SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#93810 - 03/04/03 11:14 PM Generalmusic "genesys" Video
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
I have been asked by some people reading these message boards for information on the genesys keyboard. You know what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words....How much is a video worth??? To view the genesys Video go to: http://generalmusic.us/Homekeyboards/genesys.htm

There is a video for both people on dial-up and for those lucky enough to have High-Speed internet. There are also some other goodies you can check out as well. Enjoy!

#93811 - 03/05/03 04:55 AM Re: Generalmusic "genesys" Video
Luis.Santos Offline

Loc: Portugal
It seems that Genesys is a great machine!

Luis Santos

#93812 - 03/05/03 05:38 AM Re: Generalmusic "genesys" Video
trtjazz Offline

This is a very cool board and I'd love to have one.....BUT at $5200.00 a copy on a factory direct deal, that's too rich even for my gear lust budget.

A couple of my concerns about it are:
1. 64 note polyphony
2. 2 gig h/d that's not alot for wav files.
3. They did not mention a vocal harmonizer either, or did I miss it.

I would hope the board works better than their internet connection does on DSL.
------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 03-05-2003).]

#93813 - 03/05/03 07:01 AM Re: Generalmusic "genesys" Video
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Vocal harmonizer is there. I hope it is an improved one over WK/SK series

#93814 - 03/05/03 07:18 AM Re: Generalmusic "genesys" Video
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Hello Paul.

Tks for sharing.

Terry;I downloaded the video without problems in just 27 minutes.

Chico

#93815 - 03/05/03 10:10 AM Re: Generalmusic "genesys" Video
PaulD Offline

Quote:

A couple of my concerns about it are:
1. 64 note polyphony

First off, that is 64 real notes of polyphony... You can really play 64 notes at one time. Secondly, when recording which is the only way to really out play the polyphony of this instrument, you can record to the hard drive freeing up all the polyphony. I personally haven't had a problem with a single note dropping out.

Quote:

2. 2 gig h/d that's not alot for wav files.

The instrument was designed to have enough for burning an entire Audio CD and still have plenty left over for other functions and storage. Remember there is a built in CD burner that will allow you to archive the stuff you aren't using.
Quote:

3. They did not mention a vocal harmonizer either, or did I miss it.

There is onboard effects, as well as a vocoder and 4 part vocal harmonizer (editable).
Quote:

I would hope the board works better than their internet connection does on DSL.

Generalmusic.US is in testing currently, and you actually got to see it before the roll out. I merely wanted to show those that were interested in the genesys the video. That being said, that server is on an OC-3 connection to the backbone. Furthermore the site is hosted on a pretty beefy server, to allow sustained high levels of traffic. If you were having troubles with connection speed, I would like to know what your ping rate was, as well as a site like google. Also the route the ping took. This would be most helpful. Sincerely Paul Davis

#93816 - 03/05/03 11:07 AM Re: Generalmusic "genesys" Video
trtjazz Offline

Paul
Well, let's see here. I'm not cappin' on the Genesys, in fact I like the board quite a bit and was the only other board in contention when I bought my Tyros instead.

H/D
2 gig hard drive is still not alot with wav files easily being 50/60mgs each. And if the o/s is taking up some of that 2 gigs as well. Add some wav samples and pretty soon there's nothing left. My hard disk recorder has a 12 gig drive on it. Archiving things to cd would not be very convienient I don't think, but a 10 gig drive would.

64 note polyphony
With lush strings and and other large polyphony eating voices, not to mention sustain pedal, effects etc., one can run out and get note drop out. 128 note is fairly common now and at over $5k for the board I think it should have 128.

as far as my ping rate and all that to the connection.....
I guess I should feel lucky compared to Chico with a 27 minute d/l. My connection just had to keep stopping to refill the buffer.

"I would like to know what your ping rate was, as well as a site like google. Also the route the ping took."
You're joking right?
I didn't pay a bit of attention to any of the above. All I was saying is that normally I can click on anything and it just plays. This connection just kept stopping and rebuffering.

Sorry if you got bunched up over my comments, as I said, I really like the board except for I think it's too expensive especially considering what I think are valid concerns.

------------------
jam on,

#93817 - 03/05/03 12:25 PM Re: Generalmusic "genesys" Video
PaulD Offline

Unfortunately there isn't a standard to counting polyphony... Do you ever wonder why some manufactures state 64,128, 256(max) polyphony? This is because how some samples play back handle polyphony different. You could play one not and play as much as 8 notes of polyphony (traditionally polyphony was counted) with some manufactured instruments. I remember when an instrument stated it could play 32 notes of polyphony, you could actually play 32 notes at one time, on any sound. Now with some manufactures when they state numbers like 256 notes, you can't just choose any sound and play simultaneously 256 notes. So, point being, the genesys can play 64 notes all at one time. If you are recording, as I said save to hard drive and free up all the polyphony and continue on.

As far as Wav files, save them as MP3's and save the room. I look at the 2 gig limit as a way to force you to backup your work... Sure bigger is always better, but more cost $$$

Force of habit for me, if the connection seems slow, I check the ping rate. I wasn't suggesting that you needed to do anything.. Was more wanting that information for testing and improving the site.... Bare in mind, that the site isn't truly ready.
Quote:

Sorry if you got bunched up over my comments

Not at all, I know the genesys isn't for everyone, Those that own them, love them, and wouldn't trade them for the world. I am happy that you are enjoying your Instrument, and even considered the genesys. There isn't one instrument out there that is right for everyone. Knowing me, if there were, I would buy something else just so I'd be different.

Price: Lets compare, Tyro's at Musician's Friend. $3000
Hard Disk Recorder and Burner $900
MP3 Player $200
Sample Player to Play Professional Sample Sounds like Akai, Kurzweil, AIFF, Wav $1000.00
Tune 1000 Library $100.00
Vocal Remover $100.00
Now I don't want to get into the plus and minus of every keyboard and values of each, I merely wanted to show, with all the extras on the instrument the price isn't that far off. I bet if you go to a local dealer that has bought a genesys on special, the dealer could make you a deal. I personally wouldn't trade my genesys for anything (until the 88 note version )

#93818 - 03/06/03 03:32 AM Re: Generalmusic "genesys" Video
ziggy Offline

Loc: Malta
Just for the record, cause from the start it seemed that since Gem is not very well known in the US there was a lot of silly quots about it so I decided not to participate in any discussion about Genesys, sorry no hard feeling but that is how I felt perhaps I am wrong, but for the record so you'll know, you can upgrade the hard disk up to 10 GIGS. I suggest that you'll see that VIDEO cause it wil give you just a small idea of the keyboard.

#93819 - 03/06/03 07:11 AM Re: Generalmusic "genesys" Video
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ziggy:
Just for the record, cause from the start it seemed that since Gem is not very well known in the US there was a lot of silly quots about it so I decided not to participate in any discussion about Genesys, sorry no hard feeling but that is how I felt perhaps I am wrong, but for the record so you'll know, you can upgrade the hard disk up to 10 GIGS. I suggest that you'll see that VIDEO cause it wil give you just a small idea of the keyboard.

Ziggy,
You're right the Genesys nor Gem is well known here in the US. Rather than silly q's though, I believe at least I am, trying to learn about it....such as the h/d is upgradeable to 10g.

As I said earlier I think this is an excellent board and was my 2nd choice, mainly due to 2 things price and availability. The features are outstanding, however that needs to be tempered with assuming someone needs them. Most everything that comes on the Genesys I already have in one form or another, so the value is hard for me to justify as I would just be duplicating my existing set up and so I have to look at the value from just the keyboard point of view.

------------------
jam on,

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online