SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#199517 - 04/28/03 03:20 PM Cable Advice Needed: Running Stereo from Keyboard to Motion Sound KP Amp
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
When going out stereo from my Yamaha Tyros to Motion Sound KP-100S, instead of running 2 'separate' mono audio cables from the keyboard to the KP-100S, I'd like to instead, utilize a 'single' 10-12 ft long stereo cable, but one which has 2 'gold end' 1/4" mono plugs (stereo L/R) at each end of the cable. Does 'Monster Cable' or any other cable manufacter make something like this?

Thanks in advance for stereo cable recommendations.

Scott

#199518 - 04/28/03 04:26 PM Re: Cable Advice Needed: Running Stereo from Keyboard to Motion Sound KP Amp
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott--Most music stores don't carry cables with that configuration, however, you will likely find exactly what you're looking for at Radio Shack. They carry more crazy cable combinations and adapters than any place I've looked. Of course, you could always make it yourself--it's not that difficult, and again, you can purchase the component parts at Radio Shack, including the sheilded cable.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#199519 - 04/28/03 04:42 PM Re: Cable Advice Needed: Running Stereo from Keyboard to Motion Sound KP Amp
Scottyee Offline

Hi Gary, Thanks for the Radio Shack suggestion.

I know that Hosa makes the type of dual (stereo) audio cable with 2 (L/R) 1/4" unbalanced plugs at each end, but I was hoping there might be a pre-made higher quality one available from Monster Cable or another high end cable manufacter.

oh well

Scott

#199520 - 04/28/03 06:58 PM Re: Cable Advice Needed: Running Stereo from Keyboard to Motion Sound KP Amp
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Scott ,

I may be able to help you with this . I'll email you ! Dan

#199521 - 04/28/03 07:42 PM Re: Cable Advice Needed: Running Stereo from Keyboard to Motion Sound KP Amp
Dnj Offline

Scott,

They will make you any cable you want I have used them a few times myself.
http://www.gigcables.com/

#199522 - 04/29/03 06:16 AM Re: Cable Advice Needed: Running Stereo from Keyboard to Motion Sound KP Amp
Beakybird Offline

That's a good idea, Scott. As the 1/4" inputs on the KP-100S and the Tyros (as well as the PSR2000) are right next to eachother, it would make sense to have dual cables so that you can save on time plugging them in. Since I already ordered two Monster cables, I am going to stick them together with duck tape or by some other means for easy plug ins. Good luck,

Beakybird

#199523 - 04/29/03 10:57 AM Re: Cable Advice Needed: Running Stereo from Keyboard to Motion Sound KP Amp
Scottyee Offline

Donny: Many thanks for providing the link. It appears that Gigcables.com's 'multi-channel speaker snake' (2 channel version) with 1/4" connectors: model #SPK2-20'at $69 is cable stlye configuration needed:
http://www.gigcables.com/CNspeakersnakes.html

I called 'gigcables.com' and they also offer a shorter 10 foot version as well (more suitable for going from Tyros to KP-100S).

I was considering getting the cable with 'gold end' 1/4" plugs, and though gigcable.com offers that as an option, the sales guy advised me that this would offer no real advantage unless the Tyros & KP-100S input jacks were 'gold plated' as well. I believe both the Tyros or KP100S do NOT include gold plated jacks.

I had thought though, that the purpose of gold plated connectors was, in addition to offering better connectivity, that it also prevents the connector from getting corroded over time.

I'm interested to hear other people's recommendations on this. Should I go for 'the gold' or not?

Thanks. - Scott

#199524 - 04/29/03 11:13 AM Re: Cable Advice Needed: Running Stereo from Keyboard to Motion Sound KP Amp
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Hello Scott,
This is my solution.
I use the two monocables but have them taped together.
A piece of blacktape with an interval of 30cm

The tape holds already +4 years now.

I think it was approx $1,-- for the tape.

#199525 - 04/29/03 11:15 AM Re: Cable Advice Needed: Running Stereo from Keyboard to Motion Sound KP Amp
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Go for the Gold Scotty! You are very right, gold connectors do not corrode over time so even though the Tyros's outputs will if they do not have gold plating where necessary, your cables will still be top notch when you purchase your next Keyboard, and the next one, and the next one. Unless of course you accidentally destroy the actual cable somehow. Get my point? Don't penny pinch when it comes to your cables. Gold connectors usually come at a higher price but they are well worth it.

Best regards,
Mike

#199526 - 04/29/03 11:29 AM Re: Cable Advice Needed: Running Stereo from Keyboard to Motion Sound KP Amp
Dnj Offline

Scott,

I have never had a problem with my custon made GigCables. For a few bucks more go for the Gold, you'll have them a long time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online