SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#173733 - 12/27/02 06:39 AM PSR-1000/2000 Pitchbend wheels..., Are they any good.?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
What is the overall "feel" of the pitchbend on the PSR-1000/2000...??? The pitchbend on my PSR-550 has to be the worst one I've ever used. It's too springy and just feels totally cheap.. It's nearly impossible to get a decent "whammy" effect with it. Are they much better on the 1000/2000?

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#173734 - 12/27/02 07:04 AM Re: PSR-1000/2000 Pitchbend wheels..., Are they any good.?
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I've used pitchbend wheels on a half-dozen different keyboards, and essentially, they're all about the same. The big advantage with the PSR-2000 is the range is adjustable. This is a great feature when using the sax, guitar and fiddle voices and provides lots of realism if properly used. None of the wheels are worth much if they're not properly used.

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#173735 - 12/27/02 07:36 AM Re: PSR-1000/2000 Pitchbend wheels..., Are they any good.?
squeak_D Offline

travlin'easy,
I have to disagree with you on "they're all about the same". I too have played "many" different keyboards with wheels and sticks. There is a very noticable difference between the brands. Some are so cheap (PSR-550) that you when using it you always feel like it might break on you, and I've used some that are so smooth that it's like butter under your fingers (so to say)... I use the pitchbend a lot since I also play guitar.. One of my former synth (which was a Yamaha) had a very smooth pitchbend wheel and pulling off "whammy" effects was a breeze, but trying that with my PSR-550 is a nightmare. Of course any wheel can add realism to the sound, but the quality of the wheels construction can greatly affect it. Most keyboards "even the cheaper Casio's" allow you to adjust the range of the pitchbend. Some say I'm too picky at times, but when I'm recording and using only a keyboard for the entire song I'm quite stubborn in that I like to make that song sound as real as possible. That's just how I've always been. Yamaha has great keyboards and they do give you a crap load of features for the price.. However, "quality of construction" is the compromise for all the features and great sound.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#173736 - 12/27/02 08:08 AM Re: PSR-1000/2000 Pitchbend wheels..., Are they any good.?
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Squeak,
There "ok" , but IMO , like the key`s (same feel) . They will hold up but "handle with care" would be a good rule of thumb !!
The 1000-2000 are good KB`s for the price and are built with that in mind.
I have not had a chance to play a "Tyros" , some folks say it`s has better build quality , it should. But so should a $900-1200 KB. I think "Yamaha" has to take a step back and realize that some people buy a KB and keep it for several years. I feel that the 1000-2000 will hold-up ,if handled with care.
It`s not a "Pro" instrument but does a very good impression.
jedi

#173737 - 12/27/02 08:32 AM Re: PSR-1000/2000 Pitchbend wheels..., Are they any good.?
squeak_D Offline

I agree Jedi, Yamaha does need to take into consideration that some people hold on to their keyboards (even the lower models) for some time. Honestly I think Yamaha really and truly only cares about it's Motif, S90, and it's other top models. It's like they just throw us a bone with the lower lineup. They seem to forget that even though some don't admit it, there are a lot of pros out there that also use arrangers, but of course Yamaha's solution to that was a $3,000 keyboard with arranger functions and add the name "Pro" to the title. There's no reason that a $300.00 Casio should have better key feel, and better pitchbend and modulaton wheels than some of the PSR line up.. My PSR-550 blows the Casio WK away in terms of features, but when it comes to construction and key feel, I say the Casio WK wins in that department. A good example is the PSR-2000.... That is one hell of a keyboard.. However the price tag is around $1200.00, and at the price Yamaha still had the nerve to cheese a bit on the construction. The Korg Triton LE is virtually the same price, and has better build quality, and key feel. Guys don't think I'm talking bad about the PSR-200.... Hell if Yamaha took that keyboard dropped the speakers and put it on stage, no one would no the difference. The PSR-2000's acoustic sounds are just as good if not better than the $1,700 synths out there.. Actually Yamaha got smart and put some of the PSR voices like the sweet tenor on their top synth the Motif, but of course the jerks gave the credit to the 9000 Pro as the keyboard they came from. They won't even admit in a ad that those sounds really come from the PSR line up.. Anyways let me stop before I write a novel on this one.. Sorry to rant, but I get really frustrated everytime Yamaha get's so close to perfection and misses it by an inch...

Squeak

#173738 - 12/27/02 08:53 AM Re: PSR-1000/2000 Pitchbend wheels..., Are they any good.?
squeak_D Offline

How many of out there on the forum would buy a PSR-2000 with ALL the same features, minus the speakers.. Imagine that.. (1)The keyboard would be lighter, and the height itself would be shorter as well. (2) It would have the "pro stage" look that so many people are picky about. (3) No one would even know the difference because the 2000 sounds just as good. Why should a pro version need to be $3,000..???? Look at your PSR-2000's, and and just take away the speakers "keeping the same body design" Add better keys and the word "Pro" after 2000, and they got a winner! How hard is that...??

Squeak

#173739 - 12/27/02 09:05 AM Re: PSR-1000/2000 Pitchbend wheels..., Are they any good.?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
A Pro version would need XLR mic inputs, hard drive capability and after touch also.
DonM

#173740 - 12/27/02 09:12 AM Re: PSR-1000/2000 Pitchbend wheels..., Are they any good.?
squeak_D Offline

Don,
Even if they didn't add all that but just dropped the speakers you'd see the 2000 popping up on stages. Peoples opinions of a keyboard (just based on looks alone) can be completely thrown off just by the appearnce of onboard speakers. People still seem to think they're no good and just toys. Imagine how much Yamaha would charge for adding those things.. Even if they just added aftertouch and the option of a hard drive would be great. How much could that actually cost them (not much), but to the consumer A LOT!

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 12-27-2002).]

#173741 - 12/28/02 06:48 AM Re: PSR-1000/2000 Pitchbend wheels..., Are they any good.?
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
I hope the pitchbend wheel on the 2000 is better than the 740. I get the feeling that if I leaned on it a bit too hard - goodbye. I recall on another forum that someone had to wait 3 months for a new pitchbend control after he broke it.

Bryan

#173742 - 12/28/02 07:03 AM Re: PSR-1000/2000 Pitchbend wheels..., Are they any good.?
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Hey Squeak,
I use the 2000 and 740 both a couple nights a week and have a freind that plays six nights a week at one of the top restaurants in Baltimore and uses the same rig--they're aready appearing on lots of stages. Personally, I like the speakers because I use them for monitoring purposes instead of packing along a larger monitor speaker. They're real handy when your main speakers are 40 feet apart. I liked both the 740 and 2000 enough to buy back-up machines for both. Yes, I currently own two each of the 740 and 2000. When I'm on a job I also take a spare mixer/amp head, spare mics and spare cables. To me, not taking these things along is like playing Russian Roulette with a fully loaded gun. I've had keyboards suddenly stop working, amp heads dropped dead and even a few bad cables and mics. When you have spares, you can take a short break, plug in the spare and you're back in business. When you don't have the spares, the person that booked you for the wedding, private party, corporate party or night club gig will have a conversation with their attorney the next morning, and their lawyer will be sending you a letter the next day. As for the quality of the Yamaha keyboards, the quality of the voices and the vareity to styles, I still consider them tops. I spent four hours at Washington Music playing more than a dozen different boards, some that sold for nearly $5,000, and right out of the box, the yamaha sounded better than all of them. The only experience I've had with casio is a few of their mid-price boards, and while the styles were great, the individual voices, sax, pianos, etc, sounded like crap. Don't know about the rest of you, but I'll stick with the Yamahas. God, I just wrote a book. Sorry guys.

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online