SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#210618 - 10/02/02 07:11 AM Keys are 30" from the floor. Do I need another stand or higher chair?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
My keys are 30" from the floor. I am using a chair with 2 cushions to raise me to the correct level. I am 5' 10" tall. Do most of you use a swivel office chair? Would an office chair be high enough or should I be looking at a keyboard stand that goes lower?

#210619 - 10/02/02 07:25 AM Re: Keys are 30" from the floor. Do I need another stand or higher chair?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
It's a matter of how you are built. With your current stand and seat setup, sit with your feet flat on the floor, your back straight, your arms to your side and allow your hands to sit at a normal playing position (your arms should form a 45-degree angle to your body). The idea is for your wrists to support your hands just above the keyboard. If your wrists are below the keyboard, your stand is too high or your seat is too low. If your wrists are above the keyboard so much that the 45-degree arm angle isn't possible, then your seat is too high or your stand is too low.

I wouldn't use any type of chair/cushions to play on due to the likelihood of bad posture (I am very keen on proper playing posture). Try a good-quality foldable keyboard bench, which also has the benefit of looking more professional.

#210620 - 10/02/02 07:39 AM Re: Keys are 30" from the floor. Do I need another stand or higher chair?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I add the two cushions because I am too low, but the cusions do affect my back. Would a proper keyboard bench be high enough?

#210621 - 10/02/02 08:53 AM Re: Keys are 30" from the floor. Do I need another stand or higher chair?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Some years ago I bought an adjustable office chair from Office Depot. It has a back and has a wide range of height adjusment. It's almost like a draftsman's stool. It's probably the best $125. I ever spent. Very comfortable and will adjust to fit whatever height you want.
DonM

#210622 - 10/02/02 08:56 AM Re: Keys are 30" from the floor. Do I need another stand or higher chair?
The Pro Offline

I am 6' and I use a large and sturdy folding X-braced bench by QuikLok that is height-adjustable (the bolt where the X meets can be moved). QuikLok makes a variety of folding keyboard benches and seats and they are pretty common in music stores and catalogs. You can find out more at http://www.quiklok.com/

It takes practice to maintain good posture when playing but it's really helpful in avoiding back pain.

Just FYI: I am very fond of the QuikLok M-91 Monolith keyboard stand, which Scott Yee also uses. It's the sturdiest stand I've ever used, simple to setup and it's easy to adjust the keyboard height. Looks good too.

#210623 - 10/02/02 01:18 PM Re: Keys are 30" from the floor. Do I need another stand or higher chair?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
I use office chairs for years now.
If an office chair is not high enough, you
definately need another keyboard stand.
If you meassure from top of the keys to the floor it should be around 70cm , which translates to feet 2,29

For me the office chair has extra benefits;
1. Much better confort.
2. I have two other keyboards in a 90o setup so because of the wheels and turning possibilities very easy to switch from one board to another.

#210624 - 10/02/02 01:26 PM Re: Keys are 30" from the floor. Do I need another stand or higher chair?
Dnj Offline

Most performers I know STAND UP on Stage. It definitly gives a better stage presence to the audience, it also lets you "groove" and navagate the KB better while playing and singing. Plus a stool or chair is another thing to carry IMHO. Also I find while sitting your arms are straight out in front creating fatigue in the arms after a few hours playing, but when standing your arms are down to the keys so the blood flow circulates better reducing arm strain.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-02-2002).]

#210625 - 10/02/02 02:09 PM Re: Keys are 30" from the floor. Do I need another stand or higher chair?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
I agree with you DNJ for LIVE performance.
I prefer standing as well!

But I think it was mentionned for homestudio what I can understand from the post.
In my home/hobby studio I prefer sitting and have a beer once in while...

#210626 - 10/02/02 03:46 PM Re: Keys are 30" from the floor. Do I need another stand or higher chair?
The Pro Offline

Interesting... I stand when sitting in with bands and sit down when performing solo. I never gave it much thought as to why... just seemed natural.

#210627 - 10/03/02 02:18 AM Re: Keys are 30" from the floor. Do I need another stand or higher chair?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by freddynl:
In my home/hobby studio I prefer sitting and have a beer once in while...

...Heineken, or what?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online