SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#90455 - 02/23/03 01:52 AM Problems with TYROS
Micco Offline

Loc: Finland
Is it true that you can not even save the fingering mode on the registeration memory of the TYROS? On the PSR9000 it was possible.

I can not load OS updates on it (I donīt know if it is possible with the VirtualPC). The software is full of bugs and some of them are not even translated to Mac.

The memory structure os the TYROS is strange. I can not even save all my midi settings.

The manual is very poor.

Right now I feel that it was a big mistake to buy this keyboard. If things are not going to get better I will sell it and I will buy the Solton SD1.

Micco

#90456 - 02/23/03 02:24 AM Re: Problems with TYROS
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Micco:
Is it true that you can not even save the fingering mode on the registeration memory of the TYROS? On the PSR9000 it was possible.

I can not load OS updates on it (I donīt know if it is possible with the VirtualPC). The software is full of bugs and some of them are not even translated to Mac.

The memory structure os the TYROS is strange. I can not even save all my midi settings.

The manual is very poor.

Right now I feel that it was a big mistake to buy this keyboard. If things are not going to get better I will sell it and I will buy the Solton SD1.

Micco

Micco,
There does seem to be a problem with the fingering mode, although I have not run into the procedure that makes it happen myself.

About the Mac interface problem I can't help you with.

Not sure what you mean exactly about the memory being strange. I have "my midi" setups that I use and they are all there as I have set them up.

I actually find Yamaha's manuals the best and easiest to understand of any of my gear's manuals for me.

It may in fact have been a mistake from what you have posted so far to buy the Tyros for yourself. It has not sounded like a good match for you and your needs.

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#90457 - 02/23/03 08:50 AM Re: Problems with TYROS
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Is it true that you can not even save the fingering mode on the registeration memory of the TYROS?

NO, this is not true. On the Tyros (all OS versions), I'm able to save the 'fingering mode' into reg memory.

Quote:

Micco. I can fully understand your frustration, but for better or worse, this is a PC Windows dominated (95% market) world. Being a longtime die hard Mac devotee myself, I finally had to jump ship & switch to PC-Windows about 2 years ago because of the same type of PC/Mac OS compatibility frustrations. Believe it or not, my PC is a LOT more stable & compatible with hardware & 3rd party periperals than my Mac ever was. I'm really GLAD now that I switched from Mac to PC.

Quote:

Which midi settings are you specifically referring to?

Quote:

The manual is very poor.

I agree with Terry in that I think the Tyros manual is better than most of the other keyboard manuals out there.

Scott

#90458 - 02/24/03 12:50 PM Re: Problems with TYROS
Micco Offline

Personaly I would never ever buy a PC. Not even because of the TYROS and if I can not do the same things with Mac on the TYROS what I can do with PC, then I donīt care.

For me Mac is much more user friendly and stable than a PC. The only advantist what PC had over Mac is that there is much more games for PC than Mac. But I donīt play games much at all. Of course we all have our own opinions.

When I said about the TYROS manual been poor, I meen the manual translated to finish. The translation is so poor that you donīt understand much of anything. There are also many many typing errors in the finish manual. The english manual is fine, I agree with that. But I speak much better finish than english.

I found out that on the TYROS you can save MIDI settings in two places. You can save something on the MIDI window and something on the UTILITY window. What is the difference between those two?

Yamaha has changed many things on the TYROS. It is not just an update compared to the PSR9000. It is a completly new keyboard. I have got used to the PSR9000 so switching to TYROS is a big step for me. At the moment I feel much better than two days ago. The beginning is always difficult.

Now I also found out that there is no fingered pro mode on the TYROS. I would really like to have that. Maybe in the future it will be on a OS update. That is why the possibility to install updates on the TYROS is so important to me. At the moment I donīt much care about the update, but in the future there will be bigger update and then I would really like to have them on my keyboard. I am still asking: IS IT POSSIBLE TO DO THE OS UPDATE TO TYROS WITH VIRTUALPC? Somebody please answer.

Three years ago the Yamaha import dealer was presenting the PSR9000 on the local instrument shop. At that time he was trying to find someone to translate the PSR9000 manual from english to finish. He asked me to do that, but at that time I was so busy with my business college studies, so I didnīt have the time to do it, so I had to say no. I would have liked to do that and I would have done it with the dictionary at least, but I didnīt have the time. I would have done a much better translation that the person who did it. Also with the TYROS. I started to study AV communication in the beginning of the year. Before that I was unemplayed for almost eight months. I could have easily translated the TYROS manual and I would have done a good translation AND at the same time I would have learned to use the TYROS much better than now. But I did not get intouch with the import dealer because he had not visited our dealer, because Yamaha could not deliver many TYROS to Finland. The next TYROS delivery will arrive in Finland on June.

Micco

#90459 - 02/24/03 01:49 PM Re: Problems with TYROS
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Personaly I would never ever buy a PC. Not even because of the TYROS and if I can not do the same things with Mac on the TYROS what I can do with PC, then I donīt care.

For me Mac is much more user friendly and stable than a PC. The only advantist what PC had over Mac is that there is much more games for PC than Mac. But I donīt play games much at all. Of course we all have our own opinions.

Micco, your above statements were the EXACT sentiments I had for years. It wasn't until AFTER I finally broke down & relunctantly purchased a Windows XP PC that I finally realized moving to the PC platform was a good decision for me.

I too used Virtual PC to run PC Windows programs on the Mac (G4), but always seemed to be plagued with one glitch or another, especially when trying to connect hardware perhriphrals. I realize that Mac OS X is far improved over OS 9, and Virtual PC has surely improved Windows emulation & port communications as well. I would assume that you should be able to UPDATE your Tyros OS via your Macv (using Virtual PC) if Virtual PC is able to recognize the USB connection to your Tyros.

Quote:

I found out that on the TYROS you can save MIDI settings in two places. You can save something on the MIDI window and something on the UTILITY window. What is the difference between those two?

The MIDI Window is where you select preset midi settings as well as store your own custom midi settings. The Utility window is where you go to restore the 'factory preset' midi setting.

Quote:

Yamaha has changed many things on the TYROS. It is not just an update compared to the PSR9000. It is a completly new keyboard. I have got used to the PSR9000 so switching to TYROS is a big step for me. At the moment I feel much better than two days ago. The beginning is always difficult.

Micco, yes, the Tyros OS is actually more similar to the PSR2000 & 9000pro than the PSR9000. I think you'll find many useful advantages to the Tyros OS over the PSR9000 once you get more accustomed to it.

Quote:

I am still asking: IS IT POSSIBLE TO DO THE OS UPDATE TO TYROS WITH VIRTUALPC?

I would think YES, if 'Virtual PC' is able to recognize the Tyros (as a USB perhripral device) via your Mac's USB port. I recommend emailing the makers of Virtual Pc, Connectix http://www.connectix.com/index_win.html
to confirm this.

Good luck. I'm curious to hear what you find out.

Scott

#90460 - 02/25/03 03:33 AM Re: Problems with TYROS
Micco Offline

I use Windows XP at school almost every day. It is a very good operating system, but I like the Mac OS X much more. I use my computer a lot for video editing and there Mac is the best choice. Here in Finland, many musicians also use Mac rather than a PC. But I think that it is just a matter of personal taste.

I have to tried to update the TYROS OS many times with the VirtualPC, but the Windows 98 can not recognize the keyboard. I have installed everything, but still I can not get any connection between the keyboard and my computer. I have to write email to Connectix and ask about it.

I am still confused with the MIDI thing. I found out that you can save MIDI settings in two places. First is the FUNCTION MENU - UTILITY - SYSTEM RESET - MIDI SETUP. There you can save something and of course you can restore factory settings. Then the second place is FUNCTION MENU - MIDI. There you can also save something (both places have some factory thing already). What is the difference between those two. Hope I am not asking the same question again.

I will post my review about the TYROS lately. First i want to find out some things.

Micco

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online