SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#114834 - 01/17/03 07:37 PM I spent some quality time with the Tyros today
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I went to Alto Music in Middletown, NY today and spent some quality time with the Tyros today.. About 2+ hrs with it ). First off, Alto has moved to a much bigger store and it is laid out as well as any music store I've ever been to. I no longer had to listen to the next Jimi Hendrix 25 feet away playing so loud that I can't hear an arranger at all at full volume.

The OS was a breeze to figure out since I've owned a PSR2000 and a 740 before, and have played a 9000 a good bit as well. I needed no help accessing anything that I wanted to try. The only arranger I own today to compare it to is the PA80. It took me several days before I was comfortable with the PA80 OS in comparison.

The voices sound great. What else can I say. A lot sound similar to previous Yamaha models ( that isn't a bad thing for me ), but there are some noticable improvements ( at least vs the 2000 ). Yamaha is finally getting it right with the guitar sounds. I disliked a lot of them on the 740 and a good deal of them from the 2000 too. Not so with the Tyros. I didn't quite get the hang of playing the megavoices live, but the other guitar voices sounded nice... really nice. The rest of the voices sounded good as well ( I always liked a lot of the offerings from earlier models anyway ). The drumkits seemed to be improved. Yamaha finally has something that stacks up well in sounds vs my PA80, at least for most of them,. I would not choose the Tyros for electronica or synth music / sounds ( not that the synth sounds are bad at all, but I'm spoiled with the Motif and PA80 editing capabilities ), but would feel comfortable with most of the rest of the sounds in almost any application.

The styles are good. Some of them sound as alive as their counterparts on the PA80, while others sound like the older Yamaha styles, less frills but okay. They will work well for the live performer.

The key feel is much better for my touch than the feel on the 2000 / 740. It isn't quite like the key feel on the Motif, but I can work with it just fine.

I didn't delve all that much into the advanced features but I recognize many from specs and previous models. Suffice it to say, I know I like the board. I would surely miss having onboard speakers, but hey it isn't an issue when I play the Motif either.

In conclusion, I would like to once again own a Yamaha arranger ( man this board has awesome sounds ) and I would certainly be a candidate for the Tyros if funds were available right now. As much as I like the Tyros already, I will not to part with either my PA80 or Motif in order to make up some of the funds I'd need. The Tyros would be a third board. It can not replace either of the two that I already have and love, but it would certainly be a more than welcome addition. I might be able to afford another PSR2k, but I'm not so sure I want to revisit that again. Perhaps the 2100 would also be an alternative, particularly if it has similar sounds to the Tyros. The appeal is the onboard speakers and half the price. The big strike against a 2100 for me would be if the key feel is the same as the 2000 ( likely it is ). In the end, most likely I will scratch and scrape up the funds when I am able to and go with the Tyros, with an eye toward the 2100 too.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-17-2003).]

#114835 - 01/17/03 07:50 PM Re: I spent some quality time with the Tyros today
trtjazz Offline

AJ,
If one is at all prone to like Yamaha, it's hard not to like the Tyros, it is a very cool board.
jam on,
Terry

------------------

http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#114836 - 01/17/03 07:56 PM Re: I spent some quality time with the Tyros today
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
AJ

I bought my Tyros from Alto music!!!!

Did you work with Tom Silaghy? He runs the KB dept there. The new store rocks doesn't it?

I play at Destefano's Olde Eerie Pub frequently. I'll also be at Delayney's Irish Pub this Saturday in Greenville. If you ever get the chance stop by and hear the Tyros in action!!!

Where you from?

Regards,
Al G

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#114837 - 01/17/03 08:08 PM Re: I spent some quality time with the Tyros today
Bluezplayer Offline

Al,

Yes I worked with Tom. He's an easy guy to like and work with. He helped me with my PSR2000 nightmare and made the subsequent full refund / trade for the Motif happen. I love Alto because I never have to dicker about price. They are always consistently among the best and Tom is the cream of the crop in my book. The new store DOES rock and pretty much insures that I will never feel compelled to drive 100 miles ( or more ) to the big chains in The NY city area. There is a dealer in Scranton who also carries several arrangers ( albeit sometimes older ones ). Scranton is only a few miles further than Middletown is from me. The arranger scene / availability in my area has improved drastically in a few short years.

Would love to check ya out sometime. I'll keep it in mind.

I'm up in Sullivan County in Yulan btw . It is about 25 miles northwest of Port Jervis and fairly close to the river ( 3.5 miles to be exact )

AJ

#114838 - 01/18/03 07:23 AM Re: I spent some quality time with the Tyros today
kbrkr Offline

Aj

Great to have a "local boy" on the forum here. Did you get the speakers with your Tyros? I'm interested in what your opinion is.

Al G

#114839 - 01/18/03 08:07 PM Re: I spent some quality time with the Tyros today
Bluezplayer Offline

I didn't get then Tyros yet Al. Right now it's just wishful thinking, but I'm also thinking that I'm going to be getting one instead of "settling" for a 2100. I'm sure the 2100 will be a worthy board and I'm still interested in looking at it when it arrives on the scene but... Cliche as it is, Life really is too short not to have the toys I really want..lol. I'll just have to wait and see though and when the funds become available I'm going for the Tyros.

AJ

#114840 - 01/19/03 09:35 AM Re: I spent some quality time with the Tyros today
kbrkr Offline

AJ

Do what I did. I sold a bunch of stuff to get the Tyros. I was fortunate to have a PSR 9000 which I sold, but I sold stuff to buy that stuff. You just have to keep on selling and buying stuff untile you get the right stuff you want!! LOL

Heck, sell the dog, the cat, the wife the girlfriend. Whatever it takes to get the right stuff.

Al

P.S. Geez, I'm starting to sound like George Carlin -- very scary !

[This message has been edited by kbrkr (edited 01-19-2003).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online