SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#165149 - 11/12/02 08:21 PM PSR2000, using built in mixer -vs- external mixer.
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

I have been using the built in mixer on my PSR2000 with my JBL powered speakers. It was suggested that this possibly could do it for me. I think it sounds great. All I need to do is see which mixer preset sounds the best and then edit if needed. So far I have only needed to change the preset setting little or none.

However, I have seen posts here talking about doing it both ways. Scott Yee even changed horses in mid stream by saying only the onboard mixer was needed and then on another post said one needs an external mixer to get the most out of their speakers. Why the change I wonder?

The sound would have to be dramatically better for me to get a mixer , and then I had thought if I really needed one I would get a Behringer 602 or 802 I think are the model numbers. Both sell for under $100. ScottY said he likes to use a Mackie mixer, obviously a big name in PA systems.

I would appreciate a little discussion on this.

Thanx

Scott Langholff

#165150 - 11/12/02 08:57 PM Re: PSR2000, using built in mixer -vs- external mixer.
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
If it sounds good to you, then use the internal mixer.
I use the internal e.q. only most of the time. I do have a rack that I sometimes use, when I am using additional musicians or expecting sit-ins.
It contains external reverb, delay, 32-band e.q. and a 12-channel Mackie mixer. Other than offer a lot more options, it doesn't seem to make the overall sound any better.
I also have a Behringer 802 that I use on occasion. It works just fine if all you need is channel e.q. and more inputs. It even has phantom power, and is VERY inexpensive.
Lighter is better. Less is more. Save your back whenever possible because you won't be young forever.
DonM

#165151 - 11/12/02 10:09 PM Re: PSR2000, using built in mixer -vs- external mixer.
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Scott Yee even changed horses in mid stream by saying only the onboard mixer was needed and then on another post said one needs an external mixer to get the most out of their speakers. Why the change I wonder?

Change? NO. Not at all. I STILL feel the PSR2000's onboard mixer is 'all that's needed' for most gig situations. Even so, there are a few larger situations where adding an external mixer will provide increased signal to 'maximize the most' out of the speakers resulting in even MORE clarity, punch, and volume. Other avantages to using an external mixer (ok yes, I still on rare occasions use my little Mackie 1202 workhorse) is that it provides additional XLR mic inputs (and EQ/balance control) for backup musicians & guest singers, outboard efx processors & external vocal harmonizers (Digitech) , a CD player, etc. The 2000 has an impressive sounding buitl in mixer & vocal efx processor & harmonizer section, but it still can't compare to vocals run thru a dedicated external vocal EFX- harmony processor with XLR mic inputs and the convenient 'on the fly' adjusting and fine tuning an external mixer provides. I hope this clarifies my position. - Scott Yee

#165152 - 11/12/02 10:50 PM Re: PSR2000, using built in mixer -vs- external mixer.
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Don, I'm with you. Travel light is the key. At one time when I used three keyboards or two keyboards and a Yamaha ME50 organ, it took me 1 1/2 hours to set up!!! I'm done with that noise I'll tell you. I have been spoiled though. The organ company I work for delivers the organ for me for outside concerts on thier behalf. It's great, show up 10 minutes early, sit down and play.

ScottY:

Your clarification makes sense to me as does Don's reason for extra stuff. I don't sing. Well I could but I guarrentee you I'd scare them away by the thousands!!!

I do play trumpet sometimes with great audience response. (Left hand plays chords, keyboard transposed to Bb and right hand trumpet. Maybe I should call Barnum & Bailey??)

So far I haven't done anything except solo with current set-up. So, since I'm no longer using my Peavey KB300 (Thank God),....oops, did I say that. Great amp that Peavey. Anybody here want to by it?? Anyway with the Peavey of course I had several channels and used singers and horn players in my KN1000 days. (I still have it and like it) I also realized I would need some type of mixer now with my JBL 10G2's.

Thanx for the input guys

Scott Langholff

#165153 - 11/13/02 03:19 AM Re: PSR2000, using built in mixer -vs- external mixer.
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
If it sounds OK, stick with it.

A possible (theoretical?) hiccup using the internal mixer might be caused by the fact that its a totally digital operation.

There may be combinations of mixer (and effect?) settings that could cause internal overload in the digital domain which sounds diabolical! This hasn't happened on my Y2K - but it has happened on my Yamaha YMF744 chipset PC soundcard!

Conversely, digital attenuation at some point in the chain results in a loss of signal resolution that cannot be recovered by later amplification.

These factors are one reason why "serious" digital sound systems are moving to 24 or 32 bit precision - more room to manoeuvre!

#165154 - 11/13/02 08:40 AM Re: PSR2000, using built in mixer -vs- external mixer.
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
HEY SCOTT,
If you get a buyer for that kb300 and they need two more, send them by
Bebop

#165155 - 11/13/02 09:40 AM Re: PSR2000, using built in mixer -vs- external mixer.
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
Hey Bebop if you get a buyer for your 2 KB300's
and they need 1 more send them my way.
Denny

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online