SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#186208 - 04/18/03 08:07 AM advice in buying new keyboard ??
Alain Offline

Loc: De Panne , Belgium
Hello,

I sold three months agoo my technics kn7000...not that I didn't like the keyboard but because I don't have much time to play it. I found it a waste off money...but now I don't have a keyboard anymore..it doesn't feel good.
I want to buy another keyboard...but what should I buy...I realy don't know. Should I spent much money or not...since I wil only play it when I have some spare time.
Please advice me...what do you think.
I always had good keyboards :
technics kn6000,kn6500,7000, Yamaha psr2000,9000,9000pro, Ketron Sd1.

Thanks,
Alain

#186209 - 04/18/03 08:12 AM Re: advice in buying new keyboard ??
Dnj Offline

Buy a good used one for half the price.
For example..........
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2524000459&category=29552

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 04-18-2003).]

#186210 - 04/18/03 08:21 AM Re: advice in buying new keyboard ??
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I agree with Dnj, find a good used model of a model you used to own.. I totally understand where you're coming from too.. I had gotten rid of several keyboards, not because they weren't good, but because I had spent so much money on them and here were these nice expensive keyboards not getting much use. Now that I have time to play again I regret selling them though..

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#186211 - 04/18/03 10:46 AM Re: advice in buying new keyboard ??
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Buy a good used one for half the price.
For example..........
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2524000459&category=29552

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 04-18-2003).]

There are also 2 each KN6500 for sale this morning on EBAY. 1995 and 1795 USD.
Bebop

#186212 - 04/18/03 04:15 PM Re: advice in buying new keyboard ??
pianoman35 Offline

You should get a Tyros. Sure its alot of money, but it will be worth it.

#186213 - 04/18/03 05:10 PM Re: advice in buying new keyboard ??
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Alain,

Only you can really determine what the best keyboard is for you. We can help a little, maybe even more than that if you tell us how you intend to use it. Do you need styles at all or do you just want to play keys w/o accompaniment ? If the latter is true, The Yamaha Motif 6 and Korg Triton LE both cost less than a top end arranger and are great boards to play. The original Fantom has 76 keys and while it might be a 3rd choice vs the other two for me, some users swear by it..

If you do need the autoaccomp, you already know the arranger boards out there. High end include the Tyros, SD1, PA80, KN7000 and VA76. Mid range include PSR2k, PA60, XD9 and a new offering from Technics ( KN 2600 or something. ) . All of the current arrangers seem to be very good boards and depending on what you want to do each has it's strong points..

You need to get to the music shop and demo as many as you can, because no matter what anyone tells you about the sounds, styles, or features, they are always subjective to our own tastes and needs.

Whether or not to spend the big bucks.. well there are a few ways to look at it.. For me.. if I have the money available and the equipment meets my needs ( especially in a way that other equipment may not ), than it is always worth the cost. On the other hand, if it's something that I won't rely on every day, used might be a good route. The Tyros is the latest and greatest.. 2 years ( or less ) from now it will be old news. Older boards, used boards ?... excellent choice if ya wanna save some bucks, because really, while the latest and greatest may offer a few improvements, .. ya can still rock on a PSR9000, a G1000, etc etc ..

AJ

#186214 - 04/19/03 03:51 AM Re: advice in buying new keyboard ??
Jos Maas Offline

Loc: Hantum, The Netherlands
Alain,

I have a no-budget, a low-budget and a medium-budget solution.

No-budget: Download OneManBand and play the 5 free styles on your PC keyboard thru the onboard soundcard. (Does't take any space either)

Low-budget: Get a second hand keyboard with midi out and a soundblaster and register OMB so you can play a million Yamaha styles.

Medium-budget: Get a good 88-key MIDI controller and a Yamaha SW1000XG soundcard and with OMB you will have an arranger setup that is unrivalled.
http://www.home.zonnet.nl/josmaas/onemanband

JM

#186215 - 04/19/03 04:48 AM Re: advice in buying new keyboard ??
puzk Offline

Alain,

It seems that you have had the best gear arranger keyboards you can get (SD1, 9000Pro, KN7000).

Like me you'd probably want to buy some new revolutionary gear that would change the way you make music. Thing is, you'll never be 100% satisfied or happy with just one keyboard. Well... same goes with someone who has 2 keyboards, and the person who has 3 KB's and so on...

I guess gear fetish is costing us lots of money, but some of us (like me) see that it's all worth it to have the best technology has to offer.

#186216 - 04/19/03 05:32 AM Re: advice in buying new keyboard ??
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Puzk,
You're right about the gear fetish thing.. I remember when I was in college and had 3 keyboards in my dorm room.. I still wanted more too. Each one of my keyboards had its own purpose, yet I still couldn't get enough.. I was always looking for more keyboards. My fiance at the time was ready to kill me because I had so many... Now I'm married, my wife and daughter own everything, and I have (one) keyboard.. Can't really complain anymore though.. I also have a new guitar, Zoom MRS-4, Zoom MRT-3,new headphones, and a few other things.. No just need to get a better mic......
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#186217 - 04/19/03 06:41 AM Re: advice in buying new keyboard ??
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Alain,
just one dumb question: you write that you sold your Technics because you hadn't enough time to play it. So, why on earth do you think that you need now another keyboard? I don't mean to be overcritical or sarcastic: I am just trying to help you determine if what you really need is a new keyboard. You know, sometimes it's easier to blame an object for our dissatisfaction, which really has something to do with what lies inside us...
I mean, you have had the best arranger keyboards on the market and you sold all of them!
I don't know what is your skill level as a player; me, I consider myself a less than average player, but at least now I know that when I am not satisfied with a keyboard the culprit is not the keyboard: it's me! So, instead of buying another keyboard, now I try to improve my playing skills, for example learning a new song, especially one I consider difficult...and guess what? All of a sudden my old keyboard works just fine!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online