SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#123575 - 02/05/03 06:02 PM SuB woofer
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
I have been using my Psr 2000 with a stereo sytem but will be moving the KeyBoard to another room. I have a Radio Shack powered subwoofer (300 watts 12" speaker)which is not being used and am thinking of hooking that up with some powered speakers. Want to eleminate the stereo.

Ok Gang Pro's Con's

Recomendations welcome

My K2600 will be in possibly friday or Monday at the latest. There goes the Neighborhood.

Jerry

#123576 - 02/05/03 06:24 PM Re: SuB woofer
trtjazz Offline

Jerry,
For my tastes, I don't care much for the woofer setup on my Tyros.....or on my pc for that matter. I would prefer to have a great set of all range speakers at ear level instead. If you've been following my saga about this on the Tyros, I added a set of Altec Lansing 621's and had that woofer hooked up too, but then disconnected it. I like the sattellites and still have the Ty satellites hooked up as well and that gives me a pretty full range for the sound, so I've turned the Tyros woofer off and just run the 4 satellites.

I don't like the seperate woofer, because the mix doesn't sound right to me. I get mids and highs at ear level, but the bottom end is muffled from somewhere down on the floor, unless I turn it up enough to rattle everything in the studio.

The best sound though comes when I go out of my mains into my powered studio monitors.

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 02-05-2003).]

#123577 - 02/05/03 09:49 PM Re: SuB woofer
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
If a sub is mixed at the right level, and is crossed over at the right frequency point, it should be almost impossible to discern the location you hear the bass from. The ultra low frequencies are non-directional, and should be more "felt" than heard. It's more about fullness than "in yer face"ness.
If you don't like the mix - it's NOT mixed right! BTW Terry ..... there were some nice Rhodes patches on your latest stuff. I forget the tune, but I heard a good stereo tremelo happenin. Nice sound !

#123578 - 02/05/03 10:01 PM Re: SuB woofer
Evangelical Offline

Loc: San Diego
I use the Altec Lansing 621 satellites with my 9000 Pro. I also use the subwoofer (at a very low volume however ... I have a condo and my homeowner's association would be on my case big time if I cranked the thing up). But Uncle Dave is right, you can't really tell where the bass is coming from. And it adds a lot of body to the sound. At least to my ears.

Blessings,
ev

#123579 - 02/06/03 01:06 AM Re: SuB woofer
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Most of the Sub-Base units manufactured today are far to small to produce LOW BASS. All they do is boom away with upper-bass frequencies, it's this upper bass that gives the game away of their position placing.
In a good quality Active Sub-Bass the amplifier frequency response is tailored to the box size, but only so much can be achieved for a small box. The old adage YOU NEED A BIG BOX AND DRIVER TO MOVE AIR is true.

Graham UK

[This message has been edited by Graham UK (edited 02-06-2003).]

#123580 - 02/06/03 02:31 AM Re: SuB woofer
trtjazz Offline

Dave,
Thanks ...that's the "Cool Electric Piano" patch.

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#123581 - 02/06/03 05:24 AM Re: SuB woofer
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
The crossover frequency generally used for a Subwoofer is 250 khz. The reason is, as UD stated, Non directional. Anything above that frequency sent to a subwoofer muddies the sound and takes away from the midrange in your "Primary Speakers". In my "Live" playing days never went anywhere without a Sub! Love the sound!

#123582 - 02/06/03 07:24 AM Re: SuB woofer
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
From what I can tell, although this unit was for home theatre and from your kind responses this Sub should do fine. I did have it hooked up to my Yamaha organ through my stereo and did seem to do very well. The hookup seems a little problematic because I'm not sure how to wire this deal. The low level output from either the Yamaha or Kurz my not be enough to drive the sub properly. I do not want to use my stero recever, my guess is I will have to use a mixer of some sort.
Oh what are decent inexpensive powered speakers maybe around $150-$300 a pair. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm assuming that speakers made for live playing are much better then regular stero speakers. I do not gig and only play at home I like a lot of organ so the LOWS are important. I'm a keyboard junkie and can't play for beans but still love playing and it keeps me off the street from chasing cars.

I was thinking of the motion pro but the bank is broken with the new (used Kurzweil) coming.

Jerry

#123583 - 02/06/03 10:43 PM Re: SuB woofer
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Mainer:
I'm assuming that speakers made for live playing are much better then regular stero speakers.

Nope. In general .... most stereo speakers will actually produce a better tonal range than "live" speakers, but they can't handle the same spikes and volume peaks. They are also not built to withstand travel. Use "road gear" for the road, and "home gear" for home....but ALWAYS use your EARS to purchase them !
"To everything .... turn, turn, turn .... there IS a reason."

#123584 - 02/07/03 04:48 AM Re: SuB woofer
arnothijssen Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA USA
I have to agree with graham, there is only 1 way to produce a good Bass and that is a big box. Sorry for the guys who have to haul it, but true.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online