SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#169380 - 09/24/02 05:35 AM Has anybody had a chance to compare the Tyros and Genisys?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I'm selling my Roland VA-7 and was hoping Roland would have a new guy coming out but it doesn't look so?

Instead having a SD-1 I was wondering if anybody could compare these keyboards to each other so I could have a reference point, thanks

#169381 - 09/24/02 07:00 AM Re: Has anybody had a chance to compare the Tyros and Genisys?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
I have , I have ! dano

search the threads ?

#169382 - 09/24/02 08:42 AM Re: Has anybody had a chance to compare the Tyros and Genisys?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I had the Tyros in my store for one afternoon and I've had the Genesys available for over a month. what would you like to know specifically about these two keyboards. I have posted a review of both about a month ago.
The major differences are these:
1)Tyros has 128 note polyphony vs 64 Genesys
2)Genesys has an internal hard drive and a CD player/recorder vs Yamaha comes with FD only and you must install an optional hard drive if you desire.
3)Genesys comes with built in Speakers and weighs 69 lbs.vs Yamaha no speakers (27lbs) and speakers are an option.
4)Genesys has a full mixing console with automated mixing and sliders for all channel volumes vs Tyros uses screen interface for changing volumes one at a time
5)Sound quality excellent on both
6)Style quality excellent on both
7)Genesys has 32 track sequencer with excellent editing parameters vs Tyros 16 track sequencer without as many editing parameters
8)Genesys has mono and stereo sampling vs Tyros none.
9) Yamaha has big beautiful color monitor vs Genesys plaine grey and white
I could go on and on, but unless you have somehthing specific, I will just say this. These are two great keyboards and either one is a real winner in my opinion. You need to decide which features are more important to you! Genesys is out now, Tyros in another month. Price is about the same when you add the speakers and hard drive to the Tyros (depending on how much you pay for a hard drive, the Genesys might be a couple of hundred dollars more)
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#169383 - 09/24/02 09:03 AM Re: Has anybody had a chance to compare the Tyros and Genisys?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Thanks,

Looking for a board that is more usable for live situations, with being a definite addition to the SD-1, Ease of use, ability to pick and play midi files in live situations, I think the sounds of the yamaha are very impressive, and I know in the past, the op system is very easy once you get used to it.

Basically I'm looking for a VA-7 done right. Hard drive, instant midi file access, easy to use sequencer, great sounds for live playing. I( i think I just described my SD-1)

thanks guys

#169384 - 09/24/02 09:07 AM Re: Has anybody had a chance to compare the Tyros and Genisys?
eyrec Offline

Loc: UK
I own a SD1 and it is still a great keyboard and can compete with any of the new ones that are coming onto the market. I've heard the KN7000, for me this Technics wasn't an improvement on their last effort which didn't impress me anyway, so that was out of the question. I've only heard the Tyros MP3 demos. It looks nice, has some good styles and sounds (the guitars are good) but it still sounds like a PSR9000 revamped and having to buy a hard drive extra is a bit stingy by Yamaha. The Genesys was the first of the new arrangers I heard and I was so impressed I purchased one 3 weeks ago. The MP3 demos on Gems site do not do this keyboard justice so, I have sent new MP3 demos to a guy on Synthzone who is going to kindly put them up on his site for all to hear. This instrument is easy to use, great sounds and styles, being able to record a song direct to it's CDRW is simple, lovely 32 track sequencer, sampling capabilities, it's worth every penny. It does weigh more than the others, but it's certainly not as heavy as some I've had in the past or people are making it out to be.
It has a large screen which is a nice clear blue colour, not grey and white as mentioned elsewhere too.
Listen to them all and good luck with whatever you purchase.

#169385 - 09/24/02 09:49 AM Re: Has anybody had a chance to compare the Tyros and Genisys?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I checked out the Genesis at Winter Namm and though I was impressed with its terrific acoustic sounds (including a terrific acoustic piano sample) & plethora of bells & whistles (CD burning capabilities, MP3 playback,etc), I consider the Genesis better suited for the studio rather than as a live gigging board. If you need an 'ALL in ONE box' type production studio, then the Genesis fits the bill.

#169386 - 09/24/02 10:10 AM Re: Has anybody had a chance to compare the Tyros and Genisys?
New Yorker Offline

Loc: St. Petersburg, Russia
How about genesys/tyros comparison for dance studio gear?

George, Eric, anyone?

Thank you.

#169387 - 09/24/02 12:05 PM Re: Has anybody had a chance to compare the Tyros and Genisys?
eyrec Offline

Loc: UK
I gig with my SD1, G1000 and Genesys. I don't agree with you saying the Genesys is better suited for studio. I wouldn't have paid over £2000 just for it to sit in my studio. The sounds and styles are well suited for live use and it is quicker than my SD1 when changing performances. The live sliders are ideal for mixing different sounds when playing live.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
I checked out the Genesis at Winter Namm and though I was impressed with its terrific acoustic sounds (including a terrific acoustic piano sample) & plethora of bells & whistles (CD burning capabilities, MP3 playback,etc), I consider the Genesis better suited for the studio rather than as a live gigging board. If you need an 'ALL in ONE box' type production studio, then the Genesis fits the bill.

#169388 - 09/24/02 03:26 PM Re: Has anybody had a chance to compare the Tyros and Genisys?
ziggy Offline

Loc: Malta
Hi Guys I am steping in on this subject.
Firstly it's a joke to say that Genesys is a Studio thing, I gig nearly every night and I just purchased one about 5 days ago, let me tell you all, I was thrilled by the beautiful sounds this new keyboard has, I describe them the best of the best no arguments about them. the problem is that there are so many good sounds to choose from that it will take a while to know all where they are. For those who like me use almost any type of backing this is the keyboard to go for. you can play any kind of midi file, mp3+lyrics, audio file, and what we call GEM songs, which mind you are superior to midi files. Edithing on this keyboard is like you are on a computer you can edith any thing on it.the ram is 5 mega
so you can upload over 62 midi song in it, you can play DIRECT from Hard disk, or CD Ram, Or Flopy or you can add an SCSI interface and upload and download direct from a computer or zip drive, what's more!!! there are so many feautures that I would never stop.In my opinion this is a state of the art keyboard and it is made from Sheet metal which I like very much cause PLASTIC will become very fragile by time. It is a heavy keyboard must admit but then you have a very good sound in it so if you dont like a heavy keyboard my advice take the SPEAKERS OFF, and buye it. and one other thing don't just listen to a quick demo. It took me about 3 days to start apreciating this keyboard properly. My advice for those who play live go and get this keyboard!!! Any Questions you like to ask please do.

Tony.

#169389 - 09/24/02 05:14 PM Re: Has anybody had a chance to compare the Tyros and Genisys?
trtjazz Offline

Well after all this chit chat between these two boards, I went back and listened to all the demos of both I could lay ears on. I think both are great sounding boards.....however (or but if you prefer) To my ears, the Genesys voices sound quite a bit harsher or brasher, the Tyros sounds mellower to me. Not saying either is bad, just an observation. For my needs the mellower Tyros sounds suit me better.

As for sheet metal vs plastic I will not live long enough for the plastic to disentegrate and if perchance I were to......I'll be sick of the board by then and want a new one anyway.
Terry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online