10.

The job went fantastic! No one complained about lack of volume. I keep my vocals up front, and there was some occasional distortion on my vocals, but not enough to mar the overall impression of the sound. The bass was very solid and up front. I'm very glad I changed the speakers.

You can say that I just eked out a victory with my KP-100S amp. Any bigger of a room, and I might have been in trouble.

Seven seniors asked for my business card after the program, so that's a sign that things went well.

Beakybird

#151649 - 05/23/03 07:41 AM Re: I think Motion Sound KP-100S is a winner too
Beakybird Offline

I played at a nursing home yesterday that has a gymnasium-like cafetaria. Very large room. Not as big as a high school gymnasium, but huge. Well, this activity director likes loud volume. Every time I play there (every two months) he always asks me to turn up several times, even though the residents don't request it. On the other hand, the residents have never complained. The last time I was there with my JBL Eon10 G2, I remember turning it up quite loud.

Yesterday, I had the volume up at 7 at the beginning. As soon as I began, he asked me to turn it up. I brought it up to 8. At 8, the KP100S starts to sound a bit harsh but it still sounds very good. Towards the end of the show, I was doing some old time rock n roll, and he asked me to turn it up again. I brought it to 9. Getting a little overload. A few minutes later, he asked me to turn it up more. I cranked it to the max - 10. It was very loud. The sound got very harsh at the peaks. No one in the audience seemed to mind, but I wasn't satisfied. The show went great, and everyone was happy but me. The Activity director hired me again for July.

My impression is that the speakers can handle the volume but the amp starts to distort towards peak volume. I sure wish this amp had a little more wattage.

Could the addition of a subwoofer give the overall impression of more volume without sounding too bassy? Is there any solution besides buying a new bigger amp to compliment this one?

Beakybird

#151650 - 05/23/03 08:21 AM Re: I think Motion Sound KP-100S is a winner too
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Why not just add your EON G2's to the KP-100s? It's easy enough - just connect the lo-z outputs.

#151651 - 05/24/03 04:35 AM Re: I think Motion Sound KP-100S is a winner too
Beakybird Offline

I had only one Eon10 G2, and I sold it. I wish I hadn't, but I needed the money after purchasing the KP100S. The KP100S has only one Low Z output via 1/4" or XLR.

I don't know. I've had the KP100S for over a month, and I everyone's been happy with it, but I've had two jobs that have demanded enough volume to start compromising the high fidelity. I'll see if a subwoofer helps, otherwise, I'll have to buy another powered speaker.

I was thinking of trying out the Cerwyn Vega LW-10 http://www.google.com/search?q=cerwin+vega+lw-10&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&start=20&sa=N. It's a 100 watt subwoofer. If I used it, I could turn down the bass (and thus the volume) on my KP100S. This might be helpful for the jobs where I walk in, and I say uh oh, this room is big. I have a few outdoor parties scheduled, just three, and for these I have charged enough that I can afford to rent something.

Beakybird

#151652 - 05/24/03 05:48 AM Re: I think Motion Sound KP-100S is a winner too
Dnj Offline

Cervin Vega Sub too?...That would mean... Carrying "MORE" heavy stuff around which in turn defeats the purpose of travlin light without sacraficing a nice fully robust all in one sound source.

#151653 - 05/24/03 09:13 AM Re: I think Motion Sound KP-100S is a winner too
Beakybird Offline

That's not true, DNJ. That means keeping the subwoofer in the trunk of my car for the 10% of the time that I would use it. As I stated, in over a month of gigging, there have only been two gigs where I regretted not having a little more power. At both of those gigs, however, the audience was fully satisfied.

Beakybird

#151654 - 05/24/03 09:18 AM Re: I think Motion Sound KP-100S is a winner too
Dnj Offline

ok Beakybird I stand corrected,
I thought you used the Sub every day...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online