SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#178247 - 02/07/03 12:36 PM What is the keyboard height of a Grand Piano?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I'm trying to adjust my keyboard ergonomics to minimize stress to my arms, wrists, and hands. I want to start with placing my keyboards at the appropriate height for my arms. From there I'm going to adjust my stool.

Does anyone know what the manufacturers height of Grand Piano's, spinets, etc. keyboards?

Thanks
Al G

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#178248 - 02/07/03 03:31 PM Re: What is the keyboard height of a Grand Piano?
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
They all are diffrent, they range from 29" to 30 1/2".

#178249 - 02/07/03 03:57 PM Re: What is the keyboard height of a Grand Piano?
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
Just measured my grand piano at 29". Also measured one of my Yamaha keyboards on its Yamaha non-adjustable stand at 30"

#178250 - 02/07/03 04:00 PM Re: What is the keyboard height of a Grand Piano?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Al, the best advice I can provide is from personal experience. Several years ago, when keyboards weighed a ton and the price was outrageous, a fellow musician told me to essentially try to "keep your forearms and palms of your hands parallel to the keys and you can play all night."

I use two keboards, one mounted above and back from the other. the bottom keyboard is just two inches from the top of my legs while sitting on a keyboard stool. The top keyboard is angled in such a manner that my forearms and palms are parallel without changing the position of my biceps.

This works for me, and a lot of other musicians that I know as well. If you feel pain in your hands or wrists after a three to four-hour job, you may want to consider adjusting the angle of your keyboard(s). If this doesn't solve the problem, you might want to consider wearing elastic wrist supports. They are highly recommended for folks that have hand fatigue from typing on a computer keyboard for extended periods.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#178251 - 02/07/03 08:02 PM Re: What is the keyboard height of a Grand Piano?
kbrkr Offline

Gary,

Great advise! I was going to ask about my second keyboard position. I was positioning it waaaaay too high. I use an Ultimate stand and with the top keyboard lowered, I find it difficult to read the screen on the bottom keyboard.

But your absolutely right. I find keeping my arms level and parallel with keyboard relieves much of the stress I was feeling.

Thanks again for your input.

Al

#178252 - 02/08/03 07:08 AM Re: What is the keyboard height of a Grand Piano?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Al, I also use an ultimate stand and I'll email you a digital photo of the setup that works for me. Essentially, I tried to make the stand "drunk proof" by configuring the legs in such a manner that a drunk staggering off the dance floor couldn't knock it over unless he was a Ravens linebacker going full blast.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#178253 - 02/08/03 07:15 AM Re: What is the keyboard height of a Grand Piano?
kbrkr Offline

Glad to see someone else is also having trouble with drunks. They usually steal my microphone while I'm playing. I had one guy lean on me watching me play for a complete song. I had a hard time supporting him and trying to play with touch at the same time. Thankfully, a bouncer came over and told him not to harass the band.

I try to box myself in surrounded with monitors, drummers cymbals, gig bags etc. so they can't get a me or my keyboards!!! LOL

Al

#178254 - 02/08/03 08:05 AM Re: What is the keyboard height of a Grand Piano?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
A while back I did a friend a favor by helping him do a job. After the second fight, I packed up and left. My friend agreed that it wasn't worth getting the equipment damaged.
To his credit, the owner also agreed and paid us for the full night.
DonM

#178255 - 02/08/03 10:50 AM Re: What is the keyboard height of a Grand Piano?
kbrkr Offline

I've been fortunate not to be involved in too many fights in bars. I did witness one nasty humdinger over; a woman - of course. Luckily the bouncers stepped in before someone got hurt.

I usually get harassed whilst packing up the equipment and moving it to my car. Once I'm outside the venue, they figure all bets are off. I usually find most of my critics out there!!!!! LOL

Al

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online