SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#152476 - 10/29/02 01:33 PM XD9: "NEW" FLASH Card Option Sound Chip !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I just got news that the Ketron XD9 supports a FLASH card option chip, which allows you to customize or IMPORT your own sounds into the XD9.

Would it be possible to import SD1 or X1 sounds into the XD9 via this chip? How about 3rd party commercially available instrument sounds, or sounds sampled from a sampler? Can these be imported as well?

What sampler 'format' is required and HOW is the sound sample imported into the chip? What is the actual capacity of this chip?

Sorry for all the questions, but this new XD9 development sounds exciting. I hope AJ or another Ketron-oholic can provide MORE information as this.

MANY Thanks,

Scott

#152477 - 10/29/02 02:07 PM Re: XD9: "NEW" FLASH Card Option Sound Chip !
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Scott,
all I know is that the XD9 can be connected to a PC via a serial cable and will respond to the Ketron file transfer program just like the SD1.
Once a flash card is installed on the XD9 you will be able to upload sounds. Now that I think of it, the XD9 can accept a HD as well, so I wonder how this would cost compared with a flash card. I seem to remember, however, that the flash card comes already loaded with sounds.

#152478 - 10/29/02 03:32 PM Re: XD9: "NEW" FLASH Card Option Sound Chip !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
Once a flash card is installed on the XD9 you will be able to upload sounds. Now that I think of it, the XD9 can accept a HD as well, so I wonder how this would cost compared with a flash card.

If the XD9 can actually access & read insturment voices (sounds) directly from the XD9's HD, it certainly would make better sense to go THAT route. Perhaps AJ, DanO, GeorgeK, or other Ketron XD9 user can clarify this.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
I seem to remember, however, that the flash card comes already loaded with sounds.

I wonder if these are brand new Ketron sounds altogeher, or sounds from the X1, SD1, or? Can AJ, DanO, GeorgeK, or others provide more detail on this? Also, how much does this new FLASH card cost?

#152479 - 10/30/02 08:06 AM Re: XD9: "NEW" FLASH Card Option Sound Chip !
Scottyee Offline

OK all: Here are the latest details regarding Ketron's new XD9 Flash Chip:

Quote:
Originally posted by Ketron_AJ via private email to Scottyee:
The new FLASH chip (internally installed) can be used to install new proprietory sounds from Ketron. These new sound libruary will soon be made available to the public which will allow you to 'customize' your keyboard. You will have ethnic, arabian, european, western, african etc sounds that you can choose from. These are newly sampled sounds that will be provided via your local dealer. Some may include sounds from previous models; however, the choice will be entirely yours.
Only the SD1 & X-series (at this time) can import sounds from other manufacturers (converted to wave) since they have the built-in sampler unit. But then for the price of the XD-series, you can't really expect all of these functions now, right?

It's now clear that it's NOT POSSIBLE for us the 'end user' to import any sounds from the SD1 or X1 to the XD9.

I guess I initially misunderstood AJ in thinking (wishful thinking?) that the XD9 Flash expansion Sound chip was USER flashable, but apparently this is NOT the case, and that importing sounds to the chip can only be done by Ketron. Thus the ONLY way to have 'any' of the SD1 or X1 sounds in the XD9 is if Ketron decides to add specific sounds to the XD9 expansion sound chip themselves.

AJ, THANKS for your clarification. - Scott

#152480 - 10/30/02 11:51 AM Re: XD9: "NEW" FLASH Card Option Sound Chip !
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Scott,
I have checked the XD3 manual and it looks like the only possibility to import new sounds is through these flash cards. At first I thought that they worked like expansion of the internal ROM, but then at the end of the manual (page 97), under "Specifications / Optionals", I have found a reference to "Flash sound expansion (8 or 4 Mb) blank or preloaded".
Maybe it's too early to ask for a clarification on this issue; I think that for now it's safer to assume that if importing new sounds is a priority then the SD1 could be a better choice.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online