SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#219217 - 09/26/02 12:01 PM Uncle Dave (or another PA60 user), help required!
DannyUK Offline

Hi UD, just been catching up on some recent threads here, and your reviews and comments are certainly appreciated and much respected by myself...

I have a question about the PA60 (i think you bought one of these as well??)... during SMF playback (either when playing a created song OR a midi file), on various tracks, when changing a voice or drum kit, why does it sometimes revert back to its default?? I just cant understand it... The procedure i use is to select the sound i want within the track, save the song to disk and then playback.. but then i physically see the track change back to what it originally was... also, its certainly not the easiest kb to use when displaying tracks/mixer etc... very fiddly to say the least!

And one more quick question... does the kb have Bass/Trebble (or High/Low frequency changes?) The internal amp can do with a little more trebble as its not as clear sounding as it could be IMO. Bass is fine though.. Oh and another thing, changing effects such as Hall, Concert, Room etc.. again seems very complex (if im even looking in the right place).. i press the MENU button and select EFFECTS, but all i got is these stats and figures rather then a simple effect "name" such as hall or something obvious... even when i increase the number i cant hear a difference!

I have to admit, i was warned about how complex the kb is to use compared to others... I wish it was as easy to use as my X1!!

#219218 - 09/26/02 10:24 PM Re: Uncle Dave (or another PA60 user), help required!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by DannyUK:
why does it sometimes revert back to its default ... does the kb have Bass/Trebble

HI Danny,
The only way the sounds should change back is if they have a command embedded into the file. Maybe there is a sysex command?

There is NO EQ in th emaster section, but the effects offer several eq choices. The problem is - they are not easy to just punch up and adjust. There should be a way to
1) turn OFF the auto loudness feature, because it distortes too quickly at higher volumes, and
2) Send the master mix through a dedicated EQ that's easy to get to, see and adjust.

The overall tone of the Korg is great, but the sound system is weak and prone to distortion. I can't raise my sliders past the 3/4 mark at all. Remember though .... I'm singing through these speakers too, and I have a strong voice. I probably overdrive them with my vocals and there is no headroom left for bass and drums. I like the sound of the PA80 speakers better ... there's more sizzle, and I like that.

#219219 - 09/27/02 05:16 AM Re: Uncle Dave (or another PA60 user), help required!
DannyUK Offline

Thanks for your response UD... i now use the PA60 through a dedicated amp, sounds much better and more balanced... As for the tone controls, i am surprised that there isnt any sort of EQ control, though i remember the I30 not having any either... it does make a difference, especially at moderate levels without cranking it up too much.. the X1 for example sound excellent at a moderate level with the EQ right up, but as soon as you pass half way, the speakers struggle... but most of the time i dont use it that loud, so tone controls does help...

As for the other problem, im not sure what else to do. WIth the same midi files that i play in the X1, i am able to change the tracks as i wish.. in fact, there isnt one midi file or song that wont allow me to edit in the X1 where as there are quite a few on the PA60 (and if im not mistaken, when I used the GEM WK8 it was the same, some tracks wont allow me to change the volume or voice)...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online