SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#214536 - 01/26/03 02:37 PM Ketron Built-In Voice Processor
The Accordionist Offline

Here it is in a nutshell - I can't sing. Not at all. I am a MIDI accordionist that wants to buy an XD3 and was noticing that the voice processor option is only about $150 more. I read up on it and it sounds like it could bring my pitch to correct levels and add harmony too. I play a lot of older Italian songs and was thinking it would be fun to sing along. Maybe even profitable.
First question: How good is the Ketron voice processor? Worth buying?
Second question: Is it better to buy a dedicated voice processor (like the TC Electronics I read about in a post on this forum?
Thanks again. Great and informative site.

#214537 - 01/26/03 02:51 PM Re: Ketron Built-In Voice Processor
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have an X4 with vocalizer, that I use together with a midi controller keyboard. I like a lot the compact internal vocalizer, although my external Digitech Vocalist Workstation EX produces slightly cleaner vocals and a greater number of configuration possibilities. For my needs, and my quility demands, the internal Ketron vocalizer is quite enough. An external high end harmonizer like the TC Eletronics will offer you better results, of course, but at quite different budgets...

-- José.

#214538 - 01/26/03 02:57 PM Re: Ketron Built-In Voice Processor
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
If you can't carry a tune in a five-gallon bucket, the best vocal processor in the world will not help. The best advice is to go the nearest community college and sign up for some voice lessons. Most folks can sing with a little training. There are, however, exceptions to that rule. Once and a while I do something crazy like have an open mic night. Some of the folks that stand in front of the mic should never be in the same area code with a microphone--they make some nasty sounds, especially when they've had too much to drink.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#214539 - 01/26/03 07:46 PM Re: Ketron Built-In Voice Processor
The Accordionist Offline

Well, I'm not tone deaf, but I'm by no means what I would call a good singer. I'm thinking that perhaps the vocalizer will be able to bring my voice up or down to the correct pitch to match the left hand accordion chord. If that's the case, then I can definitely have fun with it. For around $100 it seems worth getting internally.

#214540 - 01/26/03 08:54 PM Re: Ketron Built-In Voice Processor
trtjazz Offline

If you're looking to spend $100. then the tc helicon voice prism is out....it's $800, but is the best money can buy and by many accounts the only one that truly sounds like other real singers.
jam on,
Terry

------------------

http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#214541 - 01/27/03 12:59 AM Re: Ketron Built-In Voice Processor
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have used the interal harmonizers for several years now. First one was in the PSR8000, then the X1, then the 9000, then the PA80 and now the 2000. They save a lot of time and money and sound fine. Are the external ones better? Certainly, but to me, not enough difference as related to the trouble and expense. I have paid more for external harmonizers then I paid for my PSR2000!
It's important not to overuse them. The only one I had a problem with was the PA80. It was very incomplete.
I think you would be making a mistake to try to get any of them to keep you on key. They correct only very slightly. You can learn to sing by doing it . . . a lot. Listen to your voice and treat it like you would a lead instrument. I first started singing because the singer didn't show up and I wanted to get paid. I "taught" myself by playing the melody with the right hand and singing it at the same time. You must learn what notes are comfortable for you to sing and which are out of your range. Record and critique yourself as often as possible. Listen to what sounds good and what doesn't. You can use midi-with-lyrics songs to help you with timing and phrasing. Today's keyboards have many helpful tools for learning, and, you are right, singing will very valuable to you as an entertainer.
DonM

#214542 - 01/27/03 02:20 AM Re: Ketron Built-In Voice Processor
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
Don't expect the processor to work miracles, but it isn't worthless either. By no means professional quality but for the money, it is worth it. Of course more expensive boxes are out there that will work and sound better. I personally would get the add on, who wants to carry around more stuff than they have to.

[This message has been edited by PaulD (edited 01-27-2003).]

#214543 - 01/27/03 04:45 AM Re: Ketron Built-In Voice Processor
Anonymous
Unregistered

I fully agree with Don!

-- José.

#214544 - 01/27/03 07:23 PM Re: Ketron Built-In Voice Processor
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
I have some mp3's that use the vocal harmonizer on the SD1 . I think the harmony's are pretty decent . If you use unison setting , the lead voice can follow the pitch .

Dano in baltimore

#214545 - 01/27/03 07:45 PM Re: Ketron Built-In Voice Processor
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
None of the built in units will correct the original signal ... just the hamonized voices. Antares makes a unit that does just that, but it's not cheap, not perfect and not easy to operate in a live setting.
My advice? Use lots of effects on the voice and "hide" in the wash !
Lots of people are making money with lousy voices everyday:
Cher(yuk!), Bob Dylan, Britney Spears, Kathy Lee Gifford (double yuk!!) lots more ....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online