SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#111082 - 03/18/03 05:24 PM Mackie in trouble
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I read in a trade magazine today at the local dealer that Mackie is in trouble and Sun (sombody) is buying 65% of the company for $10,000,000. The founder and the manager are history.

Now I'm worried about buying a Mackie. Is there any end to this madness?

#111083 - 03/18/03 05:54 PM Re: Mackie in trouble
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Too bad. I thought Mackie was on solid financial ground. Not so it seems. Their products are of good quality and they have respectable prices also. Hopefully after the buyout those things won't change.

Best regards,
Mike

#111084 - 03/18/03 06:28 PM Re: Mackie in trouble
Bill E Offline

Loc: nashville
They have sustained huge losses the last two years. The brand will survive ,but they will never again be the same company.
It appears that the future of ALL manufacturing is now in China.

#111085 - 03/18/03 08:58 PM Re: Mackie in trouble
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I've been a Mackie dealer for many years but over the past year I've switched almost completely over to Behringer for the low priced mixers, amps, mics, headphones and powered monitors. Their quality and prices are hard to beat. All Behringer products are designed in Germany and built in their own factory in China. I walked through their booth at NAMM and just couldn't resist buying almost everything they make. They are now up to 227 products. I'm sure this has hurt Mackie over the past several years.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, california
(Retired 2021)

#111086 - 03/18/03 09:03 PM Re: Mackie in trouble
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I understand that Behringer "reverse engineered" most everything Mackie makes.
Greg Mackie is an electronic genius and I think this is the third or fourth company he started, built up and then lost. It's too bad, I liked the way they did business.
On the other hand, the Behringer gear I've bought is MUCH less expensive and has proven to be very good.
DonM

#111087 - 03/19/03 02:37 AM Re: Mackie in trouble
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Just bought a Behringer 2642 for 190 pounds sterling. I don't know how they do it for this price. Clean as a whistle. Metal chassis. Smoooooth controls. Bargain!

#111088 - 03/19/03 03:38 AM Re: Mackie in trouble
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by brickboo:
(sombody)is buying 65% of the company for $10,000,000.

That sounds like the company is still pretty valuable to "SOMEBODY". I still love the quality and performance of the products I own, and I think the features are very well organized and laid out.The stuff makes sense.

If you're worried, Boo .... stick with a proven winner that you are already familiar with, and buy a Peavey powered mixer. You can get a stereo mixer/amp with all the perks that Makie offers for a little less $$$ and still have a great sounding, great looking, ROADWORTHY product.

After all the stuff I've used over the years, I still can't knock the performance or prices or Peavey gear. It's the most reliable stuff I ever owned.

#111089 - 03/19/03 05:14 AM Re: Mackie in trouble
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
I like Mackie products. Mackie name always imply to me moderately priced quality gear. Some of their products are very very good and with excellent reputation. For example, DP8 and the DSP card for the daw.

#111090 - 03/19/03 04:59 PM Re: Mackie in trouble
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Gotta' agree with U.D.--I've been using Peavey for the past 15 years, never had a minute of trouble, they're barroom tested tough and they seem to last forever. They're priced well, the sound is excellent, and if there's every a problem, they answer the phone personally and come up with a solution.

Stick with a proven winner and you won't be sorry.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#111091 - 03/20/03 08:00 AM Re: Mackie in trouble
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Boo, does that sound like something I've been telling you? Peavey is reliable and economical.
DonM

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online