SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#203306 - 03/29/03 07:50 PM SD-1 Video Out
Bob Wheeler Offline

Loc: Overland Park, Kansas USA
I recently purchased a big screen TV and sound system. It's in my basement adjacent to my SD-1 and speakers.

Since the TV was installed, there has been a loud buzzing noise in my SD-1 speakers. I've isolated the source and it's a result of my video out on my SD-1 into the new TV. The SD-1 video out cable is connected to an RF modulator and the coaxial cable from the RF modulator is hooked into the coaxial antenna input in the TV. This worked fine on my old TV with no static. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

#203307 - 03/30/03 09:34 AM Re: SD-1 Video Out
MonSound Offline

Loc: Norway
I could be very wrong about this, as I dont't know how your TV's are equipped over there, but I don't think the difference is that far from here in Europe.

I don't think you need the RF-modulator on your new TV. As far as I know, every new TV has inputs where you can connect your SD-1 directly. The picture quality will also be a lot better than if you are using the RF-modulator.

I don't know what the inputs look like on your American TV's, but here in Europe it's usually a set of three contacts like the one you have on a stereo. They are usually coloured white (or black), red and yellow. The white (or black) and red are for sound, and the yellow for picture. You should be able to connect the SD-1 directly to the yellow one. Chose the right input on your remote, and it should work.

#203308 - 03/30/03 07:42 PM Re: SD-1 Video Out
Bob Wheeler Offline

Monsound,

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, we have the same inputs on the TV. Unfortunately, I get the same loud buzzing when I bypass the RF modulator.

Bob

#203309 - 03/30/03 08:57 PM Re: SD-1 Video Out
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Wheeler:
I recently purchased a big screen TV and sound system. It's in my basement adjacent to my SD-1 and speakers.

Since the TV was installed, there has been a loud buzzing noise in my SD-1 speakers. I've isolated the source and it's a result of my video out on my SD-1 into the new TV. The SD-1 video out cable is connected to an RF modulator and the coaxial cable from the RF modulator is hooked into the coaxial antenna input in the TV. This worked fine on my old TV with no static. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

When you say your SD1 speakers , could you be more specific ?

What settings do you have set up under the utilities menu ?

What about grounding ?

You wouldn't happen to have everything plugged into the same power strip ?

Dano

#203310 - 03/30/03 09:17 PM Re: SD-1 Video Out
Gord Offline

Loc: Kelowna,British Columbia,Canad...
-Can't you just connect Video out from the SD1 to Video in of the 'New' Tv. Perhaps you could 'borrow' another Tv and try it out. Your problem may also be some kind of a 'ground loop'. You may have to try an isolating AC volt line transformer-or perhaps some sort of filtering.

[This message has been edited by Gord (edited 03-30-2003).]

#203311 - 03/30/03 11:24 PM Re: SD-1 Video Out
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Bob, if you haven't figured it out yet you might try this; If the new TV has a 3 prong power cord that connects to your wall outlet, etc., you might try "Ground Lifting" the TV power cord. You can get a ground lift adapter at Radio Shack, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc for around 50 cents. Plug the adapter (female 3 hole to male 2 prong) into the wall outlet then plug the power cord on the TV into the ground lift adapter. Then try the Video Out on your SD-1 to the TV to see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't help try reversing the order, in other words put the ground lift adapter into the wall socket, power strip, etc., that you put the SD-1 Power Cord into. Plug the SD-1 power cord into the ground lift adapter, then try the Video Out to your TV again to see if it helps.

PS: Most TV's have just 2 prong AC power cords so if yours has just 2 prongs just try the last suggestion and gound lift the SD-1 power cord to see if it makes a difference. (I am assuming that the SD-1 Power cord has a 3 prong connector). If it doesn't then all this is mute and the problem lies elsewhere.

Best regards,
Mike

#203312 - 04/01/03 05:27 PM Re: SD-1 Video Out
Bob Wheeler Offline

Mike - Dan O - Gord,
Thank you for your replies. Unfortunately, I have a bigger problem now. I've had the SD-1 since last Fall and have had no problems with it. A couple of days ago, in the middle of playing, the keyboard froze for the first time. I started it up again and I heard a strange noise (from the hard drive?) and it died. Now when I turn it on nothing comes up on the LCD display...except it is fainly lit...and there is no sound. Ironically, I'm in LA and I purchased the keyboard from George Kaye. Unfortunately, I'm here on business and don't have time to stop in at his store. (If you're listening George, I'll be calling you soon!)

I love the SD-1 and hope I don't have to send it to New York to get repaired. Wish me luck.

Bob

PS - It didn't have anything to do with the video out since it was not connected.

#203313 - 04/01/03 09:28 PM Re: SD-1 Video Out
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Bob,
If you are in LA with your keybaord and can get it to me, I can have it looked at immediately by my repair shop. If not and you return home, I can have Lou in New York fix and return it to you in just a day or two. Let me know what you would like to do.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#203314 - 04/01/03 09:35 PM Re: SD-1 Video Out
Bob Wheeler Offline

George,
I'm in LA but without my keyboard. I wish that I could stop in to meet you and see the store...but I don't have enough time on this trip.

I will be traveling for the next week and will give you a call when I get back home to KC.

I have no doubt that you and Lou will take good care of me as you have in the past.

Bob

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online