SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#111334 - 10/27/02 02:20 AM Is there an unexpensive program to transfer sounds from a sampler to a PC?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Dear friends,
I am finally beginning to use the sample handling ability of my SD1. I have played the sounds stored on the HD and some of them (like the percussive Hammond) are really good. However, I have a huge library of sounds, most of them home-made, from my Akai S 2800 and would like to transfer those sounds into the SD1. Ufortunately, the SD1 doesn't support the midi sample dump (at least I didn't see this feature in the manual). I can upload samples from my PC using the Ketron file transfer program, but I cannot trasfer the samples from the Akai to the PC itself. I have tried with Sound Diver, but apparently it only transfers programs, for editing purposes.
Is there another program (or another way) to download samples to the PC? I am sure that a program like Giga sampler could do this, but I am afraid that it's too expensive for what I want to do (i.e. not sampling or editing sounds but simply transferring them).
I know that I could resample all the sounds again with the SD1, but this process would be very time consuming and, besides, I know that a dedicated sampler, like the Akai, has better editing possibilities compared with the SD1.
Thanks in advance
Andrea

#111335 - 10/27/02 10:23 AM Re: Is there an unexpensive program to transfer sounds from a sampler to a PC?
Chris A Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ,
I've tried a number of these Akai/WAV translation programs. One of the best I've found (and one of the cheapest) is CDxtract. With this you can read Akai, Emu, Kurzweil, Roland etc. etc. CDs from your PC's CD-ROM drive, audition the individual samples frrom each program and then save them as WAV, AIFF, MP3 or whatever. It also supports program key-mapped formats like soundfont and gigasampler, (though I doubt that these would be of much use for your application).

The current full version for PC or Mac costs $139 and can be downloaded from http://www.cdxtract.com

[This message has been edited by Chris A (edited 10-27-2002).]

#111336 - 10/27/02 12:34 PM Re: Is there an unexpensive program to transfer sounds from a sampler to a PC?
Dreamer Offline

Chris,
thank you for your kind reply; one further problem is that the greatest part of my samples is stored on floppy disks or SyQuest 44 Mb removable disks because, as I said, they are home-made. Do you know if CDxtract, besides reading Akai CD-ROMs, can initiate a midi sample dump?
Thanks

#111337 - 10/27/02 04:38 PM Re: Is there an unexpensive program to transfer sounds from a sampler to a PC?
Chris A Offline

Sorry, I misunderstood what you wanted to do. In this case try Awave Studio. Full version is $119 and you can download a fully working eval copy at http://www.fmjsoft.com

This will receive a sample dump and then allow you to save it in about a zillion different formats! Just start the program, go to menu and select MIDI SDS receive.

Hope this helps.
Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris A (edited 10-27-2002).]

#111338 - 10/27/02 10:14 PM Re: Is there an unexpensive program to transfer sounds from a sampler to a PC?
Dreamer Offline

Thanks!

#111339 - 10/27/02 10:31 PM Re: Is there an unexpensive program to transfer sounds from a sampler to a PC?
Chris A Offline

Prego

a presto

#111340 - 10/27/02 11:27 PM Re: Is there an unexpensive program to transfer sounds from a sampler to a PC?
Dreamer Offline

Chris,
I just ordered the program.
How come you speak such a good italian?

#111341 - 10/27/02 11:49 PM Re: Is there an unexpensive program to transfer sounds from a sampler to a PC?
Chris A Offline

I worked for 12 years in product development for Generalmusic, Italy.

#111342 - 10/28/02 02:50 AM Re: Is there an unexpensive program to transfer sounds from a sampler to a PC?
Dreamer Offline

By any chance, are you the same Chris who signed in as "Chris at GM?", the one who recorded his own saxophones for the Genesys?

#111343 - 10/28/02 09:42 AM Re: Is there an unexpensive program to transfer sounds from a sampler to a PC?
Chris A Offline

That's me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online